Jump to content

2019 Offseason Thread


Recommended Posts

On 4/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, njbuff said:

You folks are putting way too much stock in Kyle Palmieri.

If you have to include him to get a good D man, you do it, plain and simple.

Palmieri doesn't offer this team anything if he isn't scoring goals.

The Devils can.always sign a winger to replace Palmieri. Getting a D man is tougher.

He does offer the third highest wipeouts per 60 mins next to Wood and Gabriel.  So let's not overlook that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn... my only comeback to this is really arrogant... That will not help my case... 

Daniel, you've been watching pro sports long enough to know that GMs don't often make for great interviews...they don't tend to spell out what they're going to do, and a lot of times fall back on vagu

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

He does offer the third highest wipeouts per 60 mins next to Wood and Gabriel.  So let's not overlook that.

He’d be an annual 50 goal scorer if he could stay on his feet. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm just playing around with the ArmchairGM thing on capfriendly trying to build a team for next season.

Holy fvck we have a lot of money to spend lol

Ray’s gonna go all Wolf of Wall Street 

giphy.gif

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm just playing around with the ArmchairGM thing on capfriendly trying to build a team for next season.

Holy fvck we have a lot of money to spend lol

From what I understand, we have more than enough money to re-sign Hall to a MAX deal and still have room to sign another IMPACT player (Panarin?) as well.  

 

Edited by glenwo2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

From what I understand, we have more than enough money to re-sign Hall to a MAX deal and still have room to sign another IMPACT player (Panarin?) as well.  

 

Well we'd actually have money for more than that this year but we have to keep in mind that Hall's salary will be higher next season and that Nico, smith and Hughes will be due for raises in 2-3 years too so you can't go too crazy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What's funny is that a lot of people on FB are completely freaking out about potentially adding a player like Panarin or offer sheeting Marner for $10M a year.  A lot of these people forget that 1) Hall is already making $6M a year so if he goes to $10M it is a $4M increase over current, 2) Nico is still a RFA 3) Hughes is going to be cost-controlled for a while 4) Guys like Schnieder, Greene, Zajac and Cammy's buyouts are going to expire over the next 3 years and 5) Cap is continue to rise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fav part: 

More than anything else, Stevens and Daneyko understand each other as they finish their second season together at the network. Daneyko calls Stevens a “coach at heart” — evidenced by his stints as an NHL assistant — but thinks he’s probably too intense to be a coach. Stevens lauds Daneyko’s broadcasting skills from years of experience as the Devils’ color analyst.

“I paid him to say that,” Daneyko chirps.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

What's funny is that a lot of people on FB are completely freaking out about potentially adding a player like Panarin or offer sheeting Marner for $10M a year.  A lot of these people forget that 1) Hall is already making $6M a year so if he goes to $10M it is a $4M increase over current, 2) Nico is still a RFA 3) Hughes is going to be cost-controlled for a while 4) Guys like Schnieder, Greene, Zajac and Cammy's buyouts are going to expire over the next 3 years and 5) Cap is continue to rise.

I think the Devils can conservatively net add about $16 million in salary for players not currently in the system this offseason.  So theoretically, you could probably add Trouba or Subban and Eberle or Skinner to the roster, especially if you're shipping out Vatanen as part of a deal to get one of the defenseman.  If somehow Panarin or Karlsson are interested in coming here, that's pretty much your plan outside of the draft.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why Vatanen is seen as so expendable.  I understand that in order to get you have to give, but outside of being hurt (the concussion from the playoffs), which wasn't even his fault, the guy has done nothing wrong and was a workhorse for us.  He brings a decent amount of offense when it's even strength, plus he quarterbacks the PP.  His defense may not be amazing, but almost all of the somewhat offensively-gifted defenders are like that.  

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

What's funny is that a lot of people on FB are completely freaking out about potentially adding a player like Panarin or offer sheeting Marner for $10M a year.  A lot of these people forget that 1) Hall is already making $6M a year so if he goes to $10M it is a $4M increase over current, 2) Nico is still a RFA 3) Hughes is going to be cost-controlled for a while 4) Guys like Schnieder, Greene, Zajac and Cammy's buyouts are going to expire over the next 3 years and 5) Cap is continue to rise.

