2019 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27302938/pro-bowl-center-ryan-kalil-unretires-join-jets

Absolutely love this move. Mac not being aggressive enough (really he should've been desperate after Wesley Johnson and Spencer Longs back to back nightmare years) in finding a center was unforgivable. While there was no Mawae out there we had to come away with a Morse or Paradis with the money we had to spend. Instead we were going to try and patch it together with Jonotthan Harrison. Ok backup...not a starter and not someone you want to have your young QB working with. Kalil isn't what he used to be but at worst he'll be average. And that will be a major upgrade over what we've had. Great job by Joe Douglas.

Jets 2nd team secondary is hot garbage. We will not be able to withstand any sort of secondary injury bug.

Chandler Catanzaro needs to be gone immediately. He's sucked in camp, he just missed his 2nd XP. Competition will be brought in immediately (Matt Bryant anyone?)

Loved Darnold on the 1st drive. 1st throw wasn't a great one, but it was also a great read by a good player. But usually those aren't INT's in the regular season. They get dropped as they were here. After that he was awesome

Any opinion on the Jets’ new unis (now that we’re seeing them in game action)?  I still like the old ones better, but these look pretty good.  Love the shade of green on the helmets...wish they had the 80s Jet logo on it though.  

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Any opinion on the Jets’ new unis (now that we’re seeing them in game action)?  I still like the old ones better, but these look pretty good.  Love the shade of green on the helmets...wish they had the 80s Jet logo on it though.  

I still think they'll go back to it full time eventually. With the NFL's one helmet uni rule, they will definitely bring back the 80's or 90's uni's as throwbacks now, probably next year (just swap out the decals) 

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They look like arena league uniforms. The classic look they went back to in ‘98 was sharp. They shouldn’t have changed anything.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

lol it's the old quit before you get fired routine.

Pretty much. They brought in Taylor Bertolet who's been NFL camp fodder since 2016 and never stuck anywhere. Guess we'll see where that goes. Still I'd wish they'd just sign Matt Bryant and be done with it. The Jets will be playing a lot of close games this year and having a terrible kicker could swing the pendulum the wrong way for them

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, '7' said:

Pretty much. They brought in Taylor Bertolet who's been NFL camp fodder since 2016 and never stuck anywhere. Guess we'll see where that goes. Still I'd wish they'd just sign Matt Bryant and be done with it. The Jets will be playing a lot of close games this year and having a terrible kicker could swing the pendulum the wrong way for them

Yeah we’ll see how Douglas handles the special teams in the long run. The no-doubt worst thing Mac did all offseason was not bring back either Myers or Roberts, especially considering our cap space to burn. Granted kickers and returners are a bit fungible at times but why mess with something that clearly worked?

49 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I haven't seen much of the preseason game tonight but two missed XP's, really?  Guess another kicker's 'retiring' soon :P

Bertolet just squeezed through a 49 yard field goal but he's toast as well. Not an NFL kicker. Wasn't even a good college kicker. They're going to have to get creative here otherwise K is going to become a black hole and cost us games. Get Dan Bailey, get Matt Bryant. Can't mess around with this anymore

1st team offense looked great. Darnold made some nice throws and led them to a touchdown drive. Saw some real nice things out of Ty Montgomery as well

Secondary was pretty much trash as you'd expect but the Jets generated a ton of pressure all day. Totally collapsed the pocket. That was good to see at least. When the Falcons 1st team offense was in the game Matt Ryan was constantly on the run.

Bilal Powell also looked good when given the opportunity. Great to see him back and looking like his old self following that neck injury. 

This probably spells the end for Elijah McGuire who unlike Cannon cannot play special teams. Barring an injury McGuire is probably getting cut.

Edited by '7'

I don’t like overpaying kickers but really, it’s not like we could even give away all our money/cap space this offseason. Same reason I didn’t care about paying for Bell, might as well spend to the moon now while we have a QB on a rookie deal.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And Myers wasn't anything special the few years before. He has a great year...didn't mean he was going to be great in 2019. 2018 may have been an anomaly. It made sense getting Catanzaro. He finishes strong last year. The other guys out there...Will Lutz got a 5 year contract. Fiarbairn a 2nd round tender

Welp Gregg Williams really is gonna have to wave a magic wand with this D now...first the corners go down, now Avery.  They do have some talented players left with the d-line, safeties and Moseley but still...and I liked the spots with Avery on the morning show, Joe and Evan are probably in mourning they'll need a new guest for this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp Gregg Williams really is gonna have to wave a magic wand with this D now...first the corners go down, now Avery.  They do have some talented players left with the d-line, safeties and Moseley but still...and I liked the spots with Avery on the morning show, Joe and Evan are probably in mourning they'll need a new guest for this year.

Well I think with Trumaine Johnson we still have some time before the regular season but hamstrings are always tricky

What to take solace in is that while Williams was a good coverage linebacker, it seems Blake Cashman is one too. But if I were the Jets I'd be trying to make a trade right now and be very very aggressive on cutdown day.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, '7' said:

Well I think with Trumaine Johnson we still have some time before the regular season but hamstrings are always tricky

What to take solace in is that while Williams was a good coverage linebacker, it seems Blake Cashman is one too. But if I were the Jets I'd be trying to make a trade right now and be very very aggressive on cutdown day.

The Fins may cut Kiko Alonso.... I could see that being a fit for you guys. Gase knows him.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Fins may cut Kiko Alonso.... I could see that being a fit for you guys. Gase knows him.

You're right about Alonso. Also I could see Sean Lee in Dallas being another cut. Who knows what he has left at this point the guys entire career he's been hurt

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Depth trade I suppose

And we need it. Good news is it looks like Trumaine Johnson will be ready for week 1. Hairston has at least been a starter during his career, though I doubt he's been any good. Otherwise he wouldn't be available so cheaply😝. Still I like how quickly and aggressively Douglas moves when it comes to identifying and attempting to fill roster holes. To compare Mac was too indecisive and gun-shy. Nor did he have a good understanding of what areas needed to prioritized in terms of roster management.

• Like 1

Tuned into this game just in time to see Davis Webb throw a Sanchezian pick. Other than that it seems like he played ok. Still getting cut

Pre season 4th game needs to be done away this. There is no reason for this game to exist. I certainly didn't need today to know Taylor Bertolet wasn't the answer at kicker.

Edited by '7'

• 2 weeks later...