2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Since Laine is much younger than Subban, and Winnipeg- while not in great cap shape- isn’t as desperate for cap room as Nashville was, the cost would definitely be more than what we gave up for Subban. Laine also doesn’t miss many games (physically miss them, anyway... the knock on him is he takes nights off).

I’d assume that’s right. I don’t see it happening. I honestly don’t see us landing a top 6 (maybe top 3) forward. It would make our already very successful offseason the best we’ve had in a long time. 

• Like 1

Why, did they fire their Director of Social Media this off-season?

Just now, Nicomo said:

Doesn’t speak French? No problem! He can just communicate with the press through emojis lol

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Why, did they fire their Director of Social Media this off-season?

Different, but the same lol. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d assume that’s right. I don’t see it happening. I honestly don’t see us landing a top 6 (maybe top 3) forward. It would make our already very successful offseason the best we’ve had in a long time. 

The rumor is we’re in on Frolik.... I think that’s the type of forward acquisition we’re looking at. As @Guadana mentioned yesterday though, Ferland would be a really solid add.

The rumor is we’re in on Frolik.... I think that’s the type of forward acquisition we’re looking at. As @Guadana mentioned yesterday though, Ferland would be a really solid add.

I feel like this is the third year in a row there have been Frolík rumors. I’d like him or Ferland, those would be nice adds. 

I know they are both LW’s, but a 4th line of Wood-Zacha-Ferland sounds interesting. 

• Like 1

the more i think about it... we legit have a window where we can really go all-in and without sacrificing the future at all. If it doesnt work we can simply flip assets and reload

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

What would Hall ask for if that happens? 

well maybe you throw something like "you remember that cup thing you wanted so much and the talent you wanted the team to get.... this is the price we have to pay to get it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The Devils could give Panarin like 3 years at $15 million a year and it wouldn’t stop them from doing whatever else they need to do.  

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Why would Panarin do that? 

He wouldn’t. He’s getting a 7 year deal. 

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A ticket back to the universe that we live in and not some bizarro world where the best free agent winger to ever hit the market takes a 3 year deal.

Brett Hull and Teemu Selanne would like a word...

36 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Why would Panarin do that? 

If he is still about the same player he is now in three years (not an unreasonable bet to make) he can sign a new deal and make a lot more money when it’s all said and done.  In the meantime, even if the worst happens, he’s netted about 60 percent of what he’d get on a seven year deal in only 3 years.  

Edited by Daniel

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A ticket back to the universe that we live in and not some bizarro world where the best free agent winger to ever hit the market takes a 3 year deal.

Maybe in that bizzaro world three years is actually seven years.... ever think of that? 😛

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If he is still about the same player he is now in three years (not an unreasonable bet to make) he can sign a new deal and make a lot more money when it’s all said and done.  In the meantime, even if the worst happens, he’s netted about 60 percent of what he’d get on a seven year deal in only 3 years.  

And if he gets seriously hurt, there goes all that extra money. He’s signing a seven year deal- no one in their right mind would sacrifice real guaranteed dollars today for hypothetical dollars in three years.

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Wasn’t Selänne like 35 when he was a UFA? 

Yep, but he’s one of the best players of all time, and he scored 40 goals and 90 points his first year back with the Ducks, and 94 the next season. And he helped them win a Cup. 

Same goes for Hall signing with the Stars in his early-mid thirties. 

But yeah, if you factor in Panarin is only 27 he’s gotta be way up there on the list of best UFA wingers. 

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Friedman says leafs may offer Marner 2 years at 8 mil per and wait for the big tv deal to kick in and then offer max...

I can't see that happening

Marner’s agent just pissed himself laughing lmfao. The day Marner signs for two years is the day Satan has to buy a snow shovel. 

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, because players take such chances all the time in their mid-to-late 20s? 60 percent in three years isn't that great...he could stand to lose 30M+ dollars if something goes wrong. Actually it's possible he could get something close to that in the first three years on a 7 year deal anyway if it's a little bit front loaded. McDavid's 8-year contract/12.5M cap hit, which started this past year pays him as follows in salary over the first four years:

year 1: 15M

year 2: 14M

year 3: 13M

year 4: 15M

On whatever contract Panarin gets it's reasonable to think he makes at least 39/40M in the first three years. That's just 13M in salary a year.

Edited by Neb00rs

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Marner’s agent just pissed himself laughing lmfao. The day Marner signs for two years is the day Satan has to buy a snow shovel. 

We talking Satan as in "the devil" or as in Miroslav Satan? Because the difference means everything.

• Haha 1