Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri

Coleman-Zacha-Boqvist

Wood-Zajac-Simmonds

Greene-Subban

Butcher-Severson

Smith-Vatanen

Schneider, Blackwood

This is a good roster in terms of talent and positioning. My question is, who did you waive in order to bring up both Smith and Boqvist to the NHL roster? You're at 24 players. Hayden?  Rooney?

I'm not trying to say I disagree with your lineup in terms of who is there. I think we all would like to see that roster take the ice opening night. But either Ray is going to make some roster cleanup moves, waive a player currently on the roster, or send Boqvist back to Sweden. I didn't think Boqvist would ever have a chance of being sent back, but with Gusev now on the roster, it at least becomes a possibility. 

Edited by Neb00rs

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This is a good roster in terms of talent and positioning. My question is, who did you waive in order to bring up both Smith and Boqvist to the NHL roster? You're at 24 players. Hayden?  Rooney?

I'm not trying to say I disagree with your lineup in terms of who is there. I think we all would like to see that roster take the ice opening night. But either Ray is going to make some roster cleanup moves, waive a player currently on the roster, or send Boqvist back to Sweden. I didn't think Boqvist would ever have a chance of being sent back, but with Gusev now on the roster, it at least becomes a possibility. 

If boqvist looks half as good as people are saying, you don’t think twice in waiving a guy like Kevin rooney. Any reason they can’t just be healthy scratches?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If boqvist looks half as good as people are saying, you don’t think twice in waiving a guy like Kevin rooney. Any reason they can’t just be healthy scratches?

Teams can only have 23 players on their active NHL roster. The Devils are at 24 with Smith and Boqvist on the big squad. And the only waivers exempt players would be Smith, Boqvist, Hischier, Bratt, Hughes, and Blackwood. So you have to waive a player or send one of the previous mentioned players down/back to juniors/Sweden.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I'll give it a go.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri

Coleman-Zacha-Boqvist

Wood-Zajac-Simmonds

Greene-Subban

Butcher-Severson

Smith-Vatanen

Schneider, Blackwood

That’s how I’d do it. I know it’s assumed Hughes and Simmonds will skate together, I don’t think that’s a good idea for a second line, and I can’t justify either Zacha or Zaharia on the 2nd, nor Hughes on the 3rd or 4th. 

Although, as we aren’t sure yet what Hughes brings on the NHL level, Coleman-Hughes-Boqvist might be ok to have a look at. Not as a regular line but as a “look and see”. Boqvist is an unknown quantity, and I wonder if Coleman’s game wouldn’t be greatly elevated. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I'll give it a go.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri

Coleman-Zacha-Boqvist

Wood-Zajac-Simmonds

Greene-Subban

Butcher-Severson

Smith-Vatanen

Schneider, Blackwood

The only thing I don't like is Andy Greene on the top pair, but who are we kidding...that is prob where he'll end up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hall-Hughes-Simmonds

Boqvist-Hischier-Palmieri

Bratt-Zacha-Gusev

Coleman-Zajac-Wood

Boqvist and Bratt are left handed and Gusev is rh. Gusev played RW in Khl. I made my lines with logic where one is experience player, one player with two years and one is a rookie. And Zajac with Coleman can play against first lines in defensive zone - Zajac win FO, Coleman or Wood are going  into breakaway. Another three skill lines can play against weaker lines. Best opponent defensemen play against Hall, Simmonds is a body for the opposite, Hall will pumping Hughes. Another two lines with Hischier and Palms or with Gusev will punishing understaffed unspeedy lines. Every our lines has dispatchers. No small lines. I don’t like idea where Hughes and Gusev will play together because they are small dispatchers. 

Hischier and Palms were play together, Bratt and Zacha too; Hall and Jack are training together this summer. And zajac line of course. 

And I don’t think that’s gonna happen.

Edited by Guadana

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The only thing I don't like is Andy Greene on the top pair, but who are we kidding...that is prob where he'll end up.

If the devils can avoid it — and they can — they shouldn’t play a defenseman on his off-side. 

Vatanen is the only guy who’s demonstrated some ability to handle that. But if it can be avoided, it should be. 

14 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Imagine interviewing Ray Shero for ten minutes and not asking him about Taylor Hall.

https://www.nhl.com/devils/video/nhl-tonight-ray-shero/t-277437418/c-68692603

Is it just me (and very well might be since I live two time zones away now), but are the pitch-forks logo starting to appear more and more? Its a secondary logo behind Dano and the other guy and I feel like I've seen something like that a lot more this summer...

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Is it just me (and very well might be since I live two time zones away now), but are the pitch-forks logo starting to appear more and more? Its a secondary logo behind Dano and the other guy and I feel like I've seen something like that a lot more this summer...

That’s the first time I’ve seen it in my life tbh 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Imagine interviewing Ray Shero for ten minutes and not asking him about Taylor Hall.

https://www.nhl.com/devils/video/nhl-tonight-ray-shero/t-277437418/c-68692603

I had wondered why he decided to break his silence with the NHL network and that's probably why.  He could ask them not to ask him about Taylor Hall and they would oblige.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

I had wondered why he decided to break his silence with the NHL network and that's probably why.  He could ask them not to ask him about Taylor Hall and they would oblige.

I did have a similar thought - he has been silent since early July but that's largely because nothing happened until he traded for Gusev after which, yeah, he still gave a very terse statement and said nothing more. He might have asked them not to ask about it - it's almost too idiotic to think they wouldn't without that request - but that we don't know for sure makes me inclined to not put it past NHL Network hosts to just forget. I suppose I pay attention to Toronto media a lot, where Dubas isn't given the same latitude with the inner workings of the Maple Leafs - and couldn't really demand it.  I oft forget that hockey media down here is a lot more accommodating to teams' and players' sensibilities.

