2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Per @IgorEronko, Pavel Zacha has agreed to terms with Avangard of the KHL.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I have a feeling the contract has an out clause to the NHL and this is just for him to get the ball rolling with the Devils.  I doubt he will even step foot in Russia.

That was my feeling as well. At least I hope so, I wouldn’t want to miss out on the bag of pucks we could have traded him for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wonder if the holdup is term then cause I can't see it being dollar. Last season was the first real glimpse of what kind of offensive performance he can put up with a guy like Bratt feeding him the puck. It would be a shame to see him leave now.

Could simply be Zacha's camp wants him to be paid like a 6th overall that he was while Shero wants to pay him like a bottom 6 player that he is.

That's a total guess but it seems like they have been stuck given how late it is and now with the news of this signing.

Could simply be Zacha's camp wants him to be paid like a 6th overall that he was while Shero wants to pay him like a bottom 6 player that he is.

That's a total guess but it seems like they have been stuck given how late it is and now with the news of this signing.

Zacha's camp isn't that mental....but on the off-chance they are...

Shero:

Animated GIF

If that’s the case, Zacha’s camp has clearly pitched their tents in Fantasyland. 

And before anyone else makes a tent pitching joke, allow me. 

43002063230_a3fafd7ac5_b.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The only part I don't like in that deal is the 2020 1st.  If it was lottery protected or a later rounder then I would do that.

I agree it should probably be lottery protected but it might be the most enticing piece for Winnipeg. By 2021 we should definitely be making regular playoff appearances. Especially if we keep Hall and have Laine. 

Zacha was picked almost exactly where he was rated by most scouting services. 10 other teams passed on Barzal before the Islanders selected him. I'm really tired of the "draft genius's" harping on this pick as proof that they know more than nhl scouting staffs. It's utter nonsense and confirmation bias. Drafting and scouting players is hard.

I'd love to see the people who wanted Barzal admit just how many times they have been wrong about other players.... for every Barzal there's a Patrik Stefan etc.

There would be a point this crap if we reached for Zacha, or 10 other teams didnt pass on Barzal.  Clearly the scouting services thought there was something to Zacha, and alot of teams thought Barzal had some pretty huge holes in his game.

That said, with the time and effort we have put into Zacha... if he really goes to the KHL I hope he stays there and rots.

• Like 5