2019 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

And there it is.  Just as frigging typical as a Met bullpen meltdown is the Jet collapse, and half the time that usually happens against the Bills.  Jets-Bills is like Mets-Braves.  Only 1% of teams manage to lose home games when +4 in the turnover battle...way to go guys.

McDermott punked Gase today.  Every frigging big play he calls a defensive timeout and every time they stop it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

For the Jets to lose this game with the advantage they had in the turnover battle is so unbelievably unreal and devastating....it can only happen to us. No other team no other franchise in any other sport except the Mets and Jets are taking L's with these circumstances. This is unbelievable and should be impossible

It feels like the season and Gase era is already over. They're not recovering from this. Look at the rest of the Jets schedule. They'e 0-7 already. They are just shellshocked and emotionally defeated. This is such a bizarre and devastating blow (and Bowles like) that they're totally cooked. You cannot fall apart like this to Buffalo. YOU JUST CANNOT.

Even with Mosley going out you have to muster up enough to stop Josh Allen

Well I'm not exactly full of confidence with Gase either.  The offense looked utterly predictable and they defaulted into same old Jets in record time.  Only thing I'll say is every other Jet coach has made the playoffs or gone 9-7, 10-6 in their first year.  Maybe a disasterous first year will be better in the long run lol

If it was a different situation I'd say he could be a one and done coach though, since this GM didn't actually hire him.  But this isn't a Mickey Callaway comparison since our wonderful owner basically let Gase pick the GM.  This schedule after next week though oof...next week is basically an elimination game for whoever loses, given the pressure that'll be on whoever goes to 0-2.  I loathe that it's a Monday night fiasco in the making.  Bad enough we revived the Browns last year, we'll probably wind up doing the same this year after they laid an egg this week at home.

I still have faith in the GM. I think he's a very smart guy with a good football pedigree. Almost all of this mess is Macs. Yesterdays loss again was due to Macs mistakes. If we have a kicker we win or at worst go to OT 17-17

Have an odd feeling they'll coax Catanzaro out of retirement. Douglas has done it with Kalil and I think he's probably burning up the phone lines now. Bertolet would be the fallback

I've seen this game often...but this was absolutely extra devastating. Just when it happened, all that it sours. They cannot and will not recover. They don't have the guts or personnel to do so. They don't have the leadership. 

Browns, Patriots, Eagles, Cowboys, Patriots

The Jets are 0-6

Look at the Browns and that debacle. They are going to come out angry and smoke us in our own building. We have NOTHING personnel wise to stop their receivers. Absolutely nothing. 37-13 loss is what's destined. Even if Mosleys back it won't make a lick of difference Clevelands offense will cut through us like a hot knife through butter

After what happened to Foles that will probably be our first win

Edited by '7'

Also Darnold is getting some grief...this is absurd. He played fine. This is a guy who is 22 and not even played a full season yet. What was yesterday his 14th start? He didn't turn the ball over once. He did enough to win if we had a kicker. He was playing at best THE BEST defense in the league, at worst top 5. This was a tough chore and he performed admirably

Edited by '7'

Well it’s too early to go the he’s a bust route and he didn’t turn the ball over but man if he can’t put those deep throws to Robby on the money in September with no weather, how’s he gonna do it later on?  Even Chad got the ball there deep albeit on a Jeff Blake type slow loop.

I don’t know whether to blame him or the line on all those batted passes at the line of scrimmage, must have been at least 3-4 of them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

57 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well it’s too early to go the he’s a bust route and he didn’t turn the ball over but man if he can’t put those deep throws to Robby on the money in September with no weather, how’s he gonna do it later on?  Even Chad got the ball there deep albeit on a Jeff Blake type slow loop.

I don’t know whether to blame him or the line on all those batted passes at the line of scrimmage, must have been at least 3-4 of them.

Yea. That was a point of worriment. Got to drop at least one of those in. But I've seen him do it in start 1 and a few times last season. Hopefully we can just rule this out as anomalous.

Also...and I hate with these excuses...he's working without any sort of viable TE with Herndon suspended. That has an impact

Not sure regarding the batted passes either. Good just be good defensive play, the pocket collapsing. Don't really know, but Darnold takes some of the blame

Edited by '7'

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Jets are embarrassingly holding a kicking tryout on Tuesday.

it's come to this

They should have done that to start with rather than constantly anointing one crappy guy without any real competition. At least with a competition you’d figure the guy that wins at least has some stomach.

23 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They should have done that to start with rather than constantly anointing one crappy guy without any real competition. At least with a competition you’d figure the guy that wins at least has some stomach.