Couldn't have said it better. I probably would have used curse words to accentuate my point, but that's because I live in that rival city and that's how we talk over here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea that it would be a good idea to trade for PK Subban needs to go away.

9 million per year for a declining offensive player who's not great defensively and has been proven to be difficult to coach and constantly create friction in the locker room with his bigger than life egomaniac ways. We don't need that. I wouldnt even sign him at that money, let alone sacrifice assets for him. 

Severson and Butcher's production last season were on par with Subban's production. And we have Smith coming. We're fine with the offense we need to get better defensively

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The idea that it would be a good idea to trade for PK Subban needs to go away.

9 million per year for a declining offensive player who's not great defensively and has been proven to be difficult to coach and constantly create friction in the locker room with his bigger than life egomaniac ways. We don't need that. I wouldnt even sign him at that money, let alone sacrifice assets for him. 

Severson and Butcher's production last season were on par with Subban's production. And we have Smith coming. We're fine with the offense we need to get better defensively

Ok well don't read Dan Rosen's mailbag then... 

With rumors swirling around P.K. Subban, do you think a team like the New Jersey Devils would be a good fit? They are in need of a No. 1 defenseman and his contract would end in time for the Devils to give Jack Hughes, if selected, big money if needed once his entry-level contract ends. -- 

It's a no-brainer for the Devils to try to acquire Subban if they can make a trade work with the Nashville Predators. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-mailbag-pittsburgh-trade-candidates-marners-next-contract/c-307127910

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Ok well don't read Dan Rosen's mailbag then... 

With rumors swirling around P.K. Subban, do you think a team like the New Jersey Devils would be a good fit? They are in need of a No. 1 defenseman and his contract would end in time for the Devils to give Jack Hughes, if selected, big money if needed once his entry-level contract ends. -- 

It's a no-brainer for the Devils to try to acquire Subban if they can make a trade work with the Nashville Predators. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-mailbag-pittsburgh-trade-candidates-marners-next-contract/c-307127910

Which such a young group of D man you really want them to be looking up to a vet who talks back and argue with coaches when he gets back to the bench when he makes a mistakes, like he did nothing wrong? i sure don't.

There's better and cheaper options out there if we're going to trade for a dman

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How quickly will SD change allegiances if the Devils trade for PK? 

as fast as i did with Cammalleri remember? I never did. I can be many things but an hypocrite with fan blinders is not one of them

And well... look who's on our buyout payroll at the moment? 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

as fast as i did with Cammalleri remember? I never did. I can be many things but an hypocrite with fan blinders is not one of them

You hate PK Subban more than I love my mom. 

And I love my momma. 

(for the record, I'm saying you'd jump ship. not buy a PK jersey. I'm also saying it tongue-in-cheek but that's a naive concept to you for some reason.) 

Edited by MB3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yah but you're saying that like it's undeserved. He deserves it.

The PK part anyway... my mom do deserve your love

Isn't he a well-known philanthropist? I remember something about an eight-fvcking-figure donation he made a few years ago. And I know he's personally reached out to black hockey players who've seen some nasty racism in their years; it's obviously a white-dominated sport. 

I love PK Subban, to be honest. 

 

EDIT: It was a $10 million dollar donation to the Montreal Children's hospital. That's an entire year's salary, for fvcks sake. 

Edited by MB3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Isn't he a well-known philanthropist? I remember something about an eight-fvcking-figure donation he made a few years ago. And I know he's personally reached out to black hockey players who've seen some nasty racism in their years; it's obviously a white-dominated sport. 

I love PK Subban, to be honest. 

He also shows up for games wearing a purple fur coat and a fedora. Andy Greene doesn’t do that. 

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

EDIT: It was a $10 million dollar donation to the Montreal Children's hospital. That's an entire year's salary, for fvcks sake. 

Yeah, some people don’t even make $10m in a year. Nice guy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Isn't he a well-known philanthropist? I remember something about an eight-fvcking-figure donation he made a few years ago. And I know he's personally reached out to black hockey players who've seen some nasty racism in their years; it's obviously a white-dominated sport. 

