Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If he is still about the same player he is now in three years (not an unreasonable bet to make) he can sign a new deal and make a lot more money when it’s all said and done.  In the meantime, even if the worst happens, he’s netted about 60 percent of what he’d get on a seven year deal in only 3 years.  

And if he gets seriously hurt, there goes all that extra money. He’s signing a seven year deal- no one in their right mind would sacrifice real guaranteed dollars today for hypothetical dollars in three years.

yeah im not really feeling the Frolik thing at all. he's a 30-40 pts guy... i'd rather give the chance to one of our kids for that

Friedman says leafs may offer Marner 2 years at 8 mil per and wait for the big tv deal to kick in and then offer max...

I can't see that happening

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Wasn’t Selänne like 35 when he was a UFA? 

Yep, but he’s one of the best players of all time, and he scored 40 goals and 90 points his first year back with the Ducks, and 94 the next season. And he helped them win a Cup. 

Same goes for Hall signing with the Stars in his early-mid thirties. 

But yeah, if you factor in Panarin is only 27 he’s gotta be way up there on the list of best UFA wingers. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Yep, but he’s one of the best players of all time, and he scored 40 goals and 90 points his first year back with the Ducks, and 94 the next season. And he helped them win a Cup. 

Same goes for Hall signing with the Stars in his early-mid thirties. 

But yeah, if you factor in Panarin is only 27 he’s gotta be way up there on the list of best UFA wingers. 

To be fair, those were the post lockout everyone has 100 points seasons. Didn’t Jagr have like 140 points or something stupid? 

Anyway; sounds like we’re just agreeing so I’ll change my original post. A 27-year-old who is arguably best winger to ever hit the open market is absolutely never going to sign a 3 year deal.

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Friedman says leafs may offer Marner 2 years at 8 mil per and wait for the big tv deal to kick in and then offer max...

I can't see that happening

Marner’s agent just pissed himself laughing lmfao. The day Marner signs for two years is the day Satan has to buy a snow shovel. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If he is still about the same player he is now in three years (not an unreasonable bet to make) he can sign a new deal and make a lot more money when it’s all said and done.  In the meantime, even if the worst happens, he’s netted about 60 percent of what he’d get on a seven year deal in only 3 years.  

Yeah, because players take such chances all the time in their mid-to-late 20s? 60 percent in three years isn't that great...he could stand to lose 30M+ dollars if something goes wrong. Actually it's possible he could get something close to that in the first three years on a 7 year deal anyway if it's a little bit front loaded. McDavid's 8-year contract/12.5M cap hit, which started this past year pays him as follows in salary over the first four years:

year 1: 15M

year 2: 14M

year 3: 13M

year 4: 15M

On whatever contract Panarin gets it's reasonable to think he makes at least 39/40M in the first three years. That's just 13M in salary a year.

Edited by Neb00rs

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Marner’s agent just pissed himself laughing lmfao. The day Marner signs for two years is the day Satan has to buy a snow shovel. 

We talking Satan as in "the devil" or as in Miroslav Satan? Because the difference means everything.

• Haha 1

Just now, Neb00rs said:

We talking Satan as in "the devil" or as in Miroslav Satan? Because the difference means everything.

My guess is that being from Slovakia, Miro probably owns several snow shovels. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

More than the 3 years/15m that was proposed??

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Over 5 minutes worth of highlights from Zacha? It must include a lot of replays, different angles, etc. 

I love ya brother.... but I can’t wait to (hopefully) watch Zacha make you eat sh!t lol.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love ya brother.... but I can’t wait to (hopefully) watch Zacha make you eat sh!t lol.

I’ve been waiting for that for years. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve been waiting for that for years. 

Hopefully this is his breakout year.... he’s shown the signs. He just needs to show the consistency.

8 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Why would Panarin do that? 

I mean, purely theory here, but he could sign a shorter-term deal because when the new TV deal hits in a few years the cap's probably going to skyrocket.

He could probably get a much larger AAV in 3-4 years.

I'm sure it's been discussed already - probably on this thread - but I haven't been on the forum in a bit.  What UFAs does everyone think Shero might be targeting, or who would be the likeliest?  My gut tells me, after the sweet Subban robbery that we're maybe in it for the second tier guys, i.e. Dzingel, Donskoi, Nyquist, Connelly, etc.  who could slot into the top 6 or 9 in case a guy like Boqvist isn't ready to handle those minutes.  These guys seem like they'd come in much more affordable, but I could be wrong. 

Maybe Shero has something bigger in mind, although I can't really see him chasing the Bread Man, nor do UFA centers really make sense, and I'll believe in offer sheets when I see one.  There are also still trades on the table with cap-strapped teams like Vegas, Toronto, and so on as options.  What is everyone thinking?

I'm sure Ray is thinking of Greener's replacement this being his last year of current contract. . Also with Zajac. He has 2 years left at 5.7. Trav has "settled" in NJ and loves it here. It's home,

Although I wish we could make a play for Kadri. , we're looking so much better down the middle. Many will disagree, I think Zacha IS Travs replacement. 

Predictions for '19-20:  Who of the following will go deep & surprise  in regular camp in Sept. gut feeling will be on opening night roster

Boquist/Zetterland/Bastian/Studenic/McCleod. 

I think Studenic (had very good WC w/ Slovakia) & Bastian (only if Devils don't bring in Ferland or a Simmons type)

59 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, purely theory here, but he could sign a shorter-term deal because when the new TV deal hits in a few years the cap's probably going to skyrocket.

He could probably get a much larger AAV in 3-4 years.

Again- if he gets seriously injured, kiss that goodbye. It’s never happening. 

I could see the Devils having interest in Wayne Simmonds. I know he isn't well liked around here, but he'll add some toughness that Shero seems to be looking for, and he can score goals.

5 minutes ago, nessus said:

I could see the Devils having interest in Wayne Simmonds. I know he isn't well liked around here, but he'll add some toughness that Shero seems to be looking for, and he can score goals.

He USED to be able to score goals.

He's done-zo imo.  He's slow, he's old, he's.. the exact type of player the Devils are trying to avoid.

And some stupid GM is going to offer him 7x5 this offseason.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Again- if he gets seriously injured, kiss that goodbye. It’s never happening. 

Fair, there's definitely risk for the player in this scenario.

• Like 1