Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It’s a bit borderline, but I think deserved, akin to the Devils retiring Daneyko’s number.  It would be one thing if out of nowhere they decided to retire Ed Jovanovski’s number just to sell some tickets and create an artificial buzz like the Rangers do when they retire numbers of players who retired more than 30 years ago.  But Luongo is a Hall of Famer who spent roughly half his career in Florida who also has a connection to the area and to the franchise that’s more significant than a great player who played some games there.

Daneyko played 1300 games for the Devils and won 3 cups.

there is literally zero correlation. 

It would be more like the Devils retiring Mogilny’s Jersey. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lol what a pathetic franchise. Roberto has a grand total of 2 playoff wins WITH Florida and only made the playoffs one time. He had 230 wins with Florida and 195 of them were meaingless(he had 35 wins in 15-16 when they made the playoffs once with him) 

We should have a higher standard for player numbers getting retired and I would be ashamed if we did something like this as a franchise. 

Roberto has been one of the best goalies these past 20 years in the NHL. He deserves this and then HOF.  This isn't something to be ashamed of. 

Edited by CarterforPresident
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Daneyko was never a great player and more or less played no role in the third cup.  His number is retired because of what he meant to the franchise and is deserved on that basis.  Luongo is a bit of column A and bit of column B.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Daneyko was never a great player and more or less played no role in the third cup.  His number is retired because of what he meant to the franchise and is deserved on that basis.  Luongo is a bit of column A and bit of column B.  

Daneyko was on the first team that ever made the playoffs for this franchise plus won 3 Stanley cups and made it to 4 finals plus numerous playoff appearances and divisional titles. He still played in 13 games during that 03 run and 69 games in the regular season. 

I'm not arguing that Roberto isn't a good player but I stick to the mindset that winners and championships are the only reasons to have a retired number in the rafters. The standards have been lowered around the league for some time now. 

If we did something similar I would absolutely have a problem with it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Lou deserves it. It’s a team sport, it’s not his fault they never won any Cups. And if not for Marty, Lou would probably have won a couple Vezina’s in late 00’s. Certainly one of the best goalies of this era. Didn’t Vancouver even give him the C one year? I’m sure he’s a pretty beloved player. No issue here. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Daneyko was on the first team that ever made the playoffs for this franchise plus won 3 Stanley cups and made it to 4 finals plus numerous playoff appearances and divisional titles. He still played in 13 games during that 03 run and 69 games in the regular season. 

I'm not arguing that Roberto isn't a good player but I stick to the mindset that winners and championships are the only reasons to have a retired number in the rafters. The standards have been lowered around the league for some time now. 

If we did something similar I would absolutely have a problem with it. 

i don't really agree that you have to have won cups in order to get your # retired though. A cup is a team award. Getting your # retired should be based on personal achievements. 

I mean is there really a need to point out that great players never won cups and average players won it multiple times?... Chris Kunitz has 4 cups and guys like Stamkos or Joe Thornton 0. No one in their right mind would think Kunitz # should be retired vs the other 2

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't really agree that you have to have won cups in order to get your # retired though. A cup is a team award. Getting your # retired should be based on personal achievements. 

I mean is there really a need to point out that great players never won cups and average players won it multiple times?... Chris Kunitz has 4 cups and guys like Stamkos or Joe Thornton 0. No one in their right mind would think Kunitz # should be retired vs the other 2

For me its a combo of both, team awards plus personal achievements. Like I said, I have high standards when it comes to this topic and I don't expect most to agree with me about it. 

12 hours ago, MB3 said:

Terrible analogy. Mogilny barely played for the team, Luongo played 10-11 seasons. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

And not just stats. Things like community work,  longevity, etc. also factor in. Dano deserved it, so does Luongo. 

• Like 2

can the season start already 

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And not just stats. Things like community work,  longevity, etc. also factor in. Dano deserved it, so does Luongo. 

Dano contributed to winning as well, not just being one of the only good players on a horrendous team. Roberto basically had his career wasted away in Florida and charity work is nice and all but so many guys around the league do it that it shouldn't have anything to do with retiring a jersey.

This feels more like I'm a sorry we wasted your time down here, here's a moment to make up for it but hey not my team so I really don't care and they are always involved in talks of relocating so might not matter in the long run anyway lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

To me, the jersey retirement is about what that specific player meant to that specific team. Luongo was a huge part of the team and community, whether he had on-ice success or not. He is a hall of fame player who played most of his career with Florida, and played for them for nearly half of their entire history. 

We have been so incredibly lucky to have the Hall of Fame players and success that we have had and I think it allows us to hold the number retirement thing to a higher standard than a team like Florida. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Dano contributed to winning as well, not just being one of the only good players on a horrendous team. Roberto basically had his career wasted away in Florida and charity work is nice and all but so many guys around the league do it that it shouldn't have anything to do with retiring a jersey.

This feels more like I'm a sorry we wasted your time down here, here's a moment to make up for it but hey not my team so I really don't care and they are always involved in talks of relocating so might not matter in the long run anyway lol

So he played well on a sh!tty team, so the team can’t retire numbers because they’re sh!tty? That makes no sense. 

He’s arguably the best retired player in the history of the franchise. That’s enough reason to retire his number,whether or not the team was good shouldn’t be a factor. 

