2019 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

7 hours ago, '7' said:

Kind of odd because they got him for a very good price. 

There are other issues too. Lack of Mac getting a suitable center for Darnold. Lack of a true top #1 receiver.

It's odd cause what HEAD COACH has ever given a damn about money spent?  Clearly only one that wants all the power for himself and Chris Johnson basically let him pull an Al Haig.

Plus it's not like spending on Bell really is going to keep them from spending on anything else.  Heck they got left at the alter by Barr on another big-money deal.  

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Jets and Mets truly are the same franchise.  Forever finding ways to get in their own way, even when there's reasons to believe that things are finally headed in the right direction.  My sympathies to Has and '7'...I only root for one of these teams, and that alone can drive one to insanity.  I don't know how you two manage it, year-round. 

Yeah this would be like the Mets sh!t-canning Callaway then Riggleman getting Brodie canned by Jeff after the trade deadline....wait that isn't THAT out of the realm of possibility :P

Sadly like the Mets in that scenario, the Jets might actually be better off with Gase and Banner or whomever is the puppet GM compared to Bowles-Macc but really, a guy that's two games under .500 with zero success as a head coach and sketchy success as a coordinator now de facto gets to run the organization?!  Really, Chris?

Edited by NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's odd cause what HEAD COACH has ever given a damn about money spent?  Clearly only one that wants all the power for himself and Chris Johnson basically let him pull an Al Haig.

Plus it's not like spending on Bell really is going to keep them from spending on anything else.  Heck they got left at the alter by Barr on another big-money deal.  

Yeah this would be like the Mets sh!t-canning Callaway then Riggleman getting Brodie canned by Jeff after the trade deadline....wait that isn't THAT out of the realm of possibility :P

Sadly like the Mets in that scenario, the Jets might actually be better off with Gase and Banner or whomever is the puppet GM compared to Bowles-Macc but really, a guy that's two games under .500 with zero success as a head coach and sketchy success as a coordinator now de facto gets to run the organization?!  Really, Chris?

I think this move has many asking the same question:  who the fvck is Gase, and why is he suddenly qualified to wear TWO hats?!  

I think BVW is relatively safe mostly because Jeffy gets to meddle to his heart’s content as long as BVW is the GM.  

As much as I want to see the Jets fail, I honestly don’t think this matters that much in the grand scheme of thing.  The roster isn’t going to change that much at this point, if at all, and the guys that Gase supposedly didn’t want aren’t going anywhere.

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

As much as I want to see the Jets fail, I honestly don’t think this matters that much in the grand scheme of thing.  The roster isn’t going to change that much at this point, if at all, and the guys that Gase supposedly didn’t want aren’t going anywhere.

But I think you may get your wish because there is already friction and uneasiness within the walls of 1 Jets Drive. Whatever Bell says on twitter, he has a massive ego and is unhappy and feels unwanted. Darnold must feel disillusioned and frustrated with the situation. 

Can Gase stabilize things sufficiently there for this season? I have my doubts. Belichick ego with middling results.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And speaking of Al Haig Gase, oh boy he couldn't wait till the body was cold before making a firesale trade

This is probably what his happy face tweet was about yesterday. Glad to be headed out of town. Probably just found out.

Failure and a reach of a pick. This move was a middle finger at Mac too showing decisiveness. Though a 6th rounder is a paltry return. Almost knee jerk. If that's all you can get for him might as well hold him longer either for depth...or when guys start going down in camp and preseason. That 6th would turn into a 4 or 5.

• Like 1

I wouldn't put much past Al Haig Gase but trading Bell for some 3rd round pick isn't going to solve diddly squat.  Either you get real value back or what's the point, especially since you have to eat the cap/bonuses on the first year anyway.

And the Peyton thing is laughable but hey Peyton already hired Gase so might as well go with the full monty of ridiculousness and make him the full-time GM.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, '7' said:

It took an immense full court press but the Jets got their man in Joe Douglas. 

And Douglas definitely played it well knowing how desperate the Jets were. Six year deal at over $3,000,000 per year. And full roster control.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26922846/jets-hire-douglas-eagles-their-new-gm

Hah I was wondering why a supposedly inevitable pick was taking so long, thought it was for show but yeah that's seemingly a helluva deal for a GM (especially a first-timer) although honestly I wouldn't know what GM's make for the most part.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Hah I was wondering why a supposedly inevitable pick was taking so long, thought it was for show but yeah that's seemingly a helluva deal for a GM (especially a first-timer) although honestly I wouldn't know what GM's make for the most part.

I think 3 million is around the top end, though a few probably make a bit more. GM contract details and when they get extensions is not always made public either

22 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

A rising tide raises all boats. 31 other GM’s love that contract too.

