Islanders Opinion Poll

RunninWithTheDevil

Islanders: Love? Hate? Indifferent?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Just as the title states. As a Devils fan, what is your opinion on the Islanders?

• Love
    • Hate
    • Indifferent
  2. 2. Would you ever/are you rooting for them in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't even been watching them
  3. 3. Last week on the Michael Kay Show, Don Lagreca brought this topic up and some people said that it makes you a fraud to root for another team in the playoffs. Does it?

• Yes
    • No
    • "It's complicated but...."

We haven’t played the Islanders in the playoffs enough to build a real rivalry. We played them once, in ‘88- that’s it. Rivalries are built in the playoffs. While I don’t like them by any means, I’ve always been more or less indifferent towards them.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm listening to Lou being interviewed on the radio right now and I never noticed the whistle noise he makes when he pronounces S's. And now it's all I hear. 

Also he's giving a very Lou interview. 

How many "Status quo's did you count?

I'm happy for Isles fans because of so long being laughing stock. Things would start to look up and got messy again.  I too am happy for Lou. I root for whatever team is playing the Rangers or Flyers, and now Toronto. I no longer hate them, but don't want them to succeed. I'm sure they feel same about us. 

I'm a hockey fan as well, and love seeing upsets. loving seeing Canes success this year,  and the Isles.  

As far as classless fans, we all have them. Nobody has a lock on a$$holedness

7 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm happy for Isles fans because of so long being laughing stock. Things would start to look up and got messy again.  I too am happy for Lou. I root for whatever team is playing the Rangers or Flyers, and now Toronto. I no longer hate them, but don't want them to succeed. I'm sure they feel same about us. 

I'm a hockey fan as well, and love seeing upsets. loving seeing Canes success this year,  and the Isles.  

I mean...yea...but fvck the Hurricanes. If it was another team I'd be happy for them shattering expectations but they're the Hurricanes. fvck the Hurricanes. fvck Erik Staal and fvck Niclas Walen and fvck Arturs Irbe too, wherever they are.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

How many "Status quo's did you count?

Many in so many different ways. I was always a Lou supporter even if I didn't agree with all of his decisions, but jeez Shero is such a breath of fresh air. 

Also on the subject of the Hurricanes, my anger from 2009 goes more to White, Zid, Marty, and terrible coaching (20 minutes for Madden and Pando in game 7??) than to the Hurricanes. I also remember Gio missing a golden opportunity to tie it back up. I'll never forget that game. I was in section 2 and it was one of the weirdest feelings at a game I've ever had. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

fvck Carolina, their fans are horrendous too. I was down there in 06 when they eliminated us. fvcking hope Washington beats them still. 

I hate them for their stupid post-win celebrations and trying to own that they’re a bunch of jerks. Fck them and their Tarzan noise arena.

• Like 1

There is only one team I will always and under any circumstances root against. You all know who I am talking about 😂 Once they are eliminated, which is usually rather early, I can follow the rest of the games pretty relaxed. As for the Islanders, I don't really like them, but since they got two german players on their roster, I hope these guys do well. Just like I hope Grubauer and Draisaitl do well. For example, it would be really great to see Grubauer backstop Colorado to a Stanley Cup. Wouldn't mind that at all. If the Islanders win, I would have no problem with that either. That does not mean that I will ever root for a Devil opponent.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I don't hate the islanders brand, like I don't see the logo and want to vomit, but it's a new york team. For that simple reason, I hate them, like all Devils fans should. We're from New Jersey.

Not all of us... 

6 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Eh I get what you're saying, but team geography should still affect your allegiance.  For instance, that's like if some soccer fan from NJ said "I'm a big Man U fan but I'm not from there, so I don't really mind Liverpool"

Yes but it's more artificial than anything cause as long as you're not really "living" the rivalry in your personal life, you're really just a sheep doing what you're told to do lol

Personally i know like... 3-4 Rangers fans? 0 Islanders fans... And they are not jerks at all lol i tried to rilled them up but they just don't bite. Habs fans on the other hand...... and Leafs fans are slowly becoming more and more annoying by the minute around here.

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yes but it's more artificial than anything cause as long as you're not really "living" the rivalry in your personal life, you're really just a sheep doing what you're told to do lol

Personally i know like... 3-4 Rangers fans? 0 Islanders fans... And they are not jerks at all lol i tried to rilled them up but they just don't bite. Habs fans on the other hand...... and Leafs fans are slowly becoming more and more annoying by the minute around here.

You don’t need to know obnoxious Ranger fans in order to dislike them. They are our prime competitors in every dimension of the game and market. Having that understanding and dislike isn’t location dependent.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

You don’t need to know obnoxious Ranger fans in order to dislike them. They are our prime competitors in every dimension of the game and market. Having that understanding and dislike isn’t location dependent.

I agree, I dislike thousands of obnoxious Rangers fans I don’t know!

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2019 at 10:04 AM, NJDevils1214 said:

I would say indifferent other than I am happy to see the Pens swept and Lehner is a great story. I don't know how you can't be happy for the guy turning his life around and it was such a "Lou" thing for Lamorello to give him the opportunity. 

He should win the Masterton.  May he continue to be strong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I don't hate the islanders brand, like I don't see the logo and want to vomit, but it's a new york team. For that simple reason, I hate them, like all Devils fans should. We're from New Jersey. 

Every other team I root for is from NY or named NY.  2 of them also wear blue and orange.

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Not all of us... 

I mean, that's the identity of the team and fan base. The franchise represents the state and the people from here. No one's suggesting anyone can't be a fan of whoever they want, but the culture and narrative doesn't change because a few of you are from out of state. You choose to support a Jersey team, so you choose to be a part of this story. Collectively, "we" are indeed from Jersey. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, vadvlfan said:

The difference in class between Devils fans and the slack-jawed horde of rats across the river is night and day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andy said:

Every other team I root for is from NY or named NY.  2 of them also wear blue and orange.

That's nice, but I don't quite understand your point. Are you telling me you're an Isles fan? Every other team I root for is in Philly, I still think Devils fans should cheer against Philly teams as a general rule. It's a rival city. You wanna support New York on your time, that's fine, but it's a rival city. 

1 minute ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's nice, but I don't quite understand your point. Are you telling me you're an Isles fan? Every other team I root for is in Philly, I still think Devils fans should cheer against Philly teams as a general rule. It's a rival city. You wanna support New York on your time, that's fine, but it's a rival city. 

I don’t understand. You should root for a baseball, football or basketball team based on what hockey team you like?? So what teams can a Devils fan like when no other teams are from New Jersey?

And what about the two football teams that play in New Jersey, but call themselves New York?

Not sure I buy into this “rival city” concept. 

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t understand. You should root for a baseball, football or basketball team based on what hockey team you like?? So what teams can a Devils fan like when no other teams are from New Jersey?

And what about the two football teams that play in New Jersey, but call themselves New York?

Not sure I buy into this “rival city” concept. 

You're asking the million dollar questions here. I think the final answer is four teams with Jersey written on the shirts. 

I have mixed feelings about the Islanders and their fans.

On one hand I sort of see them as hockey brethren in that they play in the shadow of a much bigger rival who has been around longer, has entire TV stations devoted to kissing their asses 24/7 and play in an arena that sits on top of one of the busiest transportation hubs in the US in possibly the most densely populated slice of land in the country.

On the other hand, once their team gets good, their fans start to become insufferable.  They become the literal People of Walmart who sit at home all day, with one hand down their pants and the other either smoking a blunt or interacting on social media crying about everything while watching a mix of Maury Povich and professional wrestling on TV.

• Like 1