Islanders Opinion Poll

RunninWithTheDevil

Islanders: Love? Hate? Indifferent?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Just as the title states. As a Devils fan, what is your opinion on the Islanders?

• Love
    • Hate
    • Indifferent
  2. 2. Would you ever/are you rooting for them in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't even been watching them
  3. 3. Last week on the Michael Kay Show, Don Lagreca brought this topic up and some people said that it makes you a fraud to root for another team in the playoffs. Does it?

• Yes
    • No
    • "It's complicated but...."

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

You're asking the million dollar questions here. I think the final answer is four teams with Jersey written on the shirts. 

19 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's nice, but I don't quite understand your point. Are you telling me you're an Isles fan? Every other team I root for is in Philly, I still think Devils fans should cheer against Philly teams as a general rule. It's a rival city. You wanna support New York on your time, that's fine, but it's a rival city. 

20 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

The difference in class between Devils fans and the slack-jawed horde of rats across the river is night and day. 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, thecoffeecake said:

I don't hate the islanders brand, like I don't see the logo and want to vomit, but it's a new york team. For that simple reason, I hate them, like all Devils fans should. We're from New Jersey. 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

You're asking the million dollar questions here. I think the final answer is four teams with Jersey written on the shirts. 

So, am I allowed to root for a baseball team? Or football or basketball? Or are you the only one who’s allowed to root for a “rival city”?

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So, am I allowed to root for a baseball team? Or football or basketball? Or are you the only one who’s allowed to root for a “rival city”?

Oh, it's just me, I thought that was clear. 

The Isles will be fresh, riding high going into the Boston series. They could be primed for a serious run. But since that came out of my mouth, there's a good chance Boston smokes them in 5.

28 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Oh, it's just me, I thought that was clear. 

The Isles will be fresh, riding high going into the Boston series. They could be primed for a serious run. But since that came out of my mouth, there's a good chance Boston smokes them in 5.

This is basically impossible. But not cause it came out of your mouth...

Simply cause the islanders are not playing the Bruins. They are playing whoever is coming out of the Caps/Canes series.

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Simply cause the islanders are not playing the Bruins. They are playing whoever is coming out of the Caps/Canes series.

Now that Toronto is out I would love to see NYI get stomped out by the Caps

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yep, realized I'm an idiot just this second and came on to admit it

On 4/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, thecoffeecake said:

That's nice, but I don't quite understand your point. Are you telling me you're an Isles fan? Every other team I root for is in Philly, I still think Devils fans should cheer against Philly teams as a general rule. It's a rival city. You wanna support New York on your time, that's fine, but it's a rival city. 

My point is that NY isn't a rival city for me in other sports.  There isn't a Jersey baseball or basketball team.  I'm a Mets fan & have become a Knicks fan & still remember my daughter when she was little cheering for the Islanders "lets go Mets colors, lets go!"    

On 4/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, andy said:

My point is that NY isn't a rival city for me in other sports.  There isn't a Jersey baseball or basketball team.  I'm a Mets fan & have become a Knicks fan & still remember my daughter when she was little cheering for the Islanders "lets go Mets colors, lets go!"    

That's fine, you get to do whatever you want. Buy a Barzal jersey and jump on the bandwagon. You have all the right in the world. But new york is a rival city to our team and our fan base at large. The only redeeming qualities of any new york fan base is that some of you guys (devils fans and jersey folks) join them sometimes. You guys are the exception. If jersey had 4 teams, new york would be a universally hated sports market. Ii'm not going to be more sympathetic to those animals because we happen to only have one. I know plenty of jersey fans that have new york teams they support, but hate all the others on principle because they're new york teams. I certainly don't know any that feel any special kinship to the new york sports scene because they are Mets or giants fans, like yiou seem to be expressing. But you get to feel however you want about anything. 

I don't understand how you guys sit shoulder to shoulder with rangers fans at Knicks and Mets games, quite honestly. But we're in a difficult position as people from Jersey. We have to do it. I know most of you feel the same way about philly, and I get it. I fully support everyone's hatred of philly teams. Some of you have taken the high road and said devils and out of market teams only, because fvck new york and philly. Hats off. 

The islanders can be a bit of an exception, because they're a LI team. I don't hold quite the same resentment for that reason, but it still says NY. On principle, I'll always want nothing but failure for NY teams. If I supported one or two, I'd still hate the rest. 

