2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

54 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Someone on Hockeybuzz wrote a comment on Todd's article about Gusev to NJ --Apparently some 0 credibility twitter account is throwing around the rumor according to someone else there.

Earlier this morning, Incarcerated Bob (former "contributor" to WFAN) said the Devils were pushing hard today or something to that extent.

I know some people look at him like Єklund (2.3% accurate) or TheFraudPeriod, but he has been hitting on a lot more than he's been wrong lately [past 18-24 months]. Had the recent NFL suspensions before anyone else was even mentioning them. Obviously, I take everything with a grain of salt, but I follow for the better accuracy than the aforementioned busts.

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

What do you expect them to do?  Trade him?

They have a Vezina winning sure thing that deserves to be paid and they are a cup or bust team.  It's not like the cap hit is a surprise to their master plan.

No, don't trade him, but sign him to much more reasonable 4-5 year deal for less cash. Why lock him up forever and tie up your cap forever?

Edit: and hooray about getting Gusev! we need more dmen in the system, even though our track record with Russian ones is very poor

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

Sweet.  Gusev is a nice pick-up.  Our D suddenly looks much improved.   So who is the odd man out?  I don't know what's going to happen since we just re-signed Carrick, but I also don't see any of the other 4 in Greene/Butcher/Severson/Vatanen being pushed out of the lineup, and of course we have Subban, and it's likely that Smith makes the team this year, so something's gotta give...

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Sweet.  Gusev is a nice pick-up.  Our D suddenly looks much improved.   So who is the odd man out?  I don't know what's going to happen since we just re-signed Carrick, but I also don't see any of the other 4 in Greene/Butcher/Severson/Vatanen being pushed out of the lineup, and of course we have Subban, and it's likely that Smith makes the team this year, so something's gotta give...

Gusev is a forward....

Apologies if you're simply just trying to spark another conversation....

Edited by jagknife

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

nope, it's my mistake. Somehow I thought he was a dman from previous posts

So, I still need to see some more dman signed for depth this offseason

Do it Ray!

sh!t, so did I.  I'm not sure who I was thinking of.  Makes more sense now and glad we rounded out the LW spot.

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Gusev is a forward....

Apologies if you're simply just trying to spark another conversation....

Nope, totally thought he was D for some reason.  Guess I was thinking of someone else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

nope, it's my mistake. Somehow I thought he was a dman from previous posts

So, I still need to see some more dman signed for depth this offseason

Do it Ray!

I made the same mistake.  

But, to your point, and from my earlier post which is now pretty irrelevant lol, do we really need more d-man depth?  If Smith makes the team this year, you have to imagine the top 6 are him, Greene, Vatanen, Subban, Severson, and Butcher, with Carrick as the optional rotating 7th man.  I really can't see us signing anyone else, at least no one that would log serious minutes, without one of those guys being moved. 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I made the same mistake.  

But, to your point, and from my earlier post which is now pretty irrelevant lol, do we really need more d-man depth?  If Smith makes the team this year, you have to imagine the top 6 are him, Greene, Vatanen, Subban, Severson, and Butcher, with Carrick as the optional rotating 7th man.  I really can't see us signing anyone else, at least no one that would log serious minutes, without one of those guys being moved. 

Smith making it makes Mueller or Carrick very VERY expendable. I can't imagine them carrying 8 defenders....

Mueller for a 3rd would be a miracle, but we have seen worse before. and could use another after we wasted one on some guy playing defense this summer.... [note the italic sarcasm]

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I made the same mistake.  

Greene.. should honestly not see many minutes if Hynes has any logic in his bald head.

Carrick is unproven, Vatenen is usually hurt. I just want one solid low pairing veteran to count on.  Not sure who it is, but surely there is someone out there better than Carrick...

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Smith making it makes Mueller or Carrick very VERY expendable. I can't imagine them carrying 8 defenders....

Mueller for a 3rd would be a miracle, but we have seen worse before. and could use another after we wasted one on some guy playing defense this summer.... [note the italic sarcasm]

Agreed.  If Carrick AND Mueller are both around then it makes me wonder just slightly if Smith might not be a shoe-in for the team this year.  Is Mueller on a two-way deal or can be he sent down to the AHL?  I'm never the most familiar with that stuff but I thought at some point when you're past a certain age you can't go down anymore, and isn't Mueller like 24 or 25?

