2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

34 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Wtf was Chicago thinking in trading back for Shaw? His contract is atrocious on an already cap strapped team. Did they owe Bergevin a favour something? 

His contract is definitely not atrocious. He is in his prime (turning 28 in July) and has a 3.9M cap hit for three years. He had 47 points in 63 GP (19G, 28A).

As for what Chicago sees in him and why he cost what he did. Well, he played well 5v5, coming in at 25th in the league in 5v5 goals/60 (min. 20 GP). His TOI and 5v5 goal numbers are comparable to Jake DeBrusk.

He was also 3rd in the league (behind Kucherov and Crosby) in 5v5 P/60  (min. 11 GP) and 41 of his 47 points came at even strength. When Shaw's was on the ice 5v5, his line was productive and dangerous. I'm not suggesting at 20 minutes TOI a game he'd be elite but he might be in for a big year next year,

Shaw is not always healthy, but there's promise there and 3.9M is far from atrocious.

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I like that "teams and players can't discuss terms" but every single hockey writer is reporting length and cap hits for the deals signed tomorrow. 

Which is fine, it just seems silly that the NHL pretends that's not what's going on

The NFL and the NBA do the exact same thing. The leagues pretend they hate it, but they secretly love it because it generates buzz and the fans are really into it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I like that "teams and players can't discuss terms" but every single hockey writer is reporting length and cap hits for the deals signed tomorrow. 

Which is fine, it just seems silly that the NHL pretends that's not what's going on

This wouldn't happen if the NHL hadn't themselves sent out a memo dictating more liberal guidelines for the free agent interview period back in summer 2014. I think the only thing the NHL wants to avoid is actual contractual agreements before July 1st - whether verbal or formalized on paper. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Wtf was Chicago thinking in trading back for Shaw? His contract is atrocious on an already cap strapped team. Did they owe Bergevin a favour something? 

Do you not watch hockey mate? His contract isn't bad at all.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Also, it warms the cockles of my heart to know Columbus, a team that has routinely twisted the Devils into a pretzel for the better part of three years, will be seriously weakened with all of these guys leaving for nothing. 

Though, it was pretty much Panarin alone who twisted us into said pretzel.

I have little sympathy for Columbus though. Neither Bob or Panarin signaled that they wanted to stay in Columbus and they kept them for a Cup run anyway despite being far from favorites. You want to call it "guts"? Fine. What I call it is missing out on a bevy of first round picks and top prospects/roster players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Duchene signing for 8m per.

flyers signed Kevin Hayes for 7m per.

lmfao

Tennessee is a similar deal to Florida. No state income tax. Elsewhere, Duchene surely would have fetched more.

The Florida discount:

Edited by Neb00rs

52 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Do you not watch hockey mate? His contract isn't bad at all.

Yes i watch hockey, especially lots of Canadians games living in Ottawa. Shaw had a fluke year last year yes, but every year before that with Montreal he was awful and the contract was often lamented by Montreal media which i also listen to every work day. He's nothing more than a fourth liner, is that worth 3.9 million? 

If the answer is yes, then Ive totally lost track of what sararies should be. 

In a related note, how does Nashville get Duschene for a cheap 8 mil after philly paid that hayes Asscrack 7 million? 

There was some bs lately about Montreal signing duschene for cheap because it was his favorite team, then he goes and signs a sweetheart deal with Nash? That guy has to be the biggest lier in the nhl. 

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

If the answer is yes, then Ive totally lost track of what sararies should be. 

In a related note, how does Nashville get Duschene for a cheap 8 mil after philly paid that hayes Asscrack 7 million? 

You have lost track of what salaries should be. And as mentioned already a few posts before, Duchene went to a team in a state with no income tax.

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

You have lost track of what salaries should be. And as mentioned already a few posts before, Duchene went to a team in a state with no income tax.

Duchene took less because of taxes...but I still feel like Hayes was overpaid. That disparity, even with the tax issue, should be more than a million. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Duchene took less because of taxes...but I still feel like Hayes was overpaid. That disparity, even with the tax issue, should be more than a million. 

Yes, I agree Hayes was overpaid but the egregiousness of the disparity is due to where he signed.

8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

If no one has actually given Panarin 12M AAV yet, this is probably it. We should know by midnight if it worked:

Really cant understand Panarin's love for big neon lights. It would be funny and also a grand waste of time if he goes back there though. Also, he has two hours to accept.

Edited by Anhkheg