2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm just playing around with the ArmchairGM thing on capfriendly trying to build a team for next season.

Holy fvck we have a lot of money to spend lol

Ray’s gonna go all Wolf of Wall Street 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm just playing around with the ArmchairGM thing on capfriendly trying to build a team for next season.

Holy fvck we have a lot of money to spend lol

From what I understand, we have more than enough money to re-sign Hall to a MAX deal and still have room to sign another IMPACT player (Panarin?) as well.  

Edited by glenwo2

51 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

From what I understand, we have more than enough money to re-sign Hall to a MAX deal and still have room to sign another IMPACT player (Panarin?) as well.  

Well we'd actually have money for more than that this year but we have to keep in mind that Hall's salary will be higher next season and that Nico, smith and Hughes will be due for raises in 2-3 years too so you can't go too crazy

• Like 1

What's funny is that a lot of people on FB are completely freaking out about potentially adding a player like Panarin or offer sheeting Marner for $10M a year.  A lot of these people forget that 1) Hall is already making $6M a year so if he goes to $10M it is a $4M increase over current, 2) Nico is still a RFA 3) Hughes is going to be cost-controlled for a while 4) Guys like Schnieder, Greene, Zajac and Cammy's buyouts are going to expire over the next 3 years and 5) Cap is continue to rise.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fav part: 

More than anything else, Stevens and Daneyko understand each other as they finish their second season together at the network. Daneyko calls Stevens a “coach at heart” — evidenced by his stints as an NHL assistant — but thinks he’s probably too intense to be a coach. Stevens lauds Daneyko’s broadcasting skills from years of experience as the Devils’ color analyst.

“I paid him to say that,” Daneyko chirps.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

What's funny is that a lot of people on FB are completely freaking out about potentially adding a player like Panarin or offer sheeting Marner for $10M a year.  A lot of these people forget that 1) Hall is already making $6M a year so if he goes to $10M it is a $4M increase over current, 2) Nico is still a RFA 3) Hughes is going to be cost-controlled for a while 4) Guys like Schnieder, Greene, Zajac and Cammy's buyouts are going to expire over the next 3 years and 5) Cap is continue to rise.

I think the Devils can conservatively net add about $16 million in salary for players not currently in the system this offseason.  So theoretically, you could probably add Trouba or Subban and Eberle or Skinner to the roster, especially if you're shipping out Vatanen as part of a deal to get one of the defenseman.  If somehow Panarin or Karlsson are interested in coming here, that's pretty much your plan outside of the draft.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

I don't get why Vatanen is seen as so expendable.  I understand that in order to get you have to give, but outside of being hurt (the concussion from the playoffs), which wasn't even his fault, the guy has done nothing wrong and was a workhorse for us.  He brings a decent amount of offense when it's even strength, plus he quarterbacks the PP.  His defense may not be amazing, but almost all of the somewhat offensively-gifted defenders are like that.  

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Couldn't have said it better. I probably would have used curse words to accentuate my point, but that's because I live in that rival city and that's how we talk over here. 

The idea that it would be a good idea to trade for PK Subban needs to go away.

9 million per year for a declining offensive player who's not great defensively and has been proven to be difficult to coach and constantly create friction in the locker room with his bigger than life egomaniac ways. We don't need that. I wouldnt even sign him at that money, let alone sacrifice assets for him. 

Severson and Butcher's production last season were on par with Subban's production. And we have Smith coming. We're fine with the offense we need to get better defensively

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The idea that it would be a good idea to trade for PK Subban needs to go away.

9 million per year for a declining offensive player who's not great defensively and has been proven to be difficult to coach and constantly create friction in the locker room with his bigger than life egomaniac ways. We don't need that. I wouldnt even sign him at that money, let alone sacrifice assets for him. 

Severson and Butcher's production last season were on par with Subban's production. And we have Smith coming. We're fine with the offense we need to get better defensively

Ok well don't read Dan Rosen's mailbag then... 

With rumors swirling around P.K. Subban, do you think a team like the New Jersey Devils would be a good fit? They are in need of a No. 1 defenseman and his contract would end in time for the Devils to give Jack Hughes, if selected, big money if needed once his entry-level contract ends. -- 

It's a no-brainer for the Devils to try to acquire Subban if they can make a trade work with the Nashville Predators. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-mailbag-pittsburgh-trade-candidates-marners-next-contract/c-307127910

13 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Ok well don't read Dan Rosen's mailbag then... 