I'm with Tri - I'll bet he agreed to come on with the condition that he not be asked about Taylor Hall.

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

Hmm I can't say I've seen it before - and as far as a second logo goes.. I'm fine with it I guess so long as they don't touch our timeless standard logo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hmm I can't say I've seen it before - and as far as a second logo goes.. I'm fine with it I guess so long as they don't touch our timeless standard logo.

Yeah I’m with you on this. A secondary logo is fun for banners and merchandise, but not for our main jersey. 

If they wanted to make a true 3rd jersey, worn like 5-6 times a year, I would accept that because 1) it’s an excuse to buy another jersey, like I needed one, and 2) it would be fun to watch people melt down like they did with the Adidas redesign. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen it in my life tbh 

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm with Tri - I'll bet he agreed to come on with the condition that he not be asked about Taylor Hall.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I’m with you on this. A secondary logo is fun for banners and merchandise, but not for our main jersey. 

If they wanted to make a true 3rd jersey, worn like 5-6 times a year, I would accept that because 1) it’s an excuse to buy another jersey, like I needed one, and 2) it would be fun to watch people melt down like they did with the Adidas redesign. 

I really have no idea why I feel like I've seen it... oh well....

Is there a devils beach bash this year? I’ve been looking online still no news.

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, devlman said:

Anyone know when tix go on sale?

They went on sale 25 minutes ago. The season opener vs Winnipeg is already almost sold out.

Edited by Devils01

27 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

They went on sale 25 minutes ago. The season opener vs Winnipeg is already almost sold out.

Judging from Stubhub though it seems like a lot of scumbags grabbed tickets to flip em for a profit.

Nothing new, of course, but man do I hate people like that with a passion.

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You don’t see Ty Smith cracking the opening night lineup?

I’ll be pretty disappointed if he doesn’t. 

I'm not sure.  Based on past trends, I could see the young(er) guys being eased into the lineup and not necessarily getting the start on opening night, but I kinda hope I'm wrong and I wouldn't mind, or be surprised, if he was in and Carrick was out.

18 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

imo,  Hughes will be playing with Simmons all year. That's why he was brought in.  I don't believe you can put 3 small fw's on same line. evah!!

In fact you might see Woody or Zacha moved up. None of those 3 can stand up for themselves. 

Normally I like the lines balanced in the way you describe, i.e. with one or two skilled guys and then someone who is gritty and tough to protect them, but with 3 smaller guys like Hughes Bratt and Gusev, I think they have so much skill that it might not be an issue.  I sort of think of it in terms of the Lightning when they had Palat, Johnson, and Killorn/Kucherov.  None of those guys are big, nor gritty, and it still worked out really well for them and they dominated for quite a while.

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think it’s about 99% he’ll be in and Carrick will sit. It honestly feels like we have one too many defensemen right now, I’m still anticipating a trade. 

I hope you're right, and I'd say it's probably 50-50 right now.  Being that Carrick had a limited showing last year, I feel like, if he has a good camp, they might slide him in first and then eventually work Smith in, but I could easily see Smith totally impressing and essentially forcing the coaching staff to start him.  We'll see.

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I also hope to see Boqvist out there. 

Me too.  I think he'll get time, but I think it'll be limited and they're going to ease him into games here and there.

17 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Subban, Vatanen, and Severson are right-handed shots. Carrick is a right-handed shot. Greene, Butcher, and Mueller are the left-handed shots. Ty Smith is a left-handed shot. So yeah, if you're asking me who has a better chance to play opening night, Carrick or Smith, I'd say Smith. But you never know and handedness isn't everything.

I should have clarified...when I write a proposed lineup, for the d-men, I rarely, if ever, coordinate them in terms of which side I think a guy is gonna be on.  I merely just write it up in terms of the pairings and which line I think a guy will be on.  I know it's important, but I actually seldom remember which of our guys are LD and RD, and some coaches don't particularly place much emphasis on it, so it slips my mind quite often and I just overlook it when making the pairings.

can Smith play in the ahl? or is it Devils or back to Jr.?

Posted (edited)

I can't help but wonder if Wood and/or Zacha might be on their way out of town via trade. 

Looking at the hypothetical lineups.. Wood and Zajac can't be on the 4th line.  It's a waste of money in Zajac's instance (less of a concern) and a waste of talent for Wood (more of a concern).   

Frankly, I could see Wood requesting a trade anyway if he's getting <10 minutes a game in a 4th line role.

I wonder what kind of talent we could acquire for these two - Zacha and Wood - in a package.

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Judging from Stubhub though it seems like a lot of scumbags grabbed tickets to flip em for a profit.

Nothing new, of course, but man do I hate people like that with a passion.

Isn't that like..... Illegal?

55 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I can't help but wonder if Wood and/or Zacha might be on their way out of town via trade. 

Looking at the hypothetical lineups.. Wood and Zajac can't be on the 4th line.  It's a waste of money in Zajac's instance (less of a concern) and a waste of talent for Wood (more of a concern).   

Frankly, I could see Wood requesting a trade anyway if he's getting <10 minutes a game in a 4th line role.

I wonder what kind of talent we could acquire for these two - Zacha and Wood - in a package.

You don't think Wood on the 4th line, with his speed, would be able to take advantage of other team's slower 4th lines?