2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My high school rec team had replicas of those. I went to Westfield HS but they didn’t have a team back then so I played for Cranford rec team (they didn’t have a HS team either).

It was those same jerseys but instead of the logo it said Cranford diagonally down like the Rangers. Had the Blue with gold rings on the sleeves and waist too.

Of course they were of really sh!tty quality but it was just a rec league.

Edited by Jerzey

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m not sure I necessarily agree with that. Just look at the Cup final last season. Two great goalies in Rask and Binnington. The year before that it was MAF and Holtby. Sure you can win with guys like Corey Crawford or Matt Murray if you surround them with a bunch of HoFers, but having elite goaltending is just as important as ever, imo. 

Maybe I was reading this wrong but it sounded to me like the original point of this comment was that having a Rask or MAF or Holtby (established goaltender - I won't say elite) was a more important factor for a team than having a generally unestablished goaltender like Crawford or Murray.. a point of which I disagreed with.  I was highlighting the fact that these less established goalies have taken teams just as deep into the playoffs i.e. Crow, Murray, Mrazek, Jones.

the fact is... winning a cup is not about ONE position. It's all about how the team plays together. 

You can win a cup with a goaltender going on a crazy run. You can make it to the finals with a no-name defense playing a good system. You can make it without a true #1 elite center if you have enough depth and fire power up front.

It's truly all about the balance. Not about one specific thing. If your team is very strong in front of you... you won't need the best goalie ever.. see the blackhawks winning with crawford or wtv... if your team is average than you'll need a patrick roy like MTL in 93... 

season preview by nhlcom

superficial. You don’t hear anything special or anything new. Or another angle.

what kind of Textwriter job is? Reading forums about 15 minutes once or twice in a week?

Edited by Guadana

54 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How in-depth do you expect it to be? It says in the title they’re doing 31 teams in 31 days.

I think they did a good job.

Something that will cost 40 hours in a week. And if it about one team? Do you think that this information truly needs in 8 hours of responsible work? I don’t. For me it’s not enough to talk about how devils is good and spend their summer time. 

I hope you understand that I’m “against” them, not you.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m sorry but I have no idea what you mean. 

How much time you need to write something same about rangers offseason? About their trades and nearest future prospects? In the same way and scope as in preview. 

I just little bit disappointed that biggest nhl online resource doesn’t dig deeper, doesn’t consider internal  competition, etc. Trades, Hughes, look at past traumatic hall and schneider. That’s all. For me it’s not enough for considerable resource. 

On 8/16/2019 at 6:53 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have to say, they hit a bullseye with this design.  Doesn't need to re-invent the wheel but still creative and it obviously shows they are celebrating a milestone.

These mostly white, clean-looking jerseys really look good on the Adidas and even Reebok templates and this is a good example of it.  Another good example has been my other favorite non-Devils alternate of the last 10 years which was the Red Wings Centennial Classic uniform that was mostly white with some silver accents.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have to say, they hit a bullseye with this design.  Doesn't need to re-invent the wheel but still creative and it obviously shows they are celebrating a milestone.

These mostly white, clean-looking jerseys really look good on the Adidas and even Reebok templates and this is a good example of it.  Another good example has been my other favorite non-Devils alternate of the last 10 years which was the Red Wings Centennial Classic uniform that was mostly white with some silver accents.

Yeah, the bolded pretty much sums it up for me.  Perfect "augmented" design for a celebratory jersey. 

Anybody ever stay at the Marriott next to Prudential? I live pretty far away ~1.5 hrs away, and am going to opening night. Typically i make the drive home but since it is a friday night I wanted to make a night of it with the wife. Maybe go to the bars after the game? It looks pretty nice and has good ratings, my other option would be to stay somewhere close to the wayne area and uber/lyft it to the hotel/wayne area bars after the game.

I assume they have enough off street parking?

1 hour ago, lucifer91 said:

Anybody ever stay at the Marriott next to Prudential? I live pretty far away ~1.5 hrs away, and am going to opening night. Typically i make the drive home but since it is a friday night I wanted to make a night of it with the wife. Maybe go to the bars after the game? It looks pretty nice and has good ratings, my other option would be to stay somewhere close to the wayne area and uber/lyft it to the hotel/wayne area bars after the game.

I assume they have enough off street parking?

If you're not in the area too often for any significant amount of time, I'd say your best bet for some great food and drinks is in the Ironbound 5 minute walk away (yes, it's safe), somewhere like Iberia Peninsula, Fornos of Spain, or one of my favorites, Adega Grill (great bar room too) is where it's at. I also like Portucale for some great Portuguese food (shrimp in garlic sauce, grilled octopus, grilled meat, etc.) which also has a bar and should be open late too. A lot of options around, and in my opinion, really quality options; if you dig Brazilian or general Iberian food, there's really nothing in the Northeast, in my opinion, that beats this slice of Newark. And they all have bars of different sizes and shapes if you're just looking to just hop around and get drinks. Iberia Peninsula has fun little outdoor area if the weather's nice too.

That's all in addition to the bars immediately around the arenas too, which should be buzzing after the home opener.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

I've never parked, but I've stayed there a few times. It's a fine hotel. There's an exit that's 'in' the big bridge that connects Newark Penn Station to the Prudential Center, so it's probably the single most convenient place to stay. 

There'll be plenty of bars walking distance from the Pru after the game is over. 

The Hilton is super convenient as well. That’s were we stayed the couple times we’ve came up there for games. Connects right to the train station, and has a walkway that takes you directly across the street from the arena.