With rumors swirling around P.K. Subban, do you think a team like the New Jersey Devils would be a good fit? They are in need of a No. 1 defenseman and his contract would end in time for the Devils to give Jack Hughes, if selected, big money if needed once his entry-level contract ends. -- 

It's a no-brainer for the Devils to try to acquire Subban if they can make a trade work with the Nashville Predators. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-mailbag-pittsburgh-trade-candidates-marners-next-contract/c-307127910

Which such a young group of D man you really want them to be looking up to a vet who talks back and argue with coaches when he gets back to the bench when he makes a mistakes, like he did nothing wrong? i sure don't.

There's better and cheaper options out there if we're going to trade for a dman

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How quickly will SD change allegiances if the Devils trade for PK? 

as fast as i did with Cammalleri remember? I never did. I can be many things but an hypocrite with fan blinders is not one of them

And well... look who's on our buyout payroll at the moment? 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Isn't he a well-known philanthropist? I remember something about an eight-fvcking-figure donation he made a few years ago. And I know he's personally reached out to black hockey players who've seen some nasty racism in their years; it's obviously a white-dominated sport. 

I love PK Subban, to be honest. 

He also shows up for games wearing a purple fur coat and a fedora. Andy Greene doesn’t do that. 

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

EDIT: It was a $10 million dollar donation to the Montreal Children's hospital. That's an entire year's salary, for fvcks sake. 

Yeah, some people don’t even make $10m in a year. Nice guy. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Isn't he a well-known philanthropist? I remember something about an eight-fvcking-figure donation he made a few years ago. And I know he's personally reached out to black hockey players who've seen some nasty racism in their years; it's obviously a white-dominated sport. 

I love PK Subban, to be honest. 

Based on everything we've seen and what's been reported about him. It's absolutely fair to debate if he's not doing those things in order to get attention more than anything else. 

I could also easily point out that donating money when you're rich is NOT automatically making you a good person cause Bill Cosby donated like 23 million to a college once. And we all know he's not a very good person. But again im not comparing the 2 or saying that PK is a bad person. I'm simply saying that throwing money at things shouldn't change people's opinion about a person. 

Also if we're going to bring up that donation, which was 10m... you can't just take it as face value. You have to bring up that it's his foundation that's donating 10m by raising money. He's not dropping 10m out of his pocket in one cheque. It's over 8 years i believe. Last i saw the 10m goal was 30% achieved. And quite frankly, most athletes are donating money every year. But they don't make a big deal out of it like Subban is. Again, for attention. It's really a no brainer if you make that much money cause its a tax write off so eventhough you don't get that money back, at least it's someone in need who gets it. 

Also it's strange that not a single teammate of Subban went to his press conference or any evens he ever put together. Not a single teammate tweeted anything when he got traded. It's been well reported that his egomania was getting on his teammates nerves and creating friction. One of his coach said on tv that with PK you never know what you're getting during a hockey game. If you getting PK playing for your team or if you're getting PK playing for PK.

He's one of the biggest diver in the league, he's one of the most hated player in the league, he's now overpaid for what he brings. He constantly put himself before the team's best interest on and off the ice. Coaches called him out publicly, teammates called him out publicly, players around the league called him out publicly. There's tons of videos of him fighting teammates in practice, tons of video of him talking back to coaches when he gets on the bench after he fvcked up on the ice. Tons of video of him in heated arguments with teammates during games, videos of teammates clearly being annoyed by him during games and practices... 

I mean... name another player who produced a full documentary about him being traded. And another player sharing videos of him giving his sticks to a kid or stuff like that? lol i mean. We see videos like that all the time but it's other people posting them on social media. Not the actual player being like "look how nice i am!" it's virtue signalling and craving attention. Nothing else.

I mean.. what do you guys need to see to understand that he's not worth it? It's not just one single incident. It's all pointing in the same direction.

If we'd need a PR dude or a color commentator. Sure sign me in, he's a fun and entertaining guy. But for a guy in our locker room. Hell no. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He also shows up for games wearing a purple fur coat and a fedora. Andy Greene doesn’t do that. 

