Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I kinda sorta agree with you, but I'm definitely not a huge fan of "do SOMETHING for the sake of doing something"...if Shero's shown anything so far, it's considerable restraint.  Some are making a big deal about the cap space he's "sitting" on, but if he re-signs Hall, then Hischier and Bratt, and some others...yes, he'll still have plenty of room, but there's obviously guys who are going to get some raises. 

So if it turns out that there really isn't a move that makes a whole lot of sense, I'm not going to destroy him for not making it.  But I can understand some restlessness...not pure hysteria, but restlessness I get.

The above being said, I do think Shero will make some solid moves that will get some of the more "emotional" fans to back off the ledge.

The GM can only do so much.  We know the situation...there are some guys who won't even consider NJ, no matter who the GM is...NJ is a flat-out non-starter to some of these guys, and that is what it is...it's an unfortunate obstacle, but as we've seen, it's also one that CAN be overcome.  I'm definitely not going to the Daniel thing here, and write Shero off when he inevitably doesn't land one of the big-name free agents or have the 2019-20 roster nearly set in stone by 7/2 (especially since he's said that he never really intended to build his Devils team that way to begin with).

Absolutely, it’s going to take a lot to change a lot of the mantra that surrounds this team. Hell we’ve been seeing it since Hynes took over, lazy announcers and personalities still revert to the trap argument, meanwhile ones that actually know their sh!t are able to differentiate.

But he can only live off of “I rebuilt the farm system/ restocked the cupboard” for so long. We knew this was a 3-5 year process to get back to being a competitive team, competitive not contending. This, in my honest humble opinion, is his make or break year.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This. plus i legit don't understand how so many fans are crucifying Shero already when he started with almost nothing and he's legit trying to get us top talent and young talent, its damn hard to do when all the other teams have had a lot more assets from years and years ago. We had NOTHING. Anything we've got is barely "extra" right now.

Im starting to realize that some fans we're simply just like Lou. They wanted results now. fvck the future. That's making you making/wanting reckless / desperate moves just to feel better about the situation but completely sacrificing the future where we had a legit chance at success and trusting the process that could lead there. It's not about when you add pieces... its what pieces you're adding. And maximizing your assets in every possible way

I'm getting ready to crucify Shero because he's been selling us a bill of goods all these years about building the prospect pipeline and taking advantage of all this cap space when the moment is right.  Well he was gifted two lottery wins and has draft picks and cap space galore, and all signs point to him being too timid to do anything of any note at a time when he absolutely has to do it. 

The bottom line he thinks us fans are all suckers and he's probably right.

Edited by Daniel

7 hours ago, Lateralous said:

At this point, I think the bigger issue with Subban is just how slow he looks out there anymore.  He labors to get to every puck.  It’s like Daneyko in NHL94.  I would definitely prefer we stay away.  

Maybe try and get Ryan ellis on the cheap if the Preds want to move out a defenseman.  This assumes Josi and Ekholm are not for sale.   

i keep hearing that. i didnt watch him much last season but its strange that he'd slow down already he's still somewhat young.

But yeah that's another good reason. a big chunk of his game was his speed and thats gone. He could be effective still cause he has a booming shot but he's not really smart with the puck that much. So its not like a Weber or Pronger who can player for a bit even if they are slow

People seem to forget too, Shero almost has to do something significant this offseason because of our need to get to the floor. Say the cap ends up at 82M, even after generously signing our RFA's, we'll still be 5M or 6M below the floor, I'm pretty confident that Ray is going to make some sort of trade over the next couple weeks that's going to bring in some salary, and hopefully that salary is in the form of one or two impact players that we can add to Hall, Nico, Jack, Palms, Vatanen, Seve, Butcher, etc.

Just be patient, if three weeks pass and we're still sitting $6M below the floor with no meaningful players left out there, then I'll get a little panicky.

Also re: Subban, I would love PK here. PK sometimes gets a little overlooked in the top defenseman in the NHL conversation, I really think he's that good. Top 5 for me right now. Plus, I love a player with a little swagger.

• Like 3

From what I heard Hall had a raging cocaine addiction and slept with two players’ girlfriends. 

It seems like he probably mellowed out when he came here but his reputation was.... not good.

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Found out two preseason game dates so far... 

9/18 - Wednesday 7pm at Rangers 

9/20 - Friday 7pm vs Rangers 

Those two games are going to be packed with fans.

Posted (edited)

And so far as Shero not being able to "sell" the team and location to players, that's loser talk.  And if he ever said that to me if I owned the team, I'd fire his ass immediately.  You know how you sell the team, if you have confidence in what you're doing, say you're building a team that will be really special and players should be eager to be a part of it.  There are only so many no state income tax contracts that Tampa or Dallas can give out.

Edited by Daniel

PK, thought you're talking about Phil Kessel

2 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Hell, I wouldn’t mind the hot dog man himself here either, but I don’t want to help the Pens in the process... lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And so far as Shero not being able to "sell" the team and location to players, that's loser talk.  And if he ever said that to me if I owned the team, I'd fire his ass immediately.  You know how you sell the team, if you have confidence in what you're doing, say you're building a team that will be really special and players should be eager to be a part of it.  There are only so many no state income tax contracts that Tampa or Dallas can give out.

