2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Anyway, Ryan Ellis wrote he thinks NJ needs an upgrade in net. Can't say I really agree.

Compared to what's realistically out there, I'd rather stand pat with Blackwood and Schneider. Smith is such a massive wild card year to year, Talbot is mildly interesting but I'm not too keen on tying more money up in goaltending. Unless something really makes sense and is a definite upgrade, I'd rather go with the Devil we know than the one we don't.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I like you man.... but you take yourself entirely too seriously.

I show respect to other posters here.  I don't mock them, insult them, or denigrate them.

Why can't I be given the same courtesy?    :noclue:

That's not "taking myself too seriously".   That's me trying to enjoy my experience here at njdevs and not being able to because of those factors. 

Just now, glenwo2 said:

I show respect to other posters here.  I don't mock them, insult them, or denigrate them.

That's not "taking myself too seriously".   That's me trying to enjoy my experience here at njdevs and not being able to because of those factors. 

Frankly, the treatment you have received here so far is not much different than a lot of us have gotten from posters at some point on here.  To be honest, the days of actual complete fights on here are much fewer and far between than they used to be.  I would know, since I have participated in plenty of them.

A lot of us are smart-asses on here.  I don't think it is meant to be mean-spirited to you in particular.  One of the advantages of this particular forum is that unlike other forums like HFboards, you don't get reprimanded by mods over anything that can even be remotely interpreted as mean or rude.  I think it's fun to have a little sarcasm on here and a little bit of freedom rather than be tethered to a pretty tight leash on other boards.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I think everyone respects you, but you are very sensitive brother. Don’t take everything so seriously. It’s just a Devils message board lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of the advantages of this particular forum is that unlike other forums like HFboards, you don't get reprimanded by mods over anything that can even be remotely interpreted as mean or rude

And thank God for that....that’s why I don’t post over there. Waaaaay over-moderated.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

You're not wrong and that season was a complete shooting gallery for the NHL.  IIRC he still had 8 of his 16 seasons where he scored 30+ goals and many during the dead-puck era.  He also averaged more than a PPG which Guy Carbonneau cannot claim by a country mile.

Whether or not a guy has a PPG has no bearing on his Hall worthiness.

;) 

9 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I mock everyone, when it’s deserved. Even my wife and my daughter. As they do to me. It’s called having a sense of humor, if you can’t mock your friends, and your friends can’t mock you, that’s a problem.

So I refuse to treat you differently than I treat my friends. I’d suggest growing a pair and rolling with it. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I mock everyone, when it’s deserved. Even my wife and my daughter. As they do to me. It’s called having a sense of humor, if you can’t mock your friends, and your friends can’t mock you, that’s a problem.

So I refuse to treat you differently than I treat my friends. I’d suggest growing a pair and rolling with it. 

C008182E-1F5A-4F0F-83CE-E5D572381D08.gif

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Frankly, the treatment you have received here so far is not much different than a lot of us have gotten from posters at some point on here.  To be honest, the days of actual complete fights on here are much fewer and far between than they used to be.  I would know, since I have participated in plenty of them.

A lot of us are smart-asses on here.  I don't think it is meant to be mean-spirited to you in particular.  One of the advantages of this particular forum is that unlike other forums like HFboards, you don't get reprimanded by mods over anything that can even be remotely interpreted as mean or rude.  I think it's fun to have a little sarcasm on here and a little bit of freedom rather than be tethered to a pretty tight leash on other boards.

Thank you for the respectful response.

I get what you're saying.        No one wants to be walking on egg-shells.

But it's one thing to needle someone a bit in a joking, playful manner but it's totally different from what's occurring with me.     

And while HFboard mods can be a bit annoying-as-fvck with their "rules" and garbage like that, it still makes (for me anyway) for a place where you post something and you get nothing but either respectful disagreements (most times anyway...lol), agreements, or your post just gets ignored.   I'm fine with either of the those three so it's all good.    

But all that said, I'll still be here posting regardless 'cause I like Alternative Devils messageboards. 

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Thank you for the respectful response.

I get what you're saying.        No one wants to be walking on egg-shells.

But it's one thing to needle someone a bit in a joking, playful manner but it's totally different from what's occurring with me.     