Yeah, some people don’t even make $10m in a year. Nice guy. 

It's over 8 years and only 30% has been raised so far. And that donation was "made" 4 years ago. So that's supposed to be 1.25m per year... and he's not even on pace for that. He should have 50% by now at least

Not saying it's not a nice gesture but it was presented in a way to make it look more than it is 

Edited by SterioDesign

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't get why Vatanen is seen as so expendable.  I understand that in order to get you have to give, but outside of being hurt (the concussion from the playoffs), which wasn't even his fault, the guy has done nothing wrong and was a workhorse for us.  He brings a decent amount of offense when it's even strength, plus he quarterbacks the PP.  His defense may not be amazing, but almost all of the somewhat offensively-gifted defenders are like that.  

I wouldn't be looking to move Vatanen. I think he's being misused as a 1D out of necessity, but I would love having a solid 1-2 and have him on the second pairing. 

Of course, 

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's over 8 years and only 30% has been raised so far. And that donation was "made" 4 years ago. So that's supposed to be 1.25m per year... and he's not even on pace for that. He should have 50% by now at least

That's some next level math...

It's easier to say "he donated $10 million", but he didn't. he pledged $10 million through a personal donation, and the rest from a combination of his own foundation and other fundraising. None of that was guaranteed 

That being said, its a douche move to do a press conference with an oversized $10 million check when you aren't actually donating $10 million. 

I saw his foundation donated $1.4m in year 1. But I don't see much else. Where did you get your numbers from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

as fast as i did with Cammalleri remember? I never did. I can be many things but an hypocrite with fan blinders is not one of them

And well... look who's on our buyout payroll at the moment? 

Your problem with Cammy was that he was a locker room cancer. I didn't think he was very good on the ice for us but by all accounts he was fine in the locker room here. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn't be looking to move Vatanen. I think he's being misused as a 1D out of necessity, but I would love having a solid 1-2 and have him on the second pairing. 

Of course, 

That's some next level math...

It's easier to say "he donated $10 million", but he didn't. he pledged $10 million through a personal donation, and the rest from a combination of his own foundation and other fundraising. None of that was guaranteed 

That being said, its a douche move to do a press conference with an oversized $10 million check when you aren't actually donating $10 million. 

I saw his foundation donated $1.4m in year 1. But I don't see much else. Where did you get your numbers from?

i remember seeing it on his actual website. So i assume its legit. Just google it and i still see the text in the result but the actual page is now gone.

they also mentioned something about it on a video i saw from RDS not long ago. I could find it but it's french

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 4.15.46 PM.png

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i remember seeing it on his actual website. So i assume its legit. Just google it and i still see the text in the result but the actual page is now gone.

they also mentioned something about it on a video i saw from RDS not long ago. I could find it but it's french

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 4.15.46 PM.png

Yeah that link is dead so who knows when it was last updated. That's not a very reliable source. 

Neither is a video that only you understand lol. 

In any event, he clearly did not donate $10m despite the giant check, and the reports and the talk show appearances. He pledged to raise $10m,  and to donate some unspecified part of it himself. Not the same. 

I don't know if he himself says "I donated $10m", if he does, he's a douche and a liar. 

Montreal media and their fans also have a tendency to blow up....well...just about everything.  One minute the prevailing story by Montreal media and their fans is that PK is an overpaid, lazy, self-centered jerk who is both overrated and a locker room cancer.  The minute he gets traded the Montreal media is treating it like a national disaster and fans are taking out full page ads in the newspaper saying it is the darkest day in team history since they traded Patrick Roy.

Edited by DevsMan84

21 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Your problem with Cammy was that he was a locker room cancer. I didn't think he was very good on the ice for us but by all accounts he was fine in the locker room here. 

Thats actually true though and you're right. I don't remember him causing any problem in NJ. But he had problems in LA, Calgary and MTL. So it was not unfair to be worried about it.

I did say i never liked him but that he was a scorer so that i'd take his goals, just wouldnt cheer for him. His play dropped and he sucked and was bought out.

At the end of the day i never changed my mind and liked him more because he was a Devil. Which is what was insinuated i'd do and why i brought him up. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1