This may be the first thing you said that I agree with in the last 24 hours lol.

4 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

No thanks to either to be honest lol

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And so far as Shero not being able to "sell" the team and location to players, that's loser talk.  And if he ever said that to me if I owned the team, I'd fire his ass immediately.  You know how you sell the team, if you have confidence in what you're doing, say you're building a team that will be really special and players should be eager to be a part of it.  There are only so many no sales tax contracts that Tampa or Dallas can give out.

Dallas and TB have something the Devil's don't and that's a stable core. The Devil's don't have that. I'm sure players don't want to come here knowing that the team is a revolving door of talent: Parise, Kovy, and most likely Hall

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just for shiggles, here's the Rags core (stolen from a comment on reddit):

Jacob Trouba (25)

Brady Skjei (25)

Pavel Buchnevich (24)

Brendan Lemieux (23)

Alex Georgiev (23)

Igor Sheterkin (23)

Adam Fox (21)

Brett Howden (21)

Libor Hajek (21)

Ryan Lindgren (21)

Lias Andersson (20)

Filip Chytil (19)

Vitaly Kravtsov (19)

K'Andre Miller (19)

Nils Lundkvist (18)

Kaapo Kakko (18)

Lots of unproven talent, obviously.  That goes without saying.  But holy sh!t are they stockpiling talent.

Compare it to ours and its damn close if not clearly better.. and we've had two lottery wins.

Yet our top end talent will be much better than theirs. You just showed that they have a young team. Who cares? Is Brendan lemieux proof that the rags are ahead of us? Lol...You guys sound like scorned women the way you’re triggered over the rangers doing well for themselves. Newsflash: we’re doing damn well in our rebuild, too. Be happy.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

Dallas and TB have something the Devil's don't and that's a stable core. The Devil's don't have that. I'm sure players don't want to come here knowing that the team is a revolving door of talent: Parise, Kovy, and most likely Hall

It's up to the GM to not have that happen.  And if he tells you there's nothing he can do about it, he's in the wrong business and should retire and be a WalMart greeter, no offense meant for WalMart greeters.

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

From what I heard Hall had a raging cocaine addiction and slept with two players’ girlfriends. 

It seems like he probably mellowed out when he came here but his reputation was.... not good.

And this is why I am willing to give PK a chance.

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm getting ready to crucify Shero because he's been selling us a bill of goods all these years about building the prospect pipeline and taking advantage of all this cap space when the moment is right.  Well he was gifted two lottery wins and has draft picks and cap space galore, and all signs point to him being too timid to do anything of any note at a time when he absolutely has to do it. 

The bottom line he thinks us fans are all suckers and he's probably right.

you're just impatient and doesnt seem to understand how hard it is to make things work. Everything he did up to this point has been positive or at least not impacting us negatively.

Unlike your mentality which is was Lou did. Just making moves to make moves, making desperate signings which impacted us negatively for years and patch work with over the hill guys, which is a big part of the reason we were this bad by 2015

Don't you understand how hard it is to get young talent when there's 30 teams against you? Some fans seem to think the whole world is revolving around their team its ridiculous

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

well that's off ice stuff mostly (obviously the sleeping with teammates gf can fvck up team chemistry in the locker room if true.. but is it true? All the stuff i said about subban... ive seen it with my own eyes, it's not rumours).

When you're talking back to your coach and act like your superior to them, fight multiple teammates and the team that's a different problem. Coaches weren't calling out Hall publically for his sh!t

Anyway it's useless to talk about this anymore. with all the actual proofs (not rumours) i gave if you guys didn't change your mind already nothing will do it. Unless he gets traded to the rangers... than most with jump on the bandgwagon in a second

Edited by SterioDesign

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You're just way too pissy and way too full of Shero hatred right now...apparently based on the fact that it's June 18 and he hasn't somehow managed to sign any UFAs ahead of the 7/1 start date, or didn't make a deal for a guy who simply didn't have NJ on his list. 

Like I said, Shero can TRY to sell NJ to certain players, but you know full well that some players simply don't want to play for certain teams, and no amount of reverse Jedi mind tricks will change that.  Not everyone can be convinced to do something that they NEVER had any interest in doing. 

At any rate, at least give the fvcking guy a chance this offseason before continuing to bellyache in every post.  Like others have noted, at least most people wait until the first week in July to lose their collective sh!t. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

you're just impatient and doesnt seem to understand how hard it is to make things work. Everything he did up to this point has been positive or at least not impacting us negatively.

Unlike your mentality which is was Lou did. Just making moves to make moves, making desperate signings which impacted us negatively for years and patch work with over the hill guys, which is a big part of the reason we were this bad by 2015

Don't you understand how hard it is to get young talent when there's 30 teams against you? Some fans seem to think the whole world is revolving around their team its ridiculous

Lou is one of the greatest GM the sport has ever seen.  Ray's biggest claim to fame is winning a Cup by virtue of just not being a total moron. 

Welcome back Ben Lovejoy!

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW "weaponize our cap space" has now become my new favorite phrase.

Make it sound dirty....

DAMN, I'd like to weaponize HER cap space, if you know what I mean...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That makes him sound even more fun than I thought!!