Jump to content

2019 Offseason Thread


Daniel

Recommended Posts

So I just did a quick capfriendly search of UFA players who put up 30 points last year as LW, 6 names came up.

Panarin, Lee, Vanek, Panik, Dzingel, Ferland

same search for RW brought up 9:

Pavelski, Pomminville, Nuqvist, Zucc, Williams, Simmonds, Donskoi, Connelly, Chiasson

 

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not trusting the opinion of a guy who had a meltdown when we didn't re-sign Beau Bennett because he apparently had great advanced stats.

Add to it the Hockeybuzz stench...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m looking at Zucc as a target. We can overpay him and give him a shorter contract because of his age that would expire by the time Hughes needs his 12 year @ 16m per deal after becoming the best player in hockey and winning 4 consecutive cups. Plus, signing him keeps the Rangers from getting another 1st round pick next year. 

Imagine the absolute hilarity if the Devils finally stole a decent ex-Rag for a change and instead of their career going in the toilet like ex-Devils, and every other player they overpay on the FA market to go there, he finishes his career strong on the right side of the river. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I’m looking at Zucc as a target. We can overpay him and give him a shorter contract because of his age that would expire by the time Hughes needs his 12 year @ 16m per deal after becoming the best player in hockey and winning 4 consecutive cups. Plus, signing him keeps the Rangers from getting another 1st round pick next year. 

I’d love Zucc, dude is such an underrated winger.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

So I just did a quick capfriendly search of UFA players who put up 30 points last year as LW, 6 names came up.

Panarin, Lee, Vanek, Panik, Dzingel, Ferland

same search for RW brought up 9:

Pavelski, Pomminville, Nuqvist, Zucc, Williams, Simmonds, Donskoi, Connelly, Chiasson

I hadn't really heard of Donskoi before but his name has come up on a few sites as someone who's good at both ends of the ice and seems capable of scoring with limited ice time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not trusting the opinion of a guy who had a meltdown when we didn't re-sign Beau Bennett because he apparently had great advanced stats.

I get that entirely, but Eberle wasn't a guy who really gave me the warm and fuzzies anyway...I just posted the link to show that Eberle has some red flags worth noting.  His per-year amount isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (the term is, but there's bad contracts everywhere as far as that goes, and to be fair his per-year is definitely not crippling and will obviously be less so as the cap likely keeps going up), but I guess I'm surprised that some fans were that high on him.  I feel like his best years are already behind him. 

27 minutes ago, MB3 said:

~2 guys sign~

~one week before the draft and 3 weeks before free agency~

njdevs: SO NOW THAT EVERYONE SIGNED I GUESS WE ARE FVCKED.

never change guys

On this note, I still think Shero would prefer to build his team without going the higher-priced UFA route.  Basically shell out the big coin for guys already here (like Hall), and trade where he can.  And yeah, just too early for pessimism in general.  It's not like Shero has a long history of doing next to nothing in the offseason...and as has been brought up many times, last season he clearly wanted to see how the players that he already had in his system progressed.  And of course, there are other young guys (like Boqvist) being brought in who some fans simply overlooked at being potential future pieces. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just love how some fans are so disconnected with reality. It's really not like GMs every summer can do whatever they want and just choose not to do anything. It's GUARANTEED they are all trying. Sometimes the price is not worth it. Sometimes the opportunity is not there and sometimes stuff just don't pan out. There's 31 teams... all trying to trade for players with potentially better assets than you and a handful of players worth signing in the summer. It's really really not easy. 

I'll never understand the whole "he did nothing" comment when it's meant like the GM fvcked up or didn't even try

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i just love how some fans are so disconnected with reality. It's really not like GMs every summer can do whatever they want and just choose not to do anything. It's GUARANTEED they are all trying. Sometimes the price is not worth it. Sometimes the opportunity is not there and sometimes stuff just don't pan out. There's 31 teams... all trying to trade for players with potentially better assets than you and a handful of players worth signing in the summer. It's really really not easy. 

I'll never understand the whole "he did nothing" comment when it's meant like the GM fvcked up or didn't even try

I think what they really mean is "he got nothing done"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue here is the ridiculous Hoover Dam sized amount of cap space we have.  There is no way that we should have this much room and still be considered a 'professional' team.

I'm not saying throw money at a bunch of horrible players (Carl Alzner anyone?) but we should be outbidding the likes of NYI on Eberle if we wanted him, which maybe we didn't in this case, who knows?

We have the room to absorb some slight overpayments here, so I don't want to ever hear that we lost a guy because some other team offered more money.

Edit: we can also use our cap room to take on dying contracts from the Tampas of the world to get decent prospects. We need our GM to be creative as fuq here and get on those phones all summer long.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If this is a quiet offseason for us, it'll really be time to hit the panic button and question everything about what plan the people in charge have. 

I agree.

At this point, I have no reason to suspect that Shero will be quiet.  This is the offseason to make moves.