And while HFboard mods can be a bit annoying-as-fvck with their "rules" and garbage like that, it still makes (for me anyway) for a place where you post something and you get nothing but either respectful disagreements (most times anyway...lol), agreements, or your post just gets ignored.   I'm fine with either of the those three so it's all good.    

But all that said, I'll still be here posting regardless 'cause I like Alternative Devils messageboards. 

I have seen what has been typed to you and I don't think it has been bad at all.  I have seen far worse to other posters and I have both received and dished out far worse than what you have been getting.

It is not unlike life where you are not going to get along with everyone you come across.  There are a handful of posters that I don't like and I am sure they feel the same about me.  That's why our interactions are very little to nothing these days.

If anything one of the best ways to stop these things is to just stop replying to them as they happen.  It typically stops what's going on in it's tracks and after even 30 minutes it is largely forgotten.

Oh and just as a head's up; the ignore feature on here is terrible.  I haven't used it lately, but it doesn't truly block the person from seeing what you type and from you seeing what they type.  All that needs to be done is someone quoting you and you can see it.  That might have changed though as I haven't tried it in forever.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I have seen what has been typed to you and I don't think it has been bad at all.  I have seen far worse to other posters and I have both received and dished out far worse than what you have been getting.

It is not unlike life where you are not going to get along with everyone you come across.  There are a handful of posters that I don't like and I am sure they feel the same about me.  That's why our interactions are very little to nothing these days.

If anything one of the best ways to stop these things is to just stop replying to them as they happen.  It typically stops what's going on in it's tracks and after even 30 minutes it is largely forgotten.

Oh and just as a head's up; the ignore feature on here is terrible.  I haven't used it lately, but it doesn't truly block the person from seeing what you type and from you seeing what they type.  All that needs to be done is someone quoting you and you can see it.  That might have changed though as I haven't tried it in forever.

Yeah I do notice that when you get a notification, and you click on it, that poster's post does show up even though you have him on ignore.  You would have to refresh the page again to ignore it.    :haha2:

And yeah of course if someone is replying to someone you ignore, you're going to see the post but that doesn't bother me much.       Now that I think about it, I think I'll turn off my notifications since that's the real issue.  lol.

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Cam Talbot, huh?

I guess that's understandable since there's still a question of how Cory does this season.

Hopefully the finish to the NHL season he had was a sign he was getting his stuff back together.

Anyway, it's good to have insurance which Cam will almost certainly be in case Cory shows he doesn't have it anymore.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Of course they did, after I heavily invested in Blackwood jerseys. 

If he is signed, he's not coming here to start over Blackwood. Talbot is coming off a poor season and hasn't really been stellar since 2016-17. The only way Blackwood is losing his spot is if he plays himself out of it - which would be true regardless of whether or not Talbot was here.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

If he is signed, he's not coming here to start over Blackwood. Talbot is coming off a poor season and hasn't really been stellar since 2016-17. The only way Blackwood is losing his spot is if he plays himself out of it - which would be true regardless of whether or not Talbot was here.

I would hope so. 

BUT

Let’s not forget Blackwood was in the ECHL two years ago. It’s possible his trade value may never be higher than right now based on his success last year. 

Trust me, I hope not, because I collect goalie jerseys and I loaded the fvck up on Blackwood lol. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would hope so. 

BUT

Let’s not forget Blackwood was in the ECHL two years ago. It’s possible his trade value may never be higher than right now based on his success last year. 

Trust me, I hope not, because I collect goalie jerseys and I loaded the fvck up on Blackwood lol. 

For the Devils to trade Blackwood, he would have to be part of a package for a realllllyy good player. Blackwood's value is most likely not at it's peak given exactly what you just said - he's not too far removed from the ECHL and has only played stellar for a quarter of one season. Most importantly, there's a chance he's a top goalie in the league next year for >700K cap hit. That's a valuable contract.

If there was someone who might be max value right now, it would be Schneider who carries a cap hit of 6M for the next three seasons and turned around his play in the last part of this past season after 2.5 years of subpar play. If Cory comes in and is bad again next year, we will have little use for him and still be stuck with his contract. Of course, he could come in and be good and then his contract is fine.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1