Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the reports of a 3-year deal are true, I give him this season and next (as long as he doesn't completely stagnate or regress)...by then, I need to know if he can be some approximation of Zajac 2.0.  Zacha probably shouldn't have been up here as early as he was, so I'll give him a pass on his first year...maybe even his second, to an extent.  Last year's start was infuriating for sure.   

He did finish with 20 points over his last 30 GP (8 G and 12 A), so assuming that this latest minor surge isn't yet another tease, it's not crazy to think he might be capable of 40-45 points if he can play 80+ games.  But like I've said in other posts, I'm done with the teases.  He can't be invisible to start the season and start becoming a healthy scratch in November, and then slowly but surely appear to be making progress in late January or so.  It may sound like I'm championing him to an extent, but truthfully he's on a VERY short leash with me...I've already defined what I hope he can be, and I need to see real signs that he can become that, and I need to see them immediately.  Not after 2/3rds or so of the season, where we're all just about at the end of our ropes yet again with him.  Been there done that. 

If you are giving him another 2 years to develop, I wouldn't say that's short leash. At least not as long as my meme-ing ass is still around lol. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

True, but when the arena gets more fired up about the you suck or Rangers suck chant far more than even a Let's Go Devils chant, something isn't quite right here.

Agreed. If you are gonna be excited for chanting, do it across the board. 

I would have to say I am quite done with the "Kill Kill Kill" think on the PK, it's completely irritating to listen to that for two minutes (or whatever portion thereof we are in the D-zone). That bothers me WAY more than "you suck". 

The "Rangers Suck" thing I don't mind, its all of the add-ons that are not clever and just idiotic at this point. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

If you are giving him another 2 years to develop, I wouldn't say that's short leash. At least not as long as my meme-ing ass is still around lol. 

I said two years as long as he's not stagnating and is showing progress.  Like I said, if he's scuffling around for the first 1/2 to 2/3rds of 2019-20 and then seems to be figuring it out yet again later in the year, I'm gonna be pissed.  I can't see a repeat of last season with him. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

If it's a 3 year deal, it's perfect. That means his contract expires (but he's still an RFA if I remember correctly?) when it's time to pay Hughes -- when we also have PK, Butcher and Schnieder's money coming off the books. 

The Devils will not be close to a cap team where a 3/7 contract does any damage whatsoever. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. If you are gonna be excited for chanting, do it across the board. 

I would have to say I am quite done with the "Kill Kill Kill" think on the PK, it's completely irritating to listen to that for two minutes (or whatever portion thereof we are in the D-zone). That bothers me WAY more than "you suck". 

The "Rangers Suck" thing I don't mind, its all of the add-ons that are not clever and just idiotic at this point. 

As far as the "Kill kill kill" goes, it was the vuvuzela guy that I couldn't stand...especially since the one guy was a like a five-year-old with thundersticks, who couldn't resist not playing with his lil' toy for more than a minute or two.  Not only would he blow on the vuvu between "Kills" (as in "Kill" - horn - "Kill" - horn), he'd use it to punctuate everything else, to an annoying degree.  By the end of the second period, I wanted to find that guy and beat him over the head with that fvcking vuvuzela.  Couldn't stand him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I. fvcking. hate. the vuvuzela guy.

it is awful. nothing sucks the mood out of a building quicker than "DEVILS GOAL SCORED BY NUMBER 13, NICOOOOO HISCHIERRRR (bwaaaaaaaaaap) ASSISTED BY NUMBER 8, WILL BUTCHER (bwaaaaaap!?) AND NUMBER 63, JESPER BRATT (bwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap). Time of the goal 13:40 (BWAP BWAAAAP BWAAAAAPPPP BWAPPPPP BWWAAAAAAAAAAAP). 

• Like 2

FWIW the "vuvuzela guy" pretty much disappeared off of the FB groups once the Devils decided the party is over with that damn thing and his schtick was gone.