I love PK Subban, to be honest. 

Based on everything we've seen and what's been reported about him. It's absolutely fair to debate if he's not doing those things in order to get attention more than anything else. 

I could also easily point out that donating money when you're rich is NOT automatically making you a good person cause Bill Cosby donated like 23 million to a college once. And we all know he's not a very good person. But again im not comparing the 2 or saying that PK is a bad person. I'm simply saying that throwing money at things shouldn't change people's opinion about a person. 

Also if we're going to bring up that donation, which was 10m... you can't just take it as face value. You have to bring up that it's his foundation that's donating 10m by raising money. He's not dropping 10m out of his pocket in one cheque. It's over 8 years i believe. Last i saw the 10m goal was 30% achieved. And quite frankly, most athletes are donating money every year. But they don't make a big deal out of it like Subban is. Again, for attention. It's really a no brainer if you make that much money cause its a tax write off so eventhough you don't get that money back, at least it's someone in need who gets it. 

Also it's strange that not a single teammate of Subban went to his press conference or any evens he ever put together. Not a single teammate tweeted anything when he got traded. It's been well reported that his egomania was getting on his teammates nerves and creating friction. One of his coach said on tv that with PK you never know what you're getting during a hockey game. If you getting PK playing for your team or if you're getting PK playing for PK.

He's one of the biggest diver in the league, he's one of the most hated player in the league, he's now overpaid for what he brings. He constantly put himself before the team's best interest on and off the ice. Coaches called him out publicly, teammates called him out publicly, players around the league called him out publicly. There's tons of videos of him fighting teammates in practice, tons of video of him talking back to coaches when he gets on the bench after he fvcked up on the ice. Tons of video of him in heated arguments with teammates during games, videos of teammates clearly being annoyed by him during games and practices... 

I mean... name another player who produced a full documentary about him being traded. And another player sharing videos of him giving his sticks to a kid or stuff like that? lol i mean. We see videos like that all the time but it's other people posting them on social media. Not the actual player being like "look how nice i am!" it's virtue signalling and craving attention. Nothing else.

I mean.. what do you guys need to see to understand that he's not worth it? It's not just one single incident. It's all pointing in the same direction.

If we'd need a PR dude or a color commentator. Sure sign me in, he's a fun and entertaining guy. But for a guy in our locker room. Hell no. 

 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He also shows up for games wearing a purple fur coat and a fedora. Andy Greene doesn’t do that. 

Yeah, some people don’t even make $10m in a year. Nice guy. 

It's over 8 years and only 30% has been raised so far. And that donation was "made" 4 years ago. So that's supposed to be 1.25m per year... and he's not even on pace for that. He should have 50% by now at least

Not saying it's not a nice gesture but it was presented in a way to make it look more than it is 

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't get why Vatanen is seen as so expendable.  I understand that in order to get you have to give, but outside of being hurt (the concussion from the playoffs), which wasn't even his fault, the guy has done nothing wrong and was a workhorse for us.  He brings a decent amount of offense when it's even strength, plus he quarterbacks the PP.  His defense may not be amazing, but almost all of the somewhat offensively-gifted defenders are like that.  

I wouldn't be looking to move Vatanen. I think he's being misused as a 1D out of necessity, but I would love having a solid 1-2 and have him on the second pairing. 

Of course, 

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's over 8 years and only 30% has been raised so far. And that donation was "made" 4 years ago. So that's supposed to be 1.25m per year... and he's not even on pace for that. He should have 50% by now at least

That's some next level math...

It's easier to say "he donated $10 million", but he didn't. he pledged $10 million through a personal donation, and the rest from a combination of his own foundation and other fundraising. None of that was guaranteed 

That being said, its a douche move to do a press conference with an oversized $10 million check when you aren't actually donating $10 million. 

I saw his foundation donated $1.4m in year 1. But I don't see much else. Where did you get your numbers from?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

as fast as i did with Cammalleri remember? I never did. I can be many things but an hypocrite with fan blinders is not one of them

And well... look who's on our buyout payroll at the moment? 

Your problem with Cammy was that he was a locker room cancer. I didn't think he was very good on the ice for us but by all accounts he was fine in the locker room here. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.