What's strange is that they'd always bring in competition for Folk. Catanzaro's sudden retirement threw them for a loop (also how terrible he was just off the bat) whoever they brought in I think they just decided to roll the dice and get him as many reps as possible

Vedvik is absolute trash. I never want to see him in a Jets uniform. No clue why they jumped at him after Minnesota dumped him after TRADING for him somehow. And how he was selected over Parkey, who despite the double doink has been to a pro bowl

Edited by '7'

28 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Parkey probably should get a shot but that’s the kind of miss that spirals guys toward the end of their careers - just ask Blair Walsh.

Yea the psychological impact of that and just being a national news laughingstock...it takes a lot of mental toughness to recover from a gaffe like that and succeed on your next big kick

Jets have signed Sam Ficken (who nearly won the job from Mason Crosby). Not sure why they even bothered with the horrific Vedvik especially after he was cut by Minnesota after missing a bunch of pre season kicks in a row. He promptly comes here and...keeps missing

Ficken has at least attempted NFL kicks before. 2/3 last year with the Rams and 4/5 on XP's. And he was good his final year at Penn State

And in another totally out of left field bizarre move (obviously they don't need him with their depth) Demaryius Thomas traded from New England to the Jets for a 6th.

Obviously not what he used to be but still he's a big physical receiver who caught 59 passes in 15 games last season. He can probably still be productive if given the chance

Jets have pretty good receiver depth now too. Anderson-Crowder-Enunwa-Thomas and then Herndon when he returns. Thing is they're all pretty good. None great. Plus Bell lining up wide. 

Edited by '7'

This was just so odd when I heard about it, especially with us playing them relatively soon both times - either Bill thinks DT is finished or thinks it won't matter cause we're such a dumpster fire anyway.  Apparently it was Bill's first-ever trade with the Jets too.  Good thing this happened before the Brown nonsense dropped I suppose lolz

I'm not even sure entirely what we need with Thomas unless it's just for size...we have enough possession guys otherwise.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And of course Enunwa is out for the season with yet another neck injury. so this is probably where the Thomas stuff came from as the Jets were anticipating terrible news

Jets may look into getting another receiver. Or this may be the chance for someone like Berrios or Greg Dortch. They may also consider bringing back Deontay Burnett who has natural chemistry with Darnold from the USC days

Edited by '7'

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL now the Jets have taken over from the Mets with random OMGZ illnesses and injuries, Darnold is out probably a month plus with mono oy vey. And Bell also missed practice with a shoulder issue. 0-6 here we go!

Yikes...I had mono as a 17/18-year-old.  I was quite skinny back then (about 155 lbs or so when healthy, at 6' 1")...I didn't realize that something was wrong right away, and I felt generally OK, but had no appetite...one day I had a splitting headache unlike any I had ever had before, and had my brother drive me to the doctor's office...they did some tests and they confirmed that I did indeed have mono...and even worse, that I was down to 139 lbs or so (for comparison, I'm now a very-in-shape 212).  My case was actually relatively mild...I was tired a lot, but I've seen much worse cases.  It was the one and only time in my life that a doctor said "Eat whatever you want, as much as you want."  I would kill to hear that again. 

Probably took a solid 10 weeks beyond that before I fully recovered (just before I went to college).  By fall I was back into the 150s, and didn't feel so weak and exhausted. 

And yeah starting to look like this Jets season might be over before it even begins...the Mets and Jets have cornered the market on the worst of bizarre sh!t constantly happening to THEM.  But too early to be too definitive about a "Maybe in 2020" stance. 

The Gase era may be cursed and doomed to failure. Well the entire franchise is. I have no clue how I was even able to get optimistic with this new regime and Darnold...none of this is surprising in the least bit. Bad things just continue to rain down on them in bizarre fashion

He won't play this week or the next weeks slaughter in New England. Then there is a bye week. He probably returns there when they're 0-3

And Bell has an MRI on his shoulder, so waiting for the awful news on that.

This is going to be a very painful season. If we didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all.

Wondering if Darnold was perhaps effected by it vs Buffalo at all.

Edited by '7'

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

The Gase era may be cursed and doomed to failure. Well the entire franchise is. I have no clue how I was even able to get optimistic with this new regime and Darnold...none of this is surprising in the least bit. Bad things just continue to rain down on them in bizarre fashion

He won't play this week or the next weeks slaughter in New England. Then there is a bye week. He probably returns there when they're 0-3

And like CR pointed out the post bye timeline for his return might be optimistic at best although with a pro athlete who knows.