2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

1994, 6th pick: Ryan Smith. Not bad, 386G, 456A in my 1270  games. 

I’ll add a step; look at your draft year and position and see if there’s someone below you that you’d prefer have been drafted in “your” spot. 

Mine is an old friend we all know: Patrik Elias, 51st pick overall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

1999. I got Panel Brendl. Side note, what a garbage draft that was outside of the Sedins and a few others

There were some really garbage drafts in the mid to late 90’s. The 1996 draft is a fvcking dumpster fire.

Edited by MadDog2020

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s the other Petr Sykora I think lol. Our Petr Sykora was drafted in ‘95.

D’oh! You get Brenden Morrow instead. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There were some really garbage drafts in the mid to late 90’s. The 1996 draft is a fvcking dumpster fire.

‘97 wasn’t great either. After the first few picks, that pool got real shallow real fast. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And we had Marty. Good call Lou and Conte. 🙄

In fairness, at that point in his career, he only had a World Championship, All Rookie team, Calder Trophy, two All Star appearances, a Jennings Trophy, a Vezina nomination, a division championship, a conference championship, 117 wins, and a Stanley Cup in his first 4 years. Who would’ve known he was gonna pan out??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

The problem with this logic is, you’ll never have any success because as players come into their prime, they’ll be looking for a high value, long term deal. Which, as we’ve all seen through the years, plenty of teams are willing to give. If you don’t give Hall that deal, he walks. You don’t give Hughes that deal 7 years down the line, he walks. You stay out of “cap hell” and out of contention. 

We’ve already been doing that, for YEARS. It’s no great mystery to me that we’ve had tons of cap room for years and have failed to be competitive. 

If we wind up in “cap hell” because Taylor got a $4m raise, then the team has been mismanaged, and/or 4-5 of our young guys have had all star starts to their season and are entitled to huge raises. That’s not a problem. That’s how teams succeed. 

1. Taylor Hall at age 24, 8y@10m, no problem. At age 32 after 8 years, Hall will be a tradeable asset because of the cap going up.

2. Taylor Hall at age 29, 8y@10m. not worth it. 3y@10m, 5y@9mill, 7y@8mill, ok even though I think the 7y length is too long. At age 37, after 8 years, Hall will be way below the 10m market value even with the cap going up.

I am all for paying a guy like Mitch Marner 7@10/11m, but not Hall at this age. To me, it does not make business sense.

6 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

1. Taylor Hall at age 24, 8y@10m, no problem. At age 32 after 8 years, Hall will be a tradeable asset because of the cap going up.

2. Taylor Hall at age 29, 8y@10m. not worth it. 3y@10m, 5y@9mill, 7y@8mill, ok even though I think the 7y length is too long. At age 37, after 8 years, Hall will be way below the 10m market value even with the cap going up.

I am all for paying a guy like Mitch Marner 7@10/11m, but not Hall at this age. To me, it does not make business sense.

And my point was, someone else will pay him, or any other player so situated. You have to take the bad years to have the good. If you don’t, you won’t retain anyone and you’ll never win. 

17 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I think it makes less business sense to just keep trading everyone away as they hit their prime because you don't want to give them long term security. A player doesn't want a short contract at that age. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lol I am so out on this conversation. Your logic is lame, your reasoning is lame, your examples are flat out incorrect, and your responses are identical. 

I’m gonna pretend I know you were talking about him and not me lol. 

I know this because the idea that Taylor Hall would even consider a 3 year deal is ludicrous, and that was not my idea!

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And my point was, someone else will pay him, or any other player so situated. You have to take the bad years to have the good. If you don’t, you won’t retain anyone and you’ll never win. 

I agree that will happen, look at Joe Pavelski coming off a 35+ goal season. Someone will definitely sign him, but I dont think anyone will give him 10m. On the flipside Panarin will most likely get 8y@12m by some other team.

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lol I am so out on this conversation. Your logic is lame, your reasoning is lame, your examples are flat out incorrect, and your responses are identical. 

Good, stay out of this conversation, because you're not discussing but rather attacking me personally. You don't know how to disagree respectfully.

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it makes less business sense to just keep trading everyone away as they hit their prime because you don't want to give them long term security. A player doesn't want a short contract at that age.  

I don't necessarily propose trading Hall, but would much rather see him sign a contract which does not hamstring us. Trading is an option as well though.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m gonna pretend I know you were talking about him and not me lol. 

I know this because the idea that Taylor Hall would even consider a 3 year deal is ludicrous, and that was not my idea!

I am not proposing 3 years, I am articulating what I think he is worth. Even I know he does not sign for such a short term. I'd propose something like 10/10/10/9/8/7/6/5 or something along those lines.

Edited by Anhkheg

saw a Rangers fan that i know at the bar last night. He was going on about how the rivalry between the Rangers and Devils will be renewed and bla bla bla and at some point said something like "adding Kakko, Trouva and Panarin is a big boost for the team" like Panarin was a done deal already.

Man i hope he signs somewhere else cause im sure there's tons of Rangers fans like that