2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Interesting..  I assume the Flyers would want a forward as the main part of the return, which could work for us... So something like Ghost for Zacha and wtv picks could make sense. 

But now we'd have 4 guys on the left side.. At this point i guess Ghost is better offensively than anyone on our left side. Well i guess it depends on if Smith wins a spot but we're all assuming he will... then i'm not sure who's pushed out? I guess we could move one of them on the other side then it would be pretty good.

Unless Butcher and Smith explodes this year... but we'll have to be patient with Smith, he's a kid. Defensively for now Greene is still the best defensively out of the bunch. 

But i mean... if for example Shero can pull off something like... mainly trading Zacha for Ghost.. and flipping Vatanen + picks and prospects for Trouba somehow... we'd have a pretty good dcorp, we'd have to move butcher or Smith on the other side but wtv. 

Ghost - Trouba

Greene - Severson

Smith - Butler

Then we'd just have to ride the wave for a year... not re-sign Greene and hopefully one of the kid like Davies or Walsh can win that spot

I don't know how much of that scouting crew would be left, but supposedly the Flyers were pretty high on Zacha. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Why is Ghost being floated around in trade rumors so much? Good young cost controlled defenseman, put up 65 POINTS a year ago! What is phillys thinking

I don’t know.... but if we can fleece them, that would be tremendous. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Maybe.  Or maybe not.

Eberle would not be the best signing in the world for sure, but he does seem to fit the style and vision that Shero and Hynes seem to have for the team.  Not only that but he has built-in friendship with Hall as well on that front.

If we got Eberle to the same deal he got today, I would still feel far better about that signing than a lot of the signings in the past 5-6 years (Clowe, Cammy, Ryder, etc).

Clowe (concussion history) was just beyond reckless.  That one felt like an arrogant GM deciding to ignore what was right in front of him...though Clowe did manage to play in 191 out of 212 games in the three seasons just prior to Lou signing him.  But that signing felt like way too much of a gamble to me. 

Cammy had both a history of underproducing (given expectations) and missing games due to injury.  Hated that signing at the time

Ryder was at least coming off a couple of pretty good years prior to his being signed (for a short-term, fairly low-cost deal)...I can't really lump that kind of a signing in with the other two.

I'll give you that I wouldn't be as down on Eberle as I would on Clowe or Cam based on the fact that I'd feel that I'd at least be able to count on him being able to play, but I'd be far from enthused about him becoming a Devil. 

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who you ask), like you say, it's all immaterial anyway, because he never reached UFA. 

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

Ebs back with the isles. Damnit.

That's because he listened to all of you "New Jersey is just as good as New York" guys, and he reversed it, thinking he could go back to the Isles and still hang out with Taylor because they're so close. 

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol we're getting nothing this offseason.

Well, we have that #1 pick...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Interesting..  I assume the Flyers would want a forward as the main part of the return, which could work for us... So something like Ghost for Zacha and wtv picks could make sense.

Not for them it wouldn't. We'd have to use a mask and gun to get them to accept that. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Why is Ghost being floated around in trade rumors so much? Good young cost controlled defenseman, put up 65 POINTS a year ago! What is phillys thinking

It's hard for me to see them trading him either if they don't get massive return, especially because they're building to win now. But at the very least, this draft is so stacked at the top with forwards that the Flyers are guaranteed to have en enticing defensive prospect sitting before them at 11. There's a chance they'll have Broberg and Soderstrom available to them.

Additionally, the Rangers, Avalanche, and Kings are all going into this draft in really good position, each with two picks in the first round. Depending on where Byram goes, each team's second pick could be used to draft a solid D prospect. 

Byram, Soderstrom, Broberg, York, Harley, and Seider are all likely first round picks, with an outside chance that Heinola and Bjornfot go first round as well. And after Byram, there's a possibility that none of them will be drafted until after 10, where the Flyers sit at 11.

The Avalanche draft at #4 and #16. They could potentially walk out of this draft with one of Cozens/Zegras/Caufield/Dach and one of Broberg/Soderstrom. That's a solid haul.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not hitting the panic button yet, but last year we were in the same spot hoping for some glaring holes to be partially filled by FA's.  What we got was Eric Gryba.  Wonderful.

If Shero walks away from this off-season with a Mueller-type trade at the draft and a Gazdic and Stafford like signings, then I will be definitely calling for his head.  We have a ton of cap space and we can afford a stupid contract.

The only trouble with that stupid contract is that a couple of years down the line is fans are going nuts complaing that it needs to be bought out or the player traded to get rid of that albatross of a contract. I really think he's going to have to make a trade with one of the teams up against the cap to get value. But I agree with you. I'm gonna be pissed if all we make is a couple of Gryba type signings.

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Sounds like EK is probably going to re-sign in SJ for the max 8 years. 

Feels like it’s going to be Panarin or bust as far as the Devils chances of landing a big name this summer. 

Doubt that will happen.

Not that it means much right now but what’s the point of the offseason if not for speculating?

Projected power rankings have Devils at 30th, even with knowing Hughes will most likely get picked by them.  The concern stated is “what if Hall signs elsewhere, how would the Devils even have a good year if he’s not there.”  That concerns me and I’m sure everyone else here too.  Can’t have year 1 with Hughes be wasted because Hall isn’t there, ugh.  Someone call Hall and get the inside scoop now please, can’t wait until or around July 1.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I’m just being realistic. He wants to go somewhere with a good nightlife, and there’s the whole Russian thing...

NYC has pretty good nightlife and the whole Russian thing too. So that bodes well for us as much as any other team.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I understood what was going on the last two seasons, even if I was a initially a little ticked off over the lack of moves.  This year, there's no excuse.  There are lots of high end players available as free agents or at relative discounts in the trade market, not to mention a real moron of a GM up in Minnesota seems to live to get fleeced in trades.  We are drafting someone who should be one of the top ten centers in the league on top of having a bunch of extra picks, which means we can afford to take a chance and trade high picks in the future. 

There's no more rebuild and there's no more "build through the draft."

I am with you-- up until the point where a number of these guys don't even get to FA because they re-sign before July 1. Honestly, what if Panarin is the only big FA name that hits the market? Ray has to make it all happen in the trade market and if he can't it was a massive failure again? Just about all of us here think landing Panarin is pipe dream.

none of us see panarin happening. it sucks but I guess its just the reality of how it is. With eberle and skinner now off the table, it obviously all of a sudden seems slightly dull once again. Cant jump to conclusions though, at the same time don't expect hall to sign anything on July 1 its not going to happen, he already made that perfectly clear. 

2 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

Not that it means much right now but what’s the point of the offseason if not for speculating?

Projected power rankings have Devils at 30th, even with knowing Hughes will most likely get picked by them.  The concern stated is “what if Hall signs elsewhere, how would the Devils even have a good year if he’s not there.”  That concerns me and I’m sure everyone else here too.  Can’t have year 1 with Hughes be wasted because Hall isn’t there, ugh.  Someone call Hall and get the inside scoop now please, can’t wait until or around July 1.

I'm not sure what power rankings said that, but Hall is still signed through July 1, 2020. He's going to be here for Hughes year one anyway. There's no reason he can't wait to see how free agency and possible draft trades go and sign an extension in August. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not really..... Chuck Fletcher isn’t a good GM, nor very bright.

Zacha for Ghost is a fireable offense. 

EDIT: Zacha plays like a ghost, maybe it IS even...

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Zacha for Ghost is a fireable offense. 

I don’t think it would be straight up if it happened, but I don’t think it’s as insane as you think. GM’s perceive players a lot different than fans a lot of the time.

Edited by MadDog2020