Jump to content
Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

To me it seems like our line up is near complete as guys have a lot of confidence in Boqvist making the opening roster. There still seems to be a spot for a RW.

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Boqvist - Hughes - Palms
Coleman - Zajac - Simmonds
Wood - Zacha - ??? (Anderson)
Rooney/Hayden

Vatanen - Subban
Butcher - Severson
Greene - Smith
Carrick

Schneider
Blackwood

1. Lots of teams are going to be in cap hell soon after their RFAs are signed. I think Shero does make a couple of major trades prior to October or acquires some really good players via waivers.

2. During the regular season, I think Shero deals Greene to go play for a cup contender as a "favor" and gets something in return. This will open up a spot for a younger player.

 

 

i always thought Greener would be traded back home to Detroit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Dude your whole "you argument is stupid" comments every time you're stuck in a corner not able to actually bring arguments to a debate is getting really really old. I know that you're actually old and trying hard to stay young with juvenile humour on a message board. But get some better material after awhile. 

The facts are. I said Kucherov's hit was the same as most Stevens hit, so if you defend one, you gotta accept the others.

Then you said one was legal and one was illegal, which is false. It's the same hit and both are still legal to this day. Always getting the opponent hard in the chest or shoulder and the head is not the main point of contact.

Then i said i don't really care even if the rules have changed, if it's still the same action i'll judge the intent the same way. Then made that analogy explaining that an action is the same to me no matter the context, era and current rules/law... that you made sure to spin in a way to miss the point i was making instead of actually addressing the point, again. I re-explained the point, you typically ignored it and again just said it was stupid. Super typical.

Oh and the best part... when i said it was actually legal and that he didn't get suspended, you said the call on the ice was missed and again tried to make me look like a fool saying i didn't know hockey or something. It's hilarious cause if you made that comment, clearly you didn't know that a play can still be reviewed by the department of safety even if there was no call and result in a suspension. Then i called you out on it... you responded with "Do you think they ever got something wrong, or are they infallible?" haha like... if there's ever an example of someone not willing to simply admit that he's wrong.. here it is. It's especially hilarious when it's happening right after trying to mock someone that he doesnt know hockey. That's straight up karma.

I supported my argument with multiple professional opinions (like people actually getting paid to make these decisions and Scotty himself) and the actual result of the review. You brought.... your very own biased opinion and said a few fans agreed too lol yeah that's worth something. Denial 101.

You legit got nothing here man.

You’re boring. And your analogy was stupid, like most of yours are, and offensive. 

The honest truth is, you can’t handle someone  disagreeing with you, especially me. I may be old, but you’re a bubble wrapped millennial. 

Edited by mfitz804

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

fvcking hell I can't wait til this off-season is over

Same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

fvcking hell I can't wait til this off-season is over

Post of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re boring. And your analogy was stupid, like most of your are, and offensive. 

The honest truth is, you can’t handle someone  disagreeing with you, especially me. I may be old, but you’re a bubble wrapped millennial. 

let it go GIF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DevilMinder said:

let it go GIF

You got it. Can’t resist a good Disney reference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you do Vatanen or Severson for Ehlers?

Is it possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Would you do Vatanen or Severson for Ehlers?

Is it possible?

our D is what we need to upgrade as much as possible so i wouldn't trade Severson unless we get something crazy. Vatanen well if Shero knows he's not interested in coming back i'd look into moving him possibly tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Would you do Vatanen or Severson for Ehlers?

Is it possible?

No. While I really like Ehlers and think WPG fans need to cut him slack,  he isn't needed imo. The way this time is shaping up, we have more ?'s on D then offense. Trading our current 2 best isn't making us much better imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

No. While I really like Ehlers and think WPG fans need to cut him slack,  he isn't needed imo. The way this time is shaping up, we have more ?'s on D then offense. Trading our current 2 best isn't making us much better imo.

I’d give them Vatanen all day long. He’s older and on an expiring contract. Winnipeg would never agree to it, it would be pretty stupid on their part. 

It would leave us with another hole on Defense, though. But I’d be ok with trying to find a replacement for Vatanen, who you’re probably trading at the deadline (unless you’re”in it”) anyway. 

EDIT: Maybe it makes more sense for the Jets than I thought. It’s a “win now” move, fills the hole left by Trouba, and gives them a little more money for Laine. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, jagknife said:

I honestly think Greene will end his career here. Unless we’re out of the playoff hunt by a wide margin, I don’t see him asking for a trade.

