2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It was pretty much a one-for-one...  it just so happened that Colorado flipped him back into our conference two years later.

Yea-- From the perspective we could have had Kerfoot or both of them though... it just would have been nice. NJ had a good offensive prospect in the system and he walked out on us.

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm aware. I'm speaking of it as it were an exchange so I want to be explicit that I am not totally unhappy with the Butcher coincidence.

He’s fine with Butcher because he’s a Devil. Kerfoot refused to be a Devil, so he sucks. Plus his name sounds like a sneeze. 

Not hard to understand. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s fine with Butcher because he’s a Devil. Kerfoot refused to be a Devil, so he sucks. Plus his name sounds like a sneeze. 

Not hard to understand. 

The difference is Butcher wants to win, Kerfoot clearly doesn't.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I agree, I think you have to wait to see what you have in Boqvist before you can trade someone like Bratt who already contributes 

Let me just.. brace for the blowback here that I'm going to get for this comment.  Okay, I think I'm ready.

I think Bratt is far from untouchable.  I know Devils fans are really, really high on him but.. I just don't see this elite player that everyone else does.  He scored some gorgeous shootout goals early on and I think people are forever biased by them (kinda similar to how people loved Henrique despite his performance sort of stagnating before we traded him).  I mean, Bratt was on pace for 50 pts last year after getting 30 in his first.. does anyone see him becoming a PPG guy?  Though I expect he'll get a nice bump playing with Hughes this year if he can stay healthy.  Obligatory: very young, not giving up on him, has room to grow, etc.

My long winded point here: If Bratt can be packaged for a bonafide stud, I think you have to entertain it. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

My long winded point here: If Bratt can be packaged for a bonafide stud, I think you have to entertain it. 

Correct. "Untouchable" means you wouldn't trade that player under any circumstances. Bratt is not in that category. I'm not sure any of our players are, although I wouldn't trade Smith or Hughes right now, as they are unknown quantities. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

B61661DE-4435-4686-836E-D076BC7ED265.jpeg

i think its irrelevant because they are going to match it anyway, But it's a good guess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

LOL What? Colorado made the playoffs. 

ha! There was a comment last week saying Panarin doesn't want to win a cup. Luckily Taylor, Subban and essentially everybody else in red and black do.  Insinuating Panarin lacked the drive and desire. Nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i think its irrelevant because they are going to match it anyway, But it's a good guess. 

Unless the contract is stupid AF, which would at least be entertaining.

Just now, titans04 said:

ha! There was a comment last week saying Panarin doesn't want to win a cup. Luckily Taylor, Subban and essentially everybody else in red and black do.  Insinuating Panarin lacked the drive and desire. Nonsense. 

Oh right. My bad lol. 

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Unless the contract is stupid AF, which would at least be entertaining.

Oh, for sure. If I were a GM I would be throwing out weird offer sheets to guys just to see if they'd sign and to watch the other team struggle to match them. Ultimately I think the Leafs are doing whatever they have to to keep Marner, but it'd be fun to torture them. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think Toronto matches too, but I think Lou wants to get his troll on and make life as difficult as possible for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh, for sure. If I were a GM I would be throwing out weird offer sheets to guys just to see if they'd sign and to watch the other team struggle to match them. Ultimately I think the Leafs are doing whatever they have to to keep Marner, but it'd be fun to torture them. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I think Toronto matches too, but I think Lou wants to get his troll on and make life as difficult as possible for them.

The best scenario is if the offer sheet falls in the middle between reasonable and retarded so TOR has to make a move to accommodate it. It immediately becomes Ray Shero hour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The best scenario is if the offer sheet falls in the middle between reasonable and retarded so TOR has to make a move to accommodate it. It immediately becomes Ray Shero hour.

I'm pretty sure he's waiting on exactly that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

444CB939-4CA3-422C-AFC6-92C412D5A489.jpeg

• Haha 2

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems like the Devils have a direct pipeline to the NHL and NHL marketing lately. Outside of the Hughes and Subban press, we're the subject of so much NHL marketing and social media presence, it seems to me our marketing department is carrying out a pretty strong vision and the NHL is totally on board with it. And that's in addition to the already very strong content created by the marketing department in the last year or two.

A couple months ago, you may remember Taylor Hall gave an interview about how he likes the flair and some of the personalities and marketing that exists in the NBA. The NHL kind of pushed that story a bit, which was interesting, because I saw it as critical of the NHL. Then we draft Hughes and go get P.K. Subban, which is the NHL headquarters in NY's pipe dream, to have figures like that in this market. The amount of press both have gotten since is obviously commensurate with that, just wait til they're in New Jersey, and the NHL offices, all their marketing and PR, all their sponsors and resources, etc. are right across the river. Rangers still have Lundqvist as a brand figure, but not much else (Panarin and Kakko was huge talents, but they aren't the potential media darlings some of our guys are); and in a quick few years, we have Hall, Subban, and soon Hughes that will be captivating the local and national press.