Regarding Zacha, 3 years is about the most I would feel comfortable with term.  The money is alright, though I would feel anything over $1.25M would be an overpayment for him anyways.  It is still low enough to be hardly felt at all.  However, it also makes the Wood contract look even worse by comparison lol.

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I. fvcking. hate. the vuvuzela guy.

it is awful. nothing sucks the mood out of a building quicker than "DEVILS GOAL SCORED BY NUMBER 13, NICOOOOO HISCHIERRRR (bwaaaaaaaaaap) ASSISTED BY NUMBER 8, WILL BUTCHER (bwaaaaaap!?) AND NUMBER 63, JESPER BRATT (bwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap). Time of the goal 13:40 (BWAP BWAAAAP BWAAAAAPPPP BWAPPPPP BWWAAAAAAAAAAAP). 

I was trying to think of how to "spell" that sound, and you fvcking nailed it:  BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.  That's EXACTLY what it sounded like.  And for some reason seeing it spelled out made laugh my ass off.  So thank you.

• Like 1

Clearly, the only person who likes a vuvuzela is a guy with a vuvuzela. Everyone else is annoyed by him. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Clearly, the only person who likes a vuvuzela is a guy with a vuvuzela. Everyone else is annoyed by him. 

He had his supporters believe it or not.

What do we take away from the prospect games?  Satisfied with the play of Hughes, Smith, Boqvist, etc?  Any other prospects that look promising?  I didn’t get to watch much of the games when I was at work, was too busy.  I know, that’s a bad excuse for a die hard but didn’t want the work piling up.

5 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

What do we take away from the prospect games?  Satisfied with the play of Hughes, Smith, Boqvist, etc?  Any other prospects that look promising?  I didn’t get to watch much of the games when I was at work, was too busy.  I know, that’s a bad excuse for a die hard but didn’t want the work piling up.

This article was written with you in mind, my dude

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/10-takeaways-2019-prospects-challenge/c-309014442

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I said two years as long as he's not stagnating and is showing progress.  Like I said, if he's scuffling around for the first 1/2 to 2/3rds of 2019-20 and then seems to be figuring it out yet again later in the year, I'm gonna be pissed.  I can't see a repeat of last season with him. 

I think he showed a little more consistency once he came back from the AHL. He's got the talent. Much like his agent, though, it's a mystery if he'll ever use it. He's a perfect replacement for Zajac if he can figure it out. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

True, but when the arena gets more fired up about the you suck or Rangers suck chant far more than even a Let's Go Devils chant, something isn't quite right here.

I wish i could agree.

But i've been told i have no right to hold an opinion on that matter cause i don't live in NJ

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I wish i could agree.

But i've been told i have no right to hold an opinion on that matter cause i don't live in NJ

You guys in Canada don't even know what real bacon is. 

;) 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You guys in Canada don't even know what real bacon is. 

;) 

we have poutines and garlic fingers though. 

side note: i guess Carolina is working a trade with Anaheim for Faulk.

Too many rumours about him not to be traded at this point. Them getting Gardiner probably sealed the deal

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

we have poutines and garlic fingers though. 

side note: i guess Carolina is working a trade with Anaheim for Faulk.

Too many rumours about him not to be traded at this point. Them getting Gardiner probably sealed the deal

Damn poutine is some good sh!t, you have me there. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Damn poutine is some good sh!t, you have me there. 

i will never understand why America never picked up on the whole poutine thing. It's greasy, taste awesome and it makes you fat. That's america in a nutshell lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i will never understand why America never picked up on the whole poutine thing. It's greasy, taste awesome and it makes you fat. That's america in a nutshell lol 

Said by (and commented on by) the people who think snails are food. ;) 

Edited by mfitz804

I really don’t understand why Americans never picked up on the whole putin thing too.

i don’t like gardiner very much but I don’t like more that he is in Carolina for only 4kk. And I can’t say that we are done with our d-squad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I really don’t understand why Americans never picked up on the whole putin thing too..

Outstanding.