Yea that is true. And the next young hotshot up and coming GM is going to use this as a benchmark. Damn right they all love it.

It's the Jets so worst case scenarios do manifest...can you imagine Douglas flaming out in 3 years and we'll be on the hook for 9 million more for a front office guy who's not even with us anymore. That's the nightmare somebody will run into (hopefully not us)

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Yea that is true. And the next young hotshot up and coming GM is going to use this as a benchmark. Damn right they all love it.

It's the Jets so worst case scenarios do manifest...can you imagine Douglas flaming out in 3 years and we'll be on the hook for 9 million more for a front office guy who's not even with us anymore. That's the nightmare somebody will run into (hopefully not us)

At least it doesn’t count against the cap lol.

• 1 month later...

Walt Michaels passes away at 89

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27169401/ex-jets-head-coach-nfl-lb-michaels-dies-89

Those Jet teams were a little before my time but Michaels' controversial 'retirement' after 1982 is probably the biggest what-if in Jet history.  Kind of shameful he more or less got blackballed out of the NFL but it was definitely a different time and different sensibilities, especially with Leon Hess :P

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Walt Michaels passes away at 89

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27169401/ex-jets-head-coach-nfl-lb-michaels-dies-89

Those Jet teams were a little before my time but Michaels' controversial 'retirement' after 1982 is probably the biggest what-if in Jet history.  Kind of shameful he more or less got blackballed out of the NFL but it was definitely a different time and different sensibilities, especially with Leon Hess :P

Michaels was a legitimately good coach who just sort of burned out it seems. But there was a lot of strangeness to that story. A lot of terrible coaches came and went for jobs that could've/should've been Michaels. Also I remember hearing that they interviewed Bill Walsh before Michaels which is a lesser oh the pain moment. Green Bay also had Walsh in but let him go.

The mud bowl was a screwjob however Miami beat us twice that year. Give 'em a clean field and the results may have very well been the same

Michaels did a nice job cleaning up the 1970s Jets mess. That team amassed enough talent (and high end playmaking talent) that they really should've had at least one Super Bowl appearance between 1981 and 1988. The Cleveland Browns are in the same boat during that time period

Edited by '7'

On 7/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, '7' said:

Michaels was a legitimately good coach who just sort of burned out it seems. But there was a lot of strangeness to that story. A lot of terrible coaches came and went for jobs that could've/should've been Michaels. Also I remember hearing that they interviewed Bill Walsh before Michaels which is a lesser oh the pain moment. Green Bay also had Walsh in but let him go.

The mud bowl was a screwjob however Miami beat us twice that year. Give 'em a clean field and the results may have very well been the same

Michaels did a nice job cleaning up the 1970s Jets mess. That team amassed enough talent (and high end playmaking talent) that they really should've had at least one Super Bowl appearance between 1981 and 1988. The Cleveland Browns are in the same boat during that time period

Michaels was my favorite jets coach.. hard nosed and eccentric.. foolish move by Leon to bet on walton.. great OC but destroyed what Michaels was building..Walton trended down each year peter principal   just typical jets luck, rip screw  don shula and his cheating mud bowl to neutralice McNeil 

20 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Michaels was my favorite jets coach.. hard nosed and eccentric.. foolish move by Leon to bet on walton.. great OC but destroyed what Michaels was building..Walton trended down each year peter principal   just typical jets luck, rip screw  don shula and his cheating mud bowl to neutralice McNeil 

There was a lot of foolish moves by Hess over the years. One of which was personally putting the kibosh on the drafting of Sapp. The Jets management as inept as they were were not passing up on Sapp. Hess said no

It is a somewhat inconvenient truth to us Jets fans though that even on a clean field, or tarped field...Miami beat us twice that year. Maybe McNeil torches them, or maybe they just beat us again like they did before

On 7/14/2019 at 1:14 PM, '7' said:

There was a lot of foolish moves by Hess over the years. One of which was personally putting the kibosh on the drafting of Sapp. The Jets management as inept as they were were not passing up on Sapp. Hess said no

It is a somewhat inconvenient truth to us Jets fans though that even on a clean field, or tarped field...Miami beat us twice that year. Maybe McNeil torches them, or maybe they just beat us again like they did before

No doubt with the overrated Richard todd we could easily have lost in miami, but it was still a classless bellicheck move by shula..

5 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

No doubt with the overrated Richard todd we could easily have lost in miami, but it was still a classless bellicheck move by shula..

Jets stuck with Todd way longer than they should have wishing and hoping he'd turn the corner. He was alot like Sanchez really, only Todd was probably less equipped to handle NY than even Sanchez. But the Jets should've moved on from Todd by 1980 or so