2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This is essentially why I feel the way I do.  Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I'd prefer to be positive rather than negative, and since we've seen nothing at all, might as well remain hopeful.  Now if we had seen or heard something from his agent, maybe some family or friends, or even Taylor himself, in regards to the process, maybe being frustrated about the negotiations, or just that he is ready to move on, then sure I'd feel differently.

Glass half full or glass half empty, I suppose.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am...of course, sometimes you hear sh!t from both sides (or from "sources close to"), and it seems like there's an impasse that will never be bridged...and then the next thing you know, both sides are shaking hands and smiling great big smiles and talking about how happy they are to have gotten this done.  So even if it seemed like negotiations were becoming contentious, I wouldn't necessarily think Hall was outta here. 

I can't honestly say that have any leanings towards positively or negatively, because I've been given literally NOTHING to go on.  BUT, at least with preseason about to begin, it's hard to think that it won't be end of a whole lotta nothin'.  At the very least, we'll probably soon know if there's been any talk at all (and if so, how productive it's been).  The one thing I just don't have much interest in at this point is trying to fill the empty space with guessing and speculation; yes, in some ways this dead air has felt endless, but I find it impossible to think we won't have some idea where things by mid-September or so.  Shero (and especially Hall) are going to be too accessible not to have these questions asked...who knows if we'll like the answers, but they'll be better than nothing. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be fair, we've seen zero signs of anything, either way. 

Right. So drawing an opinion as to whether he will or will not re-sign at this point is based on pure speculation and fantasy. There’s nothing to suggest he will sign in the next few days, weeks, months or at all. 

The lone thing I’ve seen which could reveal some info is the Laine trade rumor. That would trend toward the other direction .

Of course, that trade rumor could also be speculation and fantasy. All I’m saying is we heard it, not that it’s accurate. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I hope you’re right. But I have seen zero signs of that.

What have you seen signs of, then, in the other direction? 

I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic about getting Hall signed. But I am confident as hell in Shero and I know that he'll make the best moves for our franchise. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Right. So drawing an opinion as to whether he will or will not re-sign at this point is based on pure speculation and fantasy. There’s nothing to suggest he will sign in the next few days, weeks, months or at all. 

The lone thing I’ve seen which could reveal some info is the Laine trade rumor. That would trend toward the other direction .

Of course, that trade rumor could also be speculation and fantasy. All I’m saying is we heard it, not that it’s accurate. 

Read my last post...it's pretty much the bolded said in a lot more words.  That's where I am.  I can't do what some are trying to do...read into the silence one way or another. 

Just now, MB3 said:

I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic about getting Hall signed. But I am confident as hell in Shero and I know that he'll make the best moves for our franchise. 

Me too.  I've said it before, but the guy has done a hell of job building something from very little, at two levels.  No, the team hasn't accomplished anything yet, but there's pieces now (some like MoJo didn't quite work out as hoped), and Shero has shown some serious creativity in bringing some of them in...and not jumping the gun with any quick-fix moves.  Got a little lucky too (nice to get the opportunity to pick first in two drafts in a three-year span, especially when one of those players is expected to be a true top-of-the-liner), but yeah, I couldn't be more confident in him right now. 

29 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I literally just addressed that. Nothing but the Laine rumor, which similarly, has no real basis. 

I’ll assume you didn't see that since we posted a minute apart. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Devils01 said:

https://youtu.be/I_OfO6aAq_Q

I’ve never been so pumped for a season to start. LETSSS fvckINGG GOOOOO

great video, a nice reminder of what an amazing offseason we had. Soon it will be time to drop the puck and win on the ice where it counts

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Off topic kinda, but I'm just going through the list of "Alumni Players" in NHL 20, and Dano is on the list but Marty isn't... lol am I missing something?

EDIT: Terreri is listed

EDIT: Holy sh!t so is Corey Schwab

Apparently its because unlike players in the NHLPA who are automatically in the game, alumni players had to be negotiated with individually on a year to year basis. 

So Gardiner signed with the Canes for four years @4.05mm...   coming off five years @4.05mm with the Leafs...   I wonder why the extra 50k is part of his deals?

I wouldn’t have minded signing him for 4yrs at 4.05mm AAV...  

https://www.tsn.ca/carolina-hurricanes-sign-ex-leafs-d-jake-gardiner-to-four-year-deal-1.13615

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I’m either missing something or do you guys mean Boucher?

lol I just assumed from reading the thread that it was Burke that was getting hired in his place, I guess it is Boucher. 

Then again, maybe Boucher will get the hook and have to be replaced by the second period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I’m either missing something or do you guys mean Boucher?

I read the article at work and think my brain might have done that thing where the eyes read the first part of a sequence and the brain just fills in the second part. I saw Brian and my brain filled in Burke. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aylbert said:

So Gardiner signed with the Canes for four years @4.05mm...   coming off five years @4.05mm with the Leafs...   I wonder why the extra 50k is part of his deals?

https://www.tsn.ca/carolina-hurricanes-sign-ex-leafs-d-jake-gardiner-to-four-year-deal-1.13615

Yeah that’s a nice deal. 

9 hours ago, aylbert said:

Where would he have fit tho

10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Apparently its because unlike players in the NHLPA who are automatically in the game, alumni players had to be negotiated with individually on a year to year basis. 

I figured that was the case. fvcking Marty

On 9/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Off topic kinda, but I'm just going through the list of "Alumni Players" in NHL 20, and Dano is on the list but Marty isn't... lol am I missing something?

EDIT: Terreri is listed

EDIT: Holy sh!t so is Corey Schwab

I’m assuming it’s only players who are part of the NHLPA or something like that. 

There’s fvckin Bryce Salvador but we don’t have Stevens, Marty, Elias, Gionta, etc. 

Even more annoying is that since the game recognizes 27 as retired, if you want to play with Niedermayer he wears 29. 

I don’t know why I give EA sports my 60 bucks every year

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/nhl-trade-rumor-carolina-hurricanes.html?m=1

Faulk, the offensive defenceman has one year remaining on his contract at $4.83 million and with the amount of offensive defencemen now on the 'Canes and the questions surrounding their goaltenders, the team could be looking to move Faulk for somebody cheaper and more defensively responsible.

The Colorado Avalanche have reached out, along with Columbus Blue Jackets and New Jersey Devils.

The Devils could be the most intriguing as they have an offer on the table for Patrik Laine, which appears to be holding everything else up. The Blue Jackets are a team Faulk would have a hard time leaving for, and lastly Colorado could be the best fit for both sides.