2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, question before all the news breaks (or becomes official I guess):

Reportedly Carolina offered Aho only 7.5M x 8 years.  They countered with 9.5M AAV.  

Would you offer sheet him in the 9-10MM range?  Compensation is only 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd.  I know we're stacked at center (or hopefully will be) but.. boy I'd kill to have Aho as our 1C.

Edit: We traded our 2nd next year for Subban.  Moot point. Doh.

Seems like a good move for someone to try but not sure we should get into that given Hughes/Hischier.   Seems like Canadiens might be up to something on that front though.  

Edit: Seems like part of the sticking point with Aho and a lot of these other RFAs is that they only want 5 year deal so they can cash in when the cap goes up.   Giving up a lot of assets on a five year deal is risky.   

Edited by Lateralous

I know the Leafs desperately need cap space and defenseman so dumping the Zaitsev contract and getting Ceci back made sense.   Re-signing Cody Ceci for 4.5 million does not.   Even for one year, that seems like a lot for a bottom pairing guy

On 6/29/2019 at 2:09 AM, Anhkheg said:

We got lucky with our picks and the availability of all the RFAs and UFAs in this cap strapped era. I sure as hell want Jack Hughes to sign for 8y@10m or even 11m as his (expected) return will be high, but Taylor Hall is simply not worth the price tag. I will however, agree to sign him to a 5y @9 mill contract in this cap era or worst case 7@8.5 mill.

But he won't and Shero is not Chiarelli-level stupid to offer him such a lowball contract extension.

9 hours ago, titans04 said:

Booo, big loss here.

Not for nothing, but that may be the most awkward proposal picture I have ever seen. Neither one of them looks comfortable. #BadBodyLanguage. 

There could still be a chance for some of you boys. 

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

I know you’re saying it in jest, but I’m a well adjusted and gainfully employed married male on the good side of 30.

Just because you (not Mfitz in particular) think 11pm bedtimes and reruns of the Big Bang theory is fun for a Friday doesn’t mean that others do. 

Just because you think that your local TGI Friday’s half app happy hour constitutes “nightlife” doesn’t mean others do. 

Just because you wouldn’t spend a Friday night out with gorgeous women and famous DJs in incredible nightclubs doesn’t mean others wouldn’t. 

Its silly and reckless to pretend that you know what he wants. He’s making a decision about the next decade of his life. If he’s going to be happier making a few bucks less but able to see Alesso at LIV on a random Thursday, that’s what he’ll do. That doesn’t mean he has a problem, and hinting at it suggest that you do.

I know you said not me in particular, but I have to respond anyway. 

1) By 11pm on a Friday, I am usually in a fvcking coma. 

2) Big Bang Theory was a good show, and you can totally watch the repeats over and over again. And not just because I understand most of the science. 

3) I am not a Friday's fan. But if you like full price apps over half price apps, who's got the problem here, buddy??

4) When are we taking our wives (the aforementioned gorgeous women) out to see that dude with the fvcking mouse head at this awesome club?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Shero is clearly sticking to his plan...he either wants to trade for someone who's already cost-controlled (and if possible, for a player who's a little younger than a typical UFA), or wants to give young inexpensive players from within a shot to be great value for a few years...he'll go for lower-tier UFAs, but I don't think at this stage that he ever had any interest in trying to reel in the most expensive fish.  Can't argue this logic, really...I have a feeling that the Devils' seemingly endless cap space is going to get eaten up a little quicker than we think, especially if all goes according to plan (basically enough youngins succeed over the next 2-3 years that the Devils have to pay up).   

Or to put it another way:  as far as that 2019 offseason goes, Shero brings in Hughes (yes, he had a lot of luck in getting the #1 pick), deals for Subban, and sometime before the season starts, re-signs Hall to a big extension...along with some decent but not backpage-grabbing moves.  I can definitely live with that. 

Of course, being that it's Shero and that he's about as stealthy as it gets (and has a way of being so under-the-radar with his moves that not even inside sources ever seem to know what he's really up to), I have a feeling his surprise move this offseason will be to offer sheet someone.  Just a fan's hunch. 

Whats frustrating though is that i just know that for some entitled fans, the dust already settled from the hughes and subban acquisition and will sh!t on Shero if he's not signing a big name. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t want to see either Hughes or Nico wasted playing 3C. 

Players taken that high need to be top 6. Unless you’re Nolan Patrick. :P

Much rather go after a winger if we’re going to do something crazy. 

Yup, that's basically it. Aho is great, Anders Lee is ok, and we have no place to put either of them. I am very happy about that. 

We need to spend it on wings & D, like someone trying to hook up at Friday's on 1/2 price app night. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I know you said not me in particular, but I have to respond anyway. 

1) By 11pm on a Friday, I am usually in a fvcking coma. 

2) Big Bang Theory was a good show, and you can totally watch the repeats over and over again. And not just because I understand most of the science. 

3) I am not a Friday's fan. But if you like full price apps over half price apps, who's got the problem here, buddy??

4) When are we taking our wives (the aforementioned gorgeous women) out to see that dude with the fvcking mouse head at this awesome club?

This all makes sense. 

Except the Big Bang Theory part. 

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Whats frustrating though is that i just know that for some entitled fans, the dust already settled from the hughes and subban acquisition and will sh!t on Shero if he's not signing a big name. 

Oh yeah that's totally still going to happen. Could very well be that our big splash was already made. 

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

These people are not bright. Ignore them.

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah how often do you go through July 1st signings from a few years back and go "man that was a big mistake"

I agree...
... But (even if it's not at all the same subjet)... But the fun of UFA frenzy time is killed by already knowing most of the destination of most of UFA players...

Yes we already know how big a mistake most of these signs already are BUT... It was more fun when we discover it in the crazy frenzy flow ...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh yeah that's totally still going to happen. Could very well be that our big splash was already made. 

Hall re-signing will likely be the second big splash...I still think that happens before September (probably before August).  I think the rest will be lil' ripples.  Still have a feeling an offer sheet is coming, with nothing to base that feeling on. 

That little weasel from NY is being shipped to Buffalo.

Hope ya rot out there kid.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

how is the rangers still signing all these players. Are players not seeing that they always end up trading them years later?

THANK YOU

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That little weasel from NY is being shipped to Buffalo.

Hope ya rot out there kid.

THANK YOU

This is, frankly, amazing. How awkward is that for everyone involved, including the fan base? I would boo that guy mercilessly no matter how he performed. 

• Like 1