I won't blame Hall at all if he decides to move on if we go into the season with the same roster as last year + Hughes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO we CANNOT go into the season with an unsigned Hall. Wayyyyy too risky and there's not many positive out of that scenario. In this specific situation Shero has to convince him during the summer and get it done then. Way too much of a gamble not to.

1) Hall's commitment is not where we want it to be. He's been clear about that. So the whole blind loyalty is out of the window. So we really need to get him at the best timing for him to commit. 

2) The goal is to improve for next season. Gambling going in the season without knowing what we'll get out of our biggest asset is obviously not ideal.

3) Injury concern. Hall getting injured this season before he's signed could be really bad cause first the team would suck and it wouldn't help convincing him to commit. Also if he's injured for the trade deadline and that then Shero figure he has to be traded then we're fvcked. And Hall would have full leverage comes free agency and Shero couldnt do a single thing about it.

3) The timing. The safest/ideal time to really get Hall in the right mindset is in the summer. We may start the season and things just don't work and it's leaving a bad taste in his mouth. Of course the opposite could happen but then you're cutting it close and gambling away your leverage potentially if things doesn't go your way at the trade deadline.

Also while Shero won't be influence and fall for the whole "if we're close to the playoffs anything can happen" like fans does. It's just not an ideal time to trade a player if you're planning on improving your team. If we have to trade him in the summer then you go in the season with what you got and you build from that. Unlike having to shuffle everything and waiting for next season.

4) The return would be better with Hall signed for a whole season vs at the trade deadline.

and this is really coming from an angle that... we've lost wayyyyyyy too much and started with so little in 2015 because of it to put ourselves in a situation where we could potentially lose our biggest asset. We simply cannot let that happen again. We cannot gamble anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

~2 guys sign~

~one week before the draft and 3 weeks before free agency~

njdevs: SO NOW THAT EVERYONE SIGNED I GUESS WE ARE FVCKED.

never change guys

I am not hitting the panic button yet, but last year we were in the same spot hoping for some glaring holes to be partially filled by FA's.  What we got was Eric Gryba.  Wonderful.

If Shero walks away from this off-season with a Mueller-type trade at the draft and a Gazdic and Stafford like signings, then I will be definitely calling for his head.  We have a ton of cap space and we can afford a stupid contract.

Edited by DevsMan84
Wrong terrible player mentioned
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

IMO we CANNOT go into the season with an unsigned Hall. Wayyyyy too risky and there's not many positive out of that scenario. In this specific situation Shero has to convince him during the summer and get it done then. Way too much of a gamble not to.

1) Hall's commitment is not where we want it to be. He's been clear about that. So the whole blind loyalty is out of the window. So we really need to get him at the best timing for him to commit. 

2) The goal is to improve for next season. Gambling going in the season without knowing what we'll get out of our biggest asset is obviously not ideal.

3) Injury concern. Hall getting injured this season before he's signed could be really bad cause first the team would suck and it wouldn't help convincing him to commit. Also if he's injured for the trade deadline and that then Shero figure he has to be traded then we're fvcked. And Hall would have full leverage comes free agency and Shero couldnt do a single thing about it.

3) The timing. The safest/ideal time to really get Hall in the right mindset is in the summer. We may start the season and things just don't work and it's leaving a bad taste in his mouth. Of course the opposite could happen but then you're cutting it close and gambling away your leverage potentially if things doesn't go your way at the trade deadline.

Also while Shero won't be influence and fall for the whole "if we're close to the playoffs anything can happen" like fans does. It's just not an ideal time to trade a player if you're planning on improving your team. If we have to trade him in the summer then you go in the season with what you got and you build from that. Unlike having to shuffle everything and waiting for next season.

4) The return would be better with Hall signed for a whole season vs at the trade deadline.

and this is really coming from an angle that... we've lost wayyyyyyy too much and started with so little in 2015 because of it to put ourselves in a situation where we could potentially lose our biggest asset. We simply cannot let that happen again. We cannot gamble anything.

Frankly Hall is kind of low on my list of concerns.  Even if he re-signs we still have glaring holes on defense and our second scoring line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

The issue here is the ridiculous Hoover Dam sized amount of cap space we have.  There is no way that we should have this much room and still be considered a 'professional' team.

I'm not saying throw money at a bunch of horrible players (Carl Alzner anyone?) but we should be outbidding the likes of NYI on Eberle if we wanted him, which maybe we didn't in this case, who knows?

We have the room to absorb some slight overpayments here, so I don't want to ever hear that we lost a guy because some other team offered more money.

Edit: we can also use our cap room to take on dying contracts from the Tampas of the world to get decent prospects. We need our GM to be creative as fuq here and get on those phones all summer long.

To be fair, we couldn't outbid the Isles for Eberle as he never hit UFA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not hitting the panic button yet, but last year we were in the same spot hoping for some glaring holes to be partially filled by FA's.  What we got was Luke Gazdic.  Wonderful.