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed.  If Carrick AND Mueller are both around then it makes me wonder just slightly if Smith might not be a shoe-in for the team this year.  Is Mueller on a two-way deal or can be he sent down to the AHL?  I'm never the most familiar with that stuff but I thought at some point when you're past a certain age you can't go down anymore, and isn't Mueller like 24 or 25?

I think Carrick and Mueller are more there for insurance. Smith was knocking on the door a year ago and has only gotten better so I can't see him not making the team unless he has a disastrous training camp. Its better to have too many NHL defensemen than too little, and we know someone will get injured

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think Carrick and Mueller are more there for insurance. Smith was knocking on the door a year ago and has only gotten better so I can't see him not making the team unless he has a disastrous training camp. Its better to have too many NHL defensemen than too little, and we know someone will get injured

Yeah that's what I would assume as well, but the only way that happens is if one or both of them could be sent down, unless one of them is used as a healthy scratch for the better part of the season.  You're right though, def better to have too many than too few, and knock on wood, I'm sure the injury bug will rear its ugly head at some point.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah that's what I would assume as well, but the only way that happens is if one or both of them could be sent down, unless one of them is used as a healthy scratch for the better part of the season.  You're right though, def better to have too many than too few, and knock on wood, I'm sure the injury bug will rear its ugly head at some point.

According to Capfriendly , both Carrick and Mueller would need to go through waivers to go to the AHL. I'm not really worried about losing either of them though. Most teams will be pretty filled up by the time its time for final cuts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The beater car I drove in HS was sold less times than the Coyotes have been in the last 10 years. 

i dont understand why Atlanta was abandoned so fast while Bettman has been holding on to the Coyotes for like forever

I mean wow...just wow....I really could not draw up a better offseason. Subban and Gusev were both players found on "wish lists" for the devils across the blogosphere heading in to this offseason and Shero got both. Hynes can really put together a lineup with skill and speed on every line. Really should just end up being 4th line in name only with the ability to roll out lines that  all have the "fast, attack, support" mantra. 

Hall-Nico-Palms (love having 1 line I know works to tinker around elsewhere..a go to top line has been a staple of great Devil's teams)

Gusev- Hughes- Bratt (So much skill on the puck...hopefully they remember to shoot)

Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds (shut down veteran line with speed (coleman) and scoring (simmonds))

Wood-Zacha-Boqvist (High skill/speed 4th line that should take advantage of other teams lack of depth)

Hayden/Anderson/Rooney/Bastian/Mcleod/Seney as fill in depth....That is a DEEP forward group. 

21 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

According to Capfriendly , both Carrick and Mueller would need to go through waivers to go to the AHL. I'm not really worried about losing either of them though. Most teams will be pretty filled up by the time its time for final cuts

In general, the Devils don't have a waivers-friendly team, especially if Boqvist makes the top squad. This was true even before Gusev. Now the Devils are even less flexible. They'll likely make another small move or two before the offseason is done or will be forced to waive a Rooney, Hayden, Carrick, etc...

So glad we didnt waste our cap on garbage moves just to do "something" like ive seen advocated by a few posters.

Specifically the kind of posters upset that we didnt sign shattenkirk, or jvr etc last year or the year before. Patience is a virtue.

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

So glad we didnt waste our cap on garbage moves just to do "something" like ive seen advocated by a few posters.

Specifically the kind of posters upset that we didnt sign shattenkirk, or jvr etc last year or the year before. Patience is a virtue.

This.  A big middle finger to those of you who bitched last offseason that Ray was "sitting on his hands". He makes 1-2 dumb moves last offseason, NONE of this happens this summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Yes. Shero has been my fav GM in the league for quite awhile because of the way he was handling things. Many would remember i'd always bring him up as an example of how i thought a specific situation should be handled. And that was long before he was in NJ and as soon as he got fired I wanted him to replace Lou so bad. 

Then i remember all my points and examples were discarded with stuff like "any GM having Crosby and Malkin from the get go have a way easier job bla bla bla bla".

Then he landed here and was handed possibly the worst group and assets any GM could be given and he turned it around incredibly fast with that in mind. 

To me it's absolutely insane that some posters were bashing him for not doing enough. Absolutely insane. He's done a PHENOMENAL job so far. God knows if it will really pan out, that's out of his hands after awhile, it's up to the coach and players to get it done. Always thought it was unfair that he got fired from pittsburgh but im sure glad he did

• Like 1