That's my poorly constructed take after losing 3 other drafts of this. You get to disagree and go to the isles parade if you want, no one's stopping anyone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's fine, you get to do whatever you want. Buy a Barzal jersey and jump on the bandwagon. You have all the right in the world. But new york is a rival city to our team and our fan base at large. The only redeeming qualities of any new york fan base is that some of you guys (devils fans and jersey folks) join them sometimes. You guys are the exception. If jersey had 4 teams, new york would be a universally hated sports market. Ii'm not going to be more sympathetic to those animals because we happen to only have one. I know plenty of jersey fans that have new york teams they support, but hate all the others on principle because they're new york teams. I certainly don't know any that feel any special kinship to the new york sports scene because they are Mets or giants fans, like yiou seem to be expressing. But you get to feel however you want about anything. 

I don't understand how you guys sit shoulder to shoulder with rangers fans at Knicks and Mets games, quite honestly. But we're in a difficult position as people from Jersey. We have to do it. I know most of you feel the same way about philly, and I get it. I fully support everyone's hatred of philly teams. Some of you have taken the high road and said devils and out of market teams only, because fvck new york and philly. Hats off. 

The islanders can be a bit of an exception, because they're a LI team. I don't hold quite the same resentment for that reason, but it still says NY. On principle, I'll always want nothing but failure for NY teams. If I supported one or two, I'd still hate the rest. 

That's my poorly constructed take after losing 3 other drafts of this. You get to disagree and go to the isles parade if you want, no one's stopping anyone. 

No one is going out to buy a Barzal jersey.  

Sometimes we even sit shoulder to shoulder with Rangers fans at family gatherings.  It's just too shocking. 

I'm from NJ.  NY is not a rival city to me, it's where a hockey team that I hate plays but it's where other teams that I root for are.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, andy said:

Lol.  I actually became a Devils fan because my cousin annoyed me so when I started following hockey I picked the Devils to go against her.

Consider yourself redeemed.

Plus you always treated Woody and Buzz with respect once you figured out they could coexist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Consider yourself redeemed.

Plus you always treated Woody and Buzz with respect once you figured out they could coexist. 

I'm always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Remember that time everyone believed he was the one who pushed Maggie out of the window and killed Eddie Caputo? They all called him crazy for blaming his Good Guy doll. Well guess what? He was right all along

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 11:23 PM, andy said:

No one is going out to buy a Barzal jersey.  

Sometimes we even sit shoulder to shoulder with Rangers fans at family gatherings.  It's just too shocking. 

I'm from NJ.  NY is not a rival city to me, it's where a hockey team that I hate plays but it's where other teams that I root for are.  

Fair take

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 9:31 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

No real issues with them.  I grew up on Long Island and my grandmother has lived in Uniondale for nearly 60 years, 5 minutes from the Coliseum.  She's a diehard fan to this day, and I'd be happy for her if they won one more time while she's still around to witness it.  I also have another good friend who's a big Islander fan who I'd be happy for as well.

Other than that, I don't go out of my way to root for them because they're one of our rivals.  I don't find their team, or fanbase, to be annoying though in any respect.  So for the most part, I'd say I'm indifferent to them.

Is she a fan of Jim's Deli?

47 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

Is she a fan of Jim's Deli?

She actually doesn't drive - 80 years old and never has lol - so she may not have ever been there, but next time I talk to her I'll ask.  I can't say I'm familiar with it myself, but I do know a few places around there.

43 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Would like to clarify that my answers are pending them not getting Panarin..

He's apparently not interested in Florida as many once believed.

I'm assuming you are quoting the interview that was posted on reddit.  He did a live feed from Miami, Bobrovsky was there but couldn't get on the video.  A fan asked him about playing in Florida and he said they have no fans in the stands.  This was also all translated from Russian because apparently he still doesn't speak English.  At the end he also jokingly said that Miami has a bad effect on Bob.

So technically he didn't say he wasn't interested.  He was just kind of pointing out the obvious.

https://old.reddit.com/r/FloridaPanthers/comments/bopcuv/when_asked_about_playing_in_florida_panarin/?st=jvp8r4hs&sh=bc32b83c

Edited by Crisis
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Would like to clarify that my answers are pending them not getting Panarin..

He's apparently not interested in Florida as many once believed.

Great. The Rags are getting Kakko and Panarin in one offseason. FML

• 2 weeks later...