Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

I'll be there too, the home opener is going to be electric this year. The past 2 have been awesome but this one really seems like it's going to feel like a playoff atmosphere. If Hall signs before the game it will be even more crazy. I can't wait. 

I thought our atmosphere last year for most of the season was really good considering how bad the team was. 

If Hall signs before the season, the Devils might be in the running for one of the best off seasons ever. 

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll be there too, the home opener is going to be electric this year. The past 2 have been awesome but this one really seems like it's going to feel like a playoff atmosphere. If Hall signs before the game it will be even more crazy. I can't wait. 

I thought our atmosphere last year for most of the season was really good considering how bad the team was. 

Conversely, if he doesn't sign, we're likely to get a "We want Arnott," type chant directed at Hall...atmosphere will be crazy regardless. 

29 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If Hall signs before the season, the Devils might be in the running for one of the best off seasons ever. 

Excuse me, but we re-signed Pavel Zacha, what more could you possibly ask for??

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

according to TSN, Marner turned down 11 mill for seven years.

If that is true... omg what an idiot.  That deal is directly in line with his abilities.

Edit:
Article isn't clear if that is $11 per year for seven or 8 years

Either way, there is no excusable reason to turn that down.

I hope he rots out of season like Nylander last year

Everyone calling this dumb is playing checkers while him and his agent are playing chess.  If you could negotiate a short term deal for good money, which will lead to a 2nd larger payday you do that all day long.  

1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

Everyone calling this dumb is playing checkers while him and his agent are playing chess.  If you could negotiate a short term deal for good money, which will lead to a 2nd larger payday you do that all day long.  

Sure and by that logic he’d be even smarter to hold out for 25 mill a year. Hes not playing chess. He’s turning down a very good fair deal by taking a risk that he improves, doesn’t get injured and that the cap goes up a ton. If it all works out in his favor, great. But he’s a greedy son of a bitch and will cost his team down the road. 

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

Sure and by that logic he’d be even smarter to hold out for 25 mill a year. Hes not playing chess. He’s turning down a very good fair deal by taking a risk that he improves, doesn’t get injured and that the cap goes up a ton. If it all works out in his favor, great. But he’s a greedy son of a bitch and will cost his team down the road. 

He’d be pretty stupid to hold out for $25m since it’s double McDavid’s and exceeds the max pay. 

Otherwise yes, he’s taking a risk with his health and hoping he can score a bigger deal down the line. I don’t think it’s a great idea, $11m guaranteed is a lot, but an extra couple mil a year times 7-8 years down the road, can end up being a lot of money. 

That said, he is being greedy where his two elite teammates are making $11m and $11.6m. 

Matthews could make extra money by renting out space on his enormous forehead. C669404C-ECAB-4773-8F51-EDA524897C43.jpeg.785b611bc0f3a676183655aff525edf6.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'll be at opening night with my Dad, @Ralliart90, and our SO's.  Can't.  Freakin.  Wait.

Can’t wait for my hype to be ruined by the wonderful goal song of “HEEEEEYYYYYYYY HEEYY BABY!!! WOO HAA!!! I WANNA KNNOOWWWWWWwwWwWww WILL YOU BE MY GIRL!?!?!?”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

and sometimes you have to realize that your agent is only it for themselves. 11 million is more than fair, and even at that still handcuffs the leafs.

Is it better to sit 6 months to hold out and have a craptacular year, then get put out in the first round vs Boston again? I donk think so, but ask Nylander.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

and sometimes you have to realize that your agent is only it for themselves. 11 million is more than fair, and even at that still handcuffs the leafs.

Is it better to sit 6 months to hold out and have a craptacular year, then get put out in the first round vs Boston again? I donk think so, but ask Nylander.

How do you know it is his agent and not him?

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't. I was just running with the scenario that Bob had stated, that it was all a mastermind plan of his agent.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Agreed. If he wanted to sign an $11m/7 year deal, it would be signed. His agent isn’t going to “convince” him not to sign a multimillion dollar deal. 

After all, the agent gets paid based on the deal obtained, and there’s no guarantee in 3-5 years his current agent will still be employed by him. 

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I will be there as well. Wouldn’t miss it.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I will be there as well. Wouldn’t miss it.

I do believe I will have to miss it, but I’ll be there in spirit and here memeing my ass off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I do believe I will have to miss it, but I’ll be there in spirit and here memeing my ass off. 

Sorry you have to miss it- I trust your meme game will match the intensity of the guys on the ice. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sorry you have to miss it- I trust your meme game will match the intensity of the guys on the ice. 

Been a long off season, put in a lot of work, it’s time to make magic. LFG. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He looked a little chonnnnky in the pics. Great to see.

Nico Beefier.

He was one of the best players in the tournament at the World Championship. Can’t wait to see him play with some of our new weapons this season. 

Just wanted to get one last post in before the offseason thread gets locked - it's been a pleasure sh!tposting with you gents over this exciting offseason.

Onto training camp.  GET HYPE.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just wanna give a quick shout-out to ^7^, who had a full-scale meltdown a few days before the draft because we didn’t do anything yet. His meltdown helped mask my full-scale meltdown that my favorite player was getting downvoted in the player elimination thread. 

Love you all, can’t wait to fight with each and every one of you. 

• Haha 4

Really drives home how good the Severson deal is for NJ. 

Strickland is pretty reliable, as a year ago he was the first one to say that Subban would eventually be traded.  If this is true, it shows you how much Winnipeg undervalues Laine and how much they’ve botched it.  If you don’t think someone who scored more than 40 goals as a 19 year old isn’t worth more than $6million AAV on a three year deal, you should have traded him at the draft before word of the lowball offers got out.

It would be extremely tempting to trade for him at a relative discount and play on a line with Hughes, even if cap space might be a little tight.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Strickland is pretty reliable, as a year ago he was the first one to say that Subban would eventually be traded.  If this is true, it shows you how much Winnipeg undervalues Laine and how much they’ve botched it.  If you don’t think someone who scored more than 40 goals as a 19 year old isn’t worth more than $6million AAV on a three year deal, you should have traded him at the draft before word of the lowball offers got out.

It would be extremely tempting to trade for him at a relative discount and play on a line with Hughes, even if cap space might be a little tight.

Laine is clearly worth in excess of $6m. I don’t know what he is looking for, but I’d give him $7m for as many years as he wants it.