I do agree with your first point though, I feel like a trade is coming in the next few weeks/months

 

8 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

i always thought Greener would be traded back home to Detroit

 

After doing some research, these are the teams we can potentially end up dealing with
VGK/21/85.0M - 80M after clarkson is put on IR, they still need 2 more Dmen and Gusev. Make room for 5 million
NYR/22/82.4M - Buchnevich is arbitration eligible. Lemieux/DeAngelo are not waiver exempt. Make room for 7-8 million.
TOR/23/77.7M - Even Horton on IR wont give them much cap relief, they need to shed around 8 million to sign marner
VAN/24/76.4M - They have Boeser who is in line for a hefty raise, they may wing it
TBL/21/75.9M - This is interesting as they have Point to sign and 2 more forwards, they need 8 million or so in cap space
BOS/22/73.4M - McAvoy, but they probably need to make room for another 2-3 million cap space
CGY/21/71.5M - they have a bunch of RFAs they need to sign, Tkachuk being the best, maybe 2-3 million cap space

Now, I do understand that most of you think that these teams will figure out a way to bail themselves out, my take, that wont happen. If you take the total amount that needs to be moved, approximately 40 million, there just aren't enough teams to spread that kind of money around as the teams that are at the bottom still have their own signings to do, whether this year or the next. Whats happened here is that the sum total of all salaries seems to have tallied up near to or exceeded the sum total of the entire cap of all 31 teams combined. Basically, there will two types of trades, some involving multiple players going both ways and others where some major piece and picks/prospect is moved for a bag of pucks. The teams in the middle have some more signings and will most like be near the cap by the time their rosters are complete and may not be able to provide much cap relief. After all the signings and trades, if the only two teams left on Sep 30th are Devils and Leafs, the Devils will be in a position to practically demand anything as leafs would've run out of options. Shero, Sakic and Dorion are probably preparing for this moment, not so much as Sakic, I'd think.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Would you do Vatanen or Severson for Ehlers?

Is it possible?

Shero might very well upgrade the D as well.

Edited by Anhkheg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

 

 

After doing some research, these are the teams we can potentially end up dealing with
VGK/21/85.0M - 80M after clarkson is put on IR, they still need 2 more Dmen and Gusev. Make room for 5 million
NYR/22/82.4M - Buchnevich is arbitration eligible. Lemieux/DeAngelo are not waiver exempt. Make room for 7-8 million.
TOR/23/77.7M - Even Horton on IR wont give them much cap relief, they need to shed around 8 million to sign marner
VAN/24/76.4M - They have Boeser who is in line for a hefty raise, they may wing it
TBL/21/75.9M - This is interesting as they have Point to sign and 2 more forwards, they need 8 million or so in cap space
BOS/22/73.4M - McAvoy, but they probably need to make room for another 2-3 million cap space
CGY/21/71.5M - they have a bunch of RFAs they need to sign, Tkachuk being the best, maybe 2-3 million cap space

Now, I do understand that most of you think that these teams will figure out a way to bail themselves out, my take, that wont happen. If you take the total amount that needs to be moved, approximately 40 million, there just aren't enough teams to spread that kind of money around as the teams that are at the bottom still have their own signings to do, whether this year or the next. Whats happened here is that the sum total of all salaries seems to have tallied up near to or exceeded the sum total of the entire cap of all 31 teams combined. Basically, there will two types of trades, some involving multiple players going both ways and others where some major piece and picks/prospect is moved for a bag of pucks. The teams in the middle have some more signings and will most like be near the cap by the time their rosters are complete and may not be able to provide much cap relief. After all the signings and trades, if the only two teams left on Sep 30th are Devils and Leafs, the Devils will be in a position to practically demand anything as leafs would've run out of options. Shero, Sakic and Dorion are probably preparing for this moment, not so much as Sakic, I'd think.

Some good observations in there that i didnt think about.

But isn't it possible that we see another type of trade? Major pieces traded for picks. Then you don't have to take on salary in return for a lesser return. I feel we may see a lot of that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Some good observations in there that i didnt think about.

But isn't it possible that we see another type of trade? Major pieces traded for picks. Then you don't have to take on salary in return for a lesser return. I feel we may see a lot of that too

Anything is possible at this point, but I guess the expectation is that we’ll take on salary because we are so far below the cap. Some kind of mix of the two would be ideal, bring in two upgrades, only one of them requiring us to also take on a bad contract. 

