2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'd say let them get Malkin so long as they have to pay something like market price to get him. 

Hopefully I'm not eating my words, but the Rangers are actually kind of a mess, like close where we were at the start of the 2015-16 season.  Their defense group is pretty terrible. And since they started their rebuild, they haven't drafted any real impact players that we know of yet (Chytil and Andersson are probably more disappointing then Zacha thus far into respective careers)... maybe Kravstov or Miller will be that, but they'll probably be trading one of those players for Malkin anyway. 

Malkin will be 33 at the start of next season.  He's the last thing the Rags need, but here's to hoping that Dolan steps in and wants a shiny toy.

You lost me when you compared Chytil at 19 years old to a 22 year old Zacha, every GM in the league would make that trade in a heartbeat. Andersson showed less than nothing this year.

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

You lost me when you compared Chytil at 19 years old to a 22 year old Zacha, every GM in the league would make that trade in a heartbeat. Andersson showed less than nothing this year.

Chytil and Zacha put up the same numbers as 19 year olds, Zacha might have been a little better.  Whatever the case, Chytil is not a guy who scares me and I would probably just stick with Zacha if the Rangers offered me Chytil for him, but I wouldn't feel that strongly about it. 

Andersson is the type of guy I'm hoping to compare to Pavel Brendl some day.  Even his AHL numbers aren't all that impressive.

The point is that the Rangers really have only two sure fire impact players on their roster at the moment, Zbad and Kreider, and they're sort of at the low end of what you call impact players.  They would be absolutely foolish to trade the pieces it would take to get someone like Malkin.   

44 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Chytil and Zacha put up the same numbers as 19 year olds, Zacha might have been a little better.  Whatever the case, Chytil is not a guy who scares me and I would probably just stick with Zacha if the Rangers offered me Chytil for him, but I wouldn't feel that strongly about it. 

Andersson is the type of guy I'm hoping to compare to Pavel Brendl some day.  Even his AHL numbers aren't all that impressive.

The point is that the Rangers really have only two sure fire impact players on their roster at the moment, Zbad and Kreider, and they're sort of at the low end of what you call impact players.  They would be absolutely foolish to trade the pieces it would take to get someone like Malkin.   

Agree Malkin makes no sense for us or them.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I pretty much agree with all of this except Zacha.  I say keep him but short term.

I get this, but at the same time, sometimes you take a gamble with one of your younger players...the Devils will be doling out multiple raises soon...it's never a bad thing to have one guy locked up at a very reasonable term.  If you go short term with him (say 1-2 years) and he starts finding himself in a "3C/PK/defensive forward who can provide some offense" kind of role, that's another guy you may have to give a raise to...just when Palms goes UFA (more on him in a bit).   

Doing this for Zacha is definitely a risk, but not too too crazy of one.  The fact that I'm advocating this is somewhat ironic in that I'm not exactly some huge Zacha fan, but I do believe that in a nicely defined role where he's put in the best position to succeed (and not asked to do too much offensively), that he can work out and help this team. 

Re:  Palms, crazy as this sounds now, I was thinking about this, and I think when his contract's up after the 2020-21 season, he'll go to the Rangers.  The fact that he's on record as having grown up a fan of them is only a small part of it.  I think it's more that he really genuinely seems to love being in this area and very much considers it home, and obviously joining the Blowshirts would allow him to stay right where he is, without much disruption to his off-the-ice life.  The fact that he'll be a UFA (hence, ripe to get overpaid as many UFAs do) factors in too.  Of course, we're assuming a lot of things will go right with the Devils' young guys (and that Hall will be staying), but by that time, several guys will be getting paid handsomely or will be due to be very soon...Hischier, Hughes, Bratt, Smith, Hall, Vatanen, Coleman...sure, some guys will be coming off the books too, but the question becomes, do the Devils want to pay a 30+ year old Palms $6 - 6.5 million per year?  Everyone here knows how big of a fan I am of his, and I would love nothing more than for him to still be here when the Devils finally get over the hump, but I'm not so sure Palms will represent great value at an inflated UFA price point...and there could be cheaper, younger players in the system ready to take his spot by then (always nice to have those to stave off being capped out).  Given the overall state of the defense, if Shero wants to overpay for a UFA, he may be better served spending such money on a good UFA defenseman.

Of course the above is just random off-season mental spitballing while waiting for the draft.  But I wouldn't be that surprised if Palms wound up signing a 5-year, $32.5 million deal or thereabouts to be a Blowshirt...it's the kind of backpage splash that would just be so Ranger-like.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Doing this for Zacha is definitely a risk, but not too too crazy of one. 