If Shero walks away from this off-season with a Mueller-type trade at the draft and a Gazdic and Stafford like signings, then I will be definitely calling for his head.  We have a ton of cap space and we can afford a stupid contract.

I understood what was going on the last two seasons, even if I was a initially a little ticked off over the lack of moves.  This year, there's no excuse.  There are lots of high end players available as free agents or at relative discounts in the trade market, not to mention a real moron of a GM up in Minnesota seems to live to get fleeced in trades.  We are drafting someone who should be one of the top ten centers in the league on top of having a bunch of extra picks, which means we can afford to take a chance and trade high picks in the future. 

There's no more rebuild and there's no more "build through the draft."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get that entirely, but Eberle wasn't a guy who really gave me the warm and fuzzies anyway...I just posted the link to show that Eberle has some red flags worth noting.  His per-year amount isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (the term is, but there's bad contracts everywhere as far as that goes, and to be fair his per-year is definitely not crippling and will obviously be less so as the cap likely keeps going up), but I guess I'm surprised that some fans were that high on him.  I feel like his best years are already behind him

On this note, I still think Shero would prefer to build his team without going the higher-priced UFA route.  Basically shell out the big coin for guys already here (like Hall), and trade where he can.  And yeah, just too early for pessimism in general.  It's not like Shero has a long history of doing next to nothing in the offseason...and as has been brought up many times, last season he clearly wanted to see how the players that he already had in his system progressed.  And of course, there are other young guys (like Boqvist) being brought in who some fans simply overlooked at being potential future pieces. 

Maybe.  Or maybe not.

Eberle would not be the best signing in the world for sure, but he does seem to fit the style and vision that Shero and Hynes seem to have for the team.  Not only that but he has built-in friendship with Hall as well on that front.

If we got Eberle to the same deal he got today, I would still feel far better about that signing than a lot of the signings in the past 5-6 years (Clowe, Cammy, Ryder, etc).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I understood what was going on the last two seasons, even if I was a initially a little ticked off over the lack of moves.  This year, there's no excuse.  There are lots of high end players available as free agents or at relative discounts in the trade market, not to mention a real moron of a GM up in Minnesota seems to live to get fleeced in trades.  We are drafting someone who should be one of the top ten centers in the league on top of having a bunch of extra picks, which means we can afford to take a chance and trade high picks in the future. 

There's no more rebuild and there's no more "build through the draft."

Agree entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Frankly Hall is kind of low on my list of concerns.  Even if he re-signs we still have glaring holes on defense and our second scoring line.

yeah i truly don't know exactly what i'd suggest for our D. Outside of Karlsson... there's nothing on the market that we should go for. Any of them wouldn't be an upgrade... or if they were they'd be too old and just a temporary patch work.Which i guess maybe is not the worst thing waiting for guys like Davies to maybe make an impact. So I'd rather see Shero go and try to get guys like Trouba or younger established guys through trade.

But again on our left side... if we can't get rid of Greene and get an upgrade... its pushing out Smith or Butler.. Then on the right side Vatanen and Severson are pretty decent top 4 dmen so if we could get a legit first line RW that'd be a good start i guess... then it would push out Carrick or wtv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I agree.

At this point, I have no reason to suspect that Shero will be quiet.  This is the offseason to make moves.

I won't blame Hall at all if he decides to move on if we go into the season with the same roster as last year + Hughes.

He’s as good as gone if we do. He’s basically said as much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, devlman said:

Eberle sucks so much, the only thing he has going for him is being Hall’s buddy. Good thing we aren’t in the business of bringing butt buddies together ala parise/suter.

Lol he’s scored 20+ goals 6 times already in his career. We sure could use someone who sucks like that.

Do you know how many 20 goal scorers we had last season? TWO. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

Interesting..  I assume the Flyers would want a forward as the main part of the return, which could work for us... So something like Ghost for Zacha and wtv picks could make sense. 

But now we'd have 4 guys on the left side.. At this point i guess Ghost is better offensively than anyone on our left side. Well i guess it depends on if Smith wins a spot but we're all assuming he will... then i'm not sure who's pushed out? I guess we could move one of them on the other side then it would be pretty good.

Unless Butcher and Smith explodes this year... but we'll have to be patient with Smith, he's a kid. Defensively for now Greene is still the best defensively out of the bunch. 

But i mean... if for example Shero can pull off something like... mainly trading Zacha for Ghost.. and flipping Vatanen + picks and prospects for Trouba somehow... we'd have a pretty good dcorp, we'd have to move butcher or Smith on the other side but wtv. 

Ghost - Trouba

Greene - Severson

Smith - Butler

Then we'd just have to ride the wave for a year... not re-sign Greene and hopefully one of the kid like Davies or Walsh can win that spot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Lol he’s scored 20+ goals 6 times already in his career. We sure could use someone who sucks like that.

Do you know how many 20 goal scorers we had last season? TWO. 

Yeah and he doesn’t play well in his own end and probably can’t be counted on for much else besides his goals, of which they will be declining. Glad we didn’t overpay on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.