Unless, of course, the bad contracts expire in the next year or two, in which case, adding two of them wouldn’t be the worst thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Some good observations in there that i didnt think about.

But isn't it possible that we see another type of trade? Major pieces traded for picks. Then you don't have to take on salary in return for a lesser return. I feel we may see a lot of that too

Yes, I mentioned the bag of pucks which is essentially what I meant. The key here is to identify what players will these teams have to move to get under the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

Yes, I mentioned the bag of pucks which is essentially what I meant. The key here is to identify what players will these teams have to move to get under the cap.

ah ok ok, i just thought you meant they'd have to get a really sh!tty return for their player. If you can get a combination of first and 2nd round picks it can be worth it at times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

 

 

After doing some research, these are the teams we can potentially end up dealing with
VGK/21/85.0M - 80M after clarkson is put on IR, they still need 2 more Dmen and Gusev. Make room for 5 million
NYR/22/82.4M - Buchnevich is arbitration eligible. Lemieux/DeAngelo are not waiver exempt. Make room for 7-8 million.
TOR/23/77.7M - Even Horton on IR wont give them much cap relief, they need to shed around 8 million to sign marner
VAN/24/76.4M - They have Boeser who is in line for a hefty raise, they may wing it
TBL/21/75.9M - This is interesting as they have Point to sign and 2 more forwards, they need 8 million or so in cap space
BOS/22/73.4M - McAvoy, but they probably need to make room for another 2-3 million cap space
CGY/21/71.5M - they have a bunch of RFAs they need to sign, Tkachuk being the best, maybe 2-3 million cap space

Now, I do understand that most of you think that these teams will figure out a way to bail themselves out, my take, that wont happen. If you take the total amount that needs to be moved, approximately 40 million, there just aren't enough teams to spread that kind of money around as the teams that are at the bottom still have their own signings to do, whether this year or the next. Whats happened here is that the sum total of all salaries seems to have tallied up near to or exceeded the sum total of the entire cap of all 31 teams combined. Basically, there will two types of trades, some involving multiple players going both ways and others where some major piece and picks/prospect is moved for a bag of pucks. The teams in the middle have some more signings and will most like be near the cap by the time their rosters are complete and may not be able to provide much cap relief. After all the signings and trades, if the only two teams left on Sep 30th are Devils and Leafs, the Devils will be in a position to practically demand anything as leafs would've run out of options. Shero, Sakic and Dorion are probably preparing for this moment, not so much as Sakic, I'd think.

Shero might very well upgrade the D as well.

The big splash possibilities are a Marner offersheet (which Toronto almost certainly would not match) or a Laine trade.  At this point, I don’t think there would be anyone else willing and able to do the four first round pick offer sheet except for us.  Montreal probably has better pieces to trade for Laine than we do if that’s something that’s going to happen.  Perhaps those are still things that are up in the air for both teams which is why nothing has happened with Gusev (remember it was Montreal and the Devils who are supposedly the front runners for him).

Based on who the Devils selected at the draft, it wouldn’t surprise me if Shero brought up the idea of Brandon Carlo coming along with Backes’ salary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The big splash possibilities are a Marner offersheet (which Toronto almost certainly would not match) or a Laine trade.  At this point, I don’t think there would be anyone else willing and able to do the four first round pick offer sheet except for us.  Montreal probably has better pieces to trade for Laine than we do if that’s something that’s going to happen.  Perhaps those are still things that are up in the air for both teams which is why nothing has happened with Gusev (remember it was Montreal and the Devils who are supposedly the front runners for him).

Based on who the Devils selected at the draft, it wouldn’t surprise me if Shero brought up the idea of Brandon Carlo coming along with Backes’ salary.

lots of rumours about Laine and MTL. I'm not sure what they'd trade without taking a step back though, ive seen rumours that Domi could be a main piece but i'm not sure the Jets would go for that.

You can't help but being happy that Shero is in a good position to take advantage of the situation if there's an opportunity. That's always been part of his plan and it's simply the smartest way to go at it. You always try to put yourself in the best possible position to get the better result without sacrificing too much.

I have a feeling Vegas is probably trying to move a player, sign Gusev to really see what they have though. But of course, they are not the Rangers to other teams won't jump through fire to help them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lots of rumours about Laine and MTL. I'm not sure what they'd trade without taking a step back though, ive seen rumours that Domi could be a main piece but i'm not sure the Jets would go for that.