It depends what we are talking about in terms of "short term", and what the salary is. If he gets $2.5-$2.9m, I wouldn't care if its a 4-5 year deal. He certainly has at least the potential to contribute on a 3rd or 4th line, and that annual cap hit is next to nothing. I would gamble with the extra years if he's that cheap. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It depends what we are talking about in terms of "short term", and what the salary is. If he gets $2.5-$2.9m, I wouldn't care if its a 4-5 year deal. He certainly has at least the potential to contribute on a 3rd or 4th line, and that annual cap hit is next to nothing. I would gamble with the extra years if he's that cheap. 

Agree, that's why I would go 3+ years at that term (I consider 3+ "long term", 2 or less short term), as I had originally posted when I put him in the "long term" category.  The salary's not so high as to ever be crippling (or unmovable), and low enough where it could be a bargain sooner rather than later.  Like I said, sometimes you gotta take relatively low-cost (from a financial standpoint) risks.  And on Zacha's side, he'll get life-changing money for a while, even though he's still very much a work-in-progress. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get this, but at the same time, sometimes you take a gamble with one of your younger players...the Devils will be doling out multiple raises soon...it's never a bad thing to have one guy locked up at a very reasonable term.  If you go short term with him (say 1-2 years) and he starts finding himself in a "3C/PK/defensive forward who can provide some offense" kind of role, that's another guy you may have to give a raise to...just when Palms goes UFA (more on him in a bit).   

Doing this for Zacha is definitely a risk, but not too too crazy of one.  The fact that I'm advocating this is somewhat ironic in that I'm not exactly some huge Zacha fan, but I do believe that in a nicely defined role where he's put in the best position to succeed (and not asked to do too much offensively), that he can work out and help this team. 

Re:  Palms, crazy as this sounds now, I was thinking about this, and I think when his contract's up after the 2020-21 season, he'll go to the Rangers.  The fact that he's on record as having grown up a fan of them is only a small part of it.  I think it's more that he really genuinely seems to love being in this area and very much considers it home, and obviously joining the Blowshirts would allow him to stay right where he is, without much disruption to his off-the-ice life.  The fact that he'll be a UFA (hence, ripe to get overpaid as many UFAs do) factors in too.  Of course, we're assuming a lot of things will go right with the Devils' young guys (and that Hall will be staying), but by that time, several guys will be getting paid handsomely or will be due to be very soon...Hischier, Hughes, Bratt, Smith, Hall, Vatanen, Coleman...sure, some guys will be coming off the books too, but the question becomes, do the Devils want to pay a 30+ year old Palms $6 - 6.5 million per year?  Everyone here knows how big of a fan I am of his, and I would love nothing more than for him to still be here when the Devils finally get over the hump, but I'm not so sure Palms will represent great value at an inflated UFA price point...and there could be cheaper, younger players in the system ready to take his spot by then (always nice to have those to stave off being capped out).  Given the overall state of the defense, if Shero wants to overpay for a UFA, he may be better served spending such money on a good UFA defenseman.

Of course the above is just random off-season mental spitballing while waiting for the draft.  But I wouldn't be that surprised if Palms wound up signing a 5-year, $32.5 million deal or thereabouts to be a Blowshirt...it's the kind of backpage splash that would just be so Ranger-like.   

Can we do enough to keep him, maybe at a hometown discount, or does he walk?  My bet is on the latter.  Too bad, I like what he brings.

1 hour ago, aclc79 said:

Can we do enough to keep him, maybe at a hometown discount, or does he walk?  My bet is on the latter.  Too bad, I like what he brings.

We're probably getting ahead of ourselves (like I said, was kinda mental spitballing), but that will probably be his only shot to get (over)paid and snag some big money as a UFA.  And the Devils simply not be in the position to give him what he's looking for, even if there's a little bit of a discount (look what friggin' Henrique is making...based on that, if I'm Palms, I think I'm worth at least $6.5 million per season, maybe even a little more).  Ideally, you have young, cost controlled players who can step in and quickly approximate what the departed UFA veteran was providing, but at a much lower cost, and for longer.  Of course this is a very forensic way of looking at things...it doesn't take into account team chemistry, what Palms brings beyond numbers, etc...sometimes guys like him bolt and it can leave a real hole in the lockerroom...some guys do bring more than stats.  Don't get me wrong, it would suck to lose him.  But it may become a "We would absolutely love to keep him, but..." kind of situation. 

41 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Yzerman back with Detroit - not a big surprise but so much better than going to the NYR. 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26558970/source-yzerman-named-red-wings-gm

I think Rag$ are going to let current GM do the rebuild regardless of new Pres. . So far I think he's doing OK. Whether to bring in a Panarin or like UFA possible. They have 2 more years of the king henrik & stall. Gotta pay Kreider.