Now, that brings us to Monday, free agency day. It came and went, relatively quiet day from us, and yet, NHL is still pushing Devils stories: https://www.nhl.com/news/new-jersey-devils-plan-to-keep-adding-to-revamped-roster/c-308177034?tid=281072352

In a few of these stories, they're just kind of parroting the fact that the Devils aren't done, and we're "still going to make a splash", etc., stuff that seems more like they're passing along Devils intel, rather than just blind speculation. Almost like Shero has a couple deals in place with a few finishing touches, and they're preparing us for it. And then a day after that, you got this article, which takes the cake for me: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/03/golden-knights-could-give-up-a-gem-if-they-trade-gusev/

That article kind of paints Vegas into a corner on Gusev and has a closing line like this: 

"In a bolder league like the NBA, I’d be certain that all of the teams above, and more, were straining to take Gusev off of the Golden Knights’ hands. The risk is just so small compared to potentially significant rewards.

I’m not sure if there would be as many suitors in the less-creative, more conservative NHL, but all it takes is one team to trade for Gusev to mean a move happens. The Golden Knights would be wise just to remain Gusev’s team, instead, but we’ll see."

^^ It's almost like we wrote it haha

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Let me just.. brace for the blowback here that I'm going to get for this comment.  Okay, I think I'm ready.

I think Bratt is far from untouchable.  I know Devils fans are really, really high on him but.. I just don't see this elite player that everyone else does.  He scored some gorgeous shootout goals early on and I think people are forever biased by them (kinda similar to how people loved Henrique despite his performance sort of stagnating before we traded him).  I mean, Bratt was on pace for 50 pts last year after getting 30 in his first.. does anyone see him becoming a PPG guy?  Though I expect he'll get a nice bump playing with Hughes this year if he can stay healthy.  Obligatory: very young, not giving up on him, has room to grow, etc.

I don't see Bratt as untouchable at all. I was responding to the proposed trade of Bratt, Palms, and a first for Laine. What I meant was you're giving up your top RW and he's being vastly upgraded, but then you're also giving up your #2 RW or LW and I'm not sure who fills his shoes, that's all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It’s definitely not just one shootout goal for me (even though the one against Ottawa a couple years ago was one of only two games I’ve ever been to at the Rock!), I just think he’s one of the most dynamic offensive players on the team. Definitely one of the best passers. Idk if he’ll ever be “elite” or a PPG player, but I think he’s really good. Just need to see him play an entire season now. 

And he’s certainly not untouchable. Hughes is probably the only player that is truly untouchable atm. Although I would hate to trade Nico, Smith, Hall, or Bratt unless it’s for a damn good return. 

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It’s not irrelevant if the Islanders offer the 12.5 they were ready to pay Panarin.

I think they'll still figure out a way to match. Though, as mentioned, that could mean assets (which could mean Nylander) becoming available. 

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I agree, I have no problem Bratt being packaged for a bonafide stud.

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Yes, I stand by my prognosis that Panarin's primary motivation was coming to a big market, more to enjoy the lifestyle rather than winning a cup. Everyone disagreed with me and that's absolutely fine, time will tell.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hope Shero gets Marner and via a trade, the forward core will be complete with this guy for years to come.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2019/07/02/where-nj-devils-stand-taylor-hall/1614685001/

Excellent article, as I said Shero is patient and is going to take his time with the Devils. Although Hall is a big part of Shero's plan, I know that Shero has a backup and a backup to backup as he is a shrewd GM. Best quote from the article:

“This isn’t something to be rushed,” Shero said. “I want the information as well, the layout of what we’ve been thinking. That’s important to Josh and David. Some of the things we’ve done proves that we’ve improved the hockey team, not just for Taylor Hall, but improving our team is the most important thing. But we’re better than we were two weeks ago and we’ll see where we are in a couple months here.”

• Like 1

While I was a bit sour on Bratt last summer, this year he grew on me a bit.  He had injury issues including a really unlucky break with his jaw getting broken literally the day before their first game of the season in Sweden.  He put up 33 points in 51 games for a 53P per 82G pace, which is pretty good.

Now would I say he is untouchable?  Absolutely not.  However, I would not give him away for peanuts.

35 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While I was a bit sour on Bratt last summer, this year he grew on me a bit.  He had injury issues including a really unlucky break with his jaw getting broken literally the day before their first game of the season in Sweden.  He put up 33 points in 51 games for a 53P per 82G pace, which is pretty good.

Now would I say he is untouchable?  Absolutely not.  However, I would not give him away for peanuts.

Agreed. Unless someone really good is nicknamed Peanuts and I am just unaware of that fact. 

• Like 1