You can't help but being happy that Shero is in a good position to take advantage of the situation if there's an opportunity. That's always been part of his plan and it's simply the smartest way to go at it. You always try to put yourself in the best possible position to get the better result without sacrificing too much.

I have a feeling Vegas is probably trying to move a player, sign Gusev to really see what they have though. But of course, they are not the Rangers to other teams won't jump through fire to help them

I’ve heard Drouin.  If you believe in him, he’s a pretty valuable player given his contract.  He’s a better player than Bratt, who I figure would be one of the big pieces we’d be sending to them. 

We become a really good team very quickly if you add Laine or Marner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

 

 

After doing some research, these are the teams we can potentially end up dealing with
VGK/21/85.0M - 80M after clarkson is put on IR, they still need 2 more Dmen and Gusev. Make room for 5 million
NYR/22/82.4M - Buchnevich is arbitration eligible. Lemieux/DeAngelo are not waiver exempt. Make room for 7-8 million.
TOR/23/77.7M - Even Horton on IR wont give them much cap relief, they need to shed around 8 million to sign marner
VAN/24/76.4M - They have Boeser who is in line for a hefty raise, they may wing it
TBL/21/75.9M - This is interesting as they have Point to sign and 2 more forwards, they need 8 million or so in cap space
 BOS/22/73.4M - McAvoy, but they probably need to make room for another 2-3 million cap space
CGY/21/71.5M - they have a bunch of RFAs they need to sign, Tkachuk being the best, maybe 2-3 million cap space

Not sure I follow some of this, especially where you are getting the cap space clearance numbers for TOR and TBL. I might just be misunderstanding you. Toronto seems to me to be pretty close to being aok at least for this year. It depends on what Marner signs for. Perhaps you are saying that the 8M is pre-Horton to LTIR? In any case 11M+ for Marner would squeeze Toronto a bit but not to the point they'd be in huge trouble. They could run into more issues next year though. For TB, they currently have 5.57M in cap space with Callahan due to go to IR. Again, exact space depends on what Point signs for but once they do sign him and Erne (small contract) they will have a roster of 23. At that point they can even waive a goalie for a forward contract half the size and save 500K or so. In my view they'll probably be okay going into the season. They can't add any players but they can wait until the deadline to do that anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Not sure I follow some of this, especially where you are getting the cap space clearance numbers for TOR and TBL. I might just be misunderstanding you. Toronto seems to me to be pretty close to being aok at least for this year. It depends on what Marner signs for. Perhaps you are saying that the 8M is pre-Horton to LTIR? In any case 11M+ for Marner would squeeze Toronto a bit but not to the point they'd be in huge trouble. They could run into more issues next year though. For TB, they currently have 5.57M in cap space with Callahan due to go to IR. Again, exact space depends on what Point signs for but once they do sign him and Erne (small contract) they will have a roster of 23. At that point they can even waive a goalie for a forward contract half the size and save 500K or so. In my view they'll probably be okay going into the season. They can't add any players but they can wait until the deadline to do that anyway.

It seems pretty clear that Toronto will not match an offer sheet above the four first rounder threshold.  They could probably match if they wanted to and be cap compliant, but it would give them very little room to maneuver.  Hence Dubas's comments that it wasn't a given that he would match and Bob MacKenzie's recent tweets that suggest that's the case too.

Edited by Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the biggest problem with Marner i think is that he wants a short contract... less than 4 years so it's a bad gamble if you have to send 4 first rounders cause he may pull the same sh!t for his next contract and there's no guarantee youd keep him then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the biggest problem with Marner i think is that he wants a short contract... less than 4 years so it's a bad gamble if you have to send 4 first rounders cause he may pull the same sh!t for his next contract and there's no guarantee youd keep him then

Isnt the term part of the offer sheet, if you offer sheet him for 7 yrs at X, you have him for 7 years, no?  If he doesnt sign sheet then you dont lose the 4 picks.  I wouldnt send offer sheet for 4 yrs if thats what ya mean

Edited by lucifer91
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

Isnt the term part of the offer sheet, if you offer sheet him for 7 yrs at X, you have him for 7 years, no?  If he doesnt sign sheet then you dont lose the 4 picks.  I wouldnt send offer sheet for 4 yrs if thats what ya mean

No i mean... i wouldnt want to sign him for 2 years... which is apparently what he's been going for, a shorter deal so he can get more money in a few years. Then if sh!t goes down and only had him for 2 years well it may not have been too worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.