• Like 2

Found a stream for those who dont have NHL Network, won't post the link here though as I don't want anyone to get in trouble. DM me if you want it, or a simple "reddit NHLNetwork stream" google search will do

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

So he played well on a sh!tty team, so the team can’t retire numbers because they’re sh!tty? That makes no sense. 

He’s arguably the best retired player in the history of the franchise. That’s enough reason to retire his number,whether or not the team was good shouldn’t be a factor. 

More so because almost his entire career there was absolutely meaningless. Meaningless games, meaningless wins, meaningless stats. Much like 6 of the past 7 seasons that we have watched the Devils play. All rather forgettable. 

He's arguably their best retired player because they don't have much at all to even choose from to begin with. After him it's Pavel Bure and then a decent drop off in terms of all time Panthers players. 

I guess it still beats this at least lol... 

https://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2010/10/panthers-honor-torrey-with-banner-gifts-team-also-retires-no-93-grabner-back-in-town.html

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Just my opinion, but disagree with the bolded.  What are they honoring by retiring his number?  What legacy are they cementing?  A decade of mediocrity and irrelevancy?

He's a legend off the ice and he'll be in the HOF for his individual accomplishments but that doesn't translate to a franchise retiring a number, in my opinion.

This seems so amateur to me.

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

More so because almost his entire career there was absolutely meaningless. Meaningless games, meaningless wins, meaningless stats. Much like 6 of the past 7 seasons that we have watched the Devils play. All rather forgettable. 

He's arguably their best retired player because they don't have much at all to even choose from to begin with. After him it's Pavel Bure and then a decent drop off in terms of all time Panthers players. 

+1

Seems ridiculous to retire his number, but what do I know.  

• Like 1

The team sucked yes but this is a recognition of individual accomplishment. The team sucking made his play that much more impressive as a goaltender. Was their best player, was loyal to the organization, did a lot in the community, Luongo deserves to have his # retired there.

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah, the old Dan Marino vs Trent Dilfer case. Give me Marino as my qb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Terrible analogy. Mogilny barely played for the team, Luongo played 10-11 seasons. 

Fine. It's sorta like if the Vancouver Canucks retired Mogilny's number. A fringe but not first-ballot HHOFer who had a few memorable seasons with the the team but is better known for his time in another uniform. 

I'm not saying it's allowed or not allowed, I'm just giving my opinion that it's stupid. You say "10-11 seasons" and act like he wasn't injured for half of them. He averaged 51 games played for his career in Florida. Went to the playoffs once and won 2 games. Wasn't drafted by the team. 

It just seems a little goofy and second-rate. But I guess that's also a good descriptor for that pathetic franchise anyway. 

• Like 2

As far as retiring Luongo’s number goes...I guess that I’m simply indifferent.  I don’t feel any real passion one way or the other.  

With him, his career was kinda odd.  True, he definitely played on his share of bad teams, and as Chico Resch can tell you, playing on bad teams can wreak havoc on a goaltender’s numbers...but in spite of that, Luongo did manage some nice glamour numbers...plenty of very good save%s.  And almost won 500 games (and played in over 1000 regular season games, which puts him in extremely rare company).  Like Marty and Roy, he had an insanely long prime.  Lou is obviously going to the HHoF.

But something just seems missing when it comes to him...and I’m not just talking about championships.  I can’t quite put my finger on it...his career never quite felt as good to me as his numbers suggest.  Like I said, not opposed to the Panthers retiring his number, but I don’t know why I’m not much more strongly in favor of it than I am.  I guess I’d like to feel like DD56 and many others do, but for some reason I don’t.  

23 hours ago, moustic said:

With Valimaki from Flames being injured for loooong time... Does it make Vatanen a sexy trade for them ? 
I know that Vatanen's trade is not always supported but what if the price is right ? What can we get from them ? 

I should have talk about Luongo instead ; ) 

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Probably just sorted him on the wrong team alphabetically 

That’s what I figured.

5 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

The team sucked yes but this is a recognition of individual accomplishment. The team sucking made his play that much more impressive as a goaltender. Was their best player, was loyal to the organization, did a lot in the community, Luongo deserves to have his # retired there.

Yeah, the old Dan Marino vs Trent Dilfer case. Give me Marino as my qb.

I have no idea who you're talking about but i'm sure it's a good examples yes... i assume they are football players based on the "qb" tho... haha

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as retiring Luongo’s number goes...I guess that I’m simply indifferent.  I don’t feel any real passion one way or the other.  

With him, his career was kinda odd.  True, he definitely played on his share of bad teams, and as Chico Resch can tell you, playing on bad teams can wreak havoc on a goaltender’s numbers...but in spite of that, Luongo did manage some nice glamour numbers...plenty of very good save%s.  And almost won 500 games (and played in over 1000 regular season games, which puts him in extremely rare company).  Like Marty and Roy, he had an insanely long prime.  Lou is obviously going to the HHoF.

But something just seems missing when it comes to him...and I’m not just talking about championships.  I can’t quite put my finger on it...his career never quite felt as good to me as his numbers suggest.  Like I said, not opposed to the Panthers retiring his number, but I don’t know why I’m not much more strongly in favor of it than I am.  I guess I’d like to feel like DD56 and many others do, but for some reason I don’t.  

Luongo played 19 seasons and got to the semifinals once.  He played in the playoffs only 7 seasons.  This is going to be more normal as more teams enter the league without expanding the number of teams who make the playoffs.