2019 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And like CR pointed out the post bye timeline for his return might be optimistic at best although with a pro athlete who knows.

It's hard to say Has.  Because my case was mild, I was actually still able to work that summer, without missing a day (1988)...but I was definitely tired a lot, and simply didn't have much of an appetite (not that eating made me feel sick, I was just oddly very rarely hungry, and would "feel" full even if I didn't have much to eat in any particular sitting)...hence, the weight loss off an already very thin frame to begin with.  I see pictures of myself back then, and I look...well, like you'd expect someone over 6' and under 140 lbs to look.  I had to re--expand my stomach wall, before I could eat a proper meal again...that took a few weeks. 

Hopefully he'll be able to keep his muscle mass and weight as stable as possible, but unfortunately it does seem like weight loss is often a part of the equation (in people that I know who've had it, anyway).  That and the general fatigue. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This is my first post here only because I heard the Darnold news.

I had mono as well when I was in college.  I had it pretty bad and was on steroids to keep the swelling of my lymph nodes in my neck down (they blew up like balloons).  I was in bed for nearly 5 weeks straight and lost approx. 30-35 pounds on an ice cream and Jell-O diet.  Had to drop an entire semester in college (thankfully I was diagnosed in the very first week and was able to get a full refund) as well.  I wasn't really well enough to do any school work or part time work for about 8 weeks overall.  Not only that, but for the next 1-1.5 years following I would have re-occurances of it that would range from mild to me being out almost a week.  Needless to say, I had it bad.

On the flip side, a few years later my buddy had it and only missed about a week.  He had less appetite but was able to function through most of it and was completely symptom-free about 3 weeks after he was diagnosed.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

If I were a Jets fan, I'd be very nervous that the Gase you saw in Miami is what you're getting now.  Lots of bubble screens and short passes but without the rhythm you need to make them work. 

Was underwhelmed in him his first game. At least his clock management made sense though. But yes nothing much in terms off aggressive, creative playcalling. Granted the Bills defense is really REALLY good. But there was nothing there that makes you believe an offensive mastermind is lurking somewhere in there.

Edited by '7'

41 minutes ago, '7' said:

Was underwhelmed in him his first game. At least his clock management made sense though. But yes nothing much in terms off aggressive, creative playcalling. Granted the Bills defense is really REALLY good. But there was nothing there that makes you believe an offensive mastermind is lurking somewhere in there.

I thought there was a chance that he would do things differently with a QB he had a chance to make in his own image.  

Interestingly though, my friend who’s an NFL play by play guy told me that Gase gives off an extremely alpha vibe when you’re in a room with him.  That’s probably how he managed to impress Ross and Christopher Johnson. 

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I thought there was a chance that he would do things differently with a QB he had a chance to make in his own image.  

Interestingly though, my friend who’s an NFL play by play guy told me that Gase gives off an extremely alpha vibe when you’re in a room with him.  That’s probably how he managed to impress Ross and Christopher Johnson. 

Yea I can see that definitely. Though I'm not sure that's the way he actually is, he knows how to play the part and that sort of attitude at head coach can be incredibly intoxicating to owners. To exude confidence, fearlessness etc. The lack of a successful NFL pedigree and just being too overwhelmingly psycho on top of the alpha routine are going to leave a lot of guys rolling their eyes and checking out especially if he doesn't know when to temper it. Most of them are alpha's too...that's why they are where they are. 

I really don't know if Gase understands how to be a true leader of men, and that he really has his finger on the pulse of the team

Things are going to get bad here this season. 0-6 or 0-7 bad. Let's see how Gase reacts when faced with something like that

The Jets offense has totally fallen apart. Now down to Luke Falk. No Herndon, no Enunwa, no Darnold. Just chaos and confusion and no chemistry anywhere. Really an embarrassment

The defense has done absolutely all it can despite being hosed with penalties. To me this is a very gutsy defensive performance so far and an offensive abomination

On 3rd and 2 with the Jets actually moving Gase calls 2 idiotic plays, killing any chance the Jets had and ending the game. I do not know why on 3rd and 2 deep in Browns territory that they just don't give it to Bell twice. How long could the D hold out?

Browns up by 20 and throwing the ball with 3 minutes to go is absolute bush league. I mean come on already. Browns offense was pretty much kept in check all day too. If the Jets had any semblance of an offense they could've won this game. Mayfield was not good at all.

Seems like we would have been better off watching the Devils preseason game lol...this one was over when they let Odell run riot which you knew he was gonna do.  Gregg Williams so far has been all hat and no cattle.  The D didn't have much of a chance today but they could at least have gotten themselves off the field, it's not like they were making stops either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Siemian done for the year (ligament damage to his ankle)...no shock there, considering how ugly that hit was, though it's kind of a miracle that he didn't actually break something. 

Curious if it will be Falk this Sunday, or if the Jets try to bring in someone else. 

Pats will probably win in another landslide and many will make a big deal about their insane early season point differential, but no one is learning anything about the Pats from these three games.  It's when they play teams like KC that we'll know more. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Siemian done for the year (ligament damage to his ankle)...no shock there, considering how ugly that hit was, though it's kind of a miracle that he didn't actually break something. 

Curious if it will be Falk this Sunday, or if the Jets try to bring in someone else. 

Pats will probably win in another landslide and many will make a big deal about their insane early season point differential, but no one is learning anything about the Pats from these three games.  It's when they play teams like KC that we'll know more. 

I think they have to roll with Falk. I mean he has been with the team and played a lot in pre season. Bringing in someone from the outside would be too little time to get someone up to speed.

I almost think the only way we even have a chance on Sunday is if we do something absolutely crazy. Like a wildcat or option or just try to mix in as much weird gadget stuff as you can hoping you can break a few

Yeah, in the end Falk is probably their best option.  It would be too difficult to get someone else up to speed in such a short period of time, and even if they could, would the results be anything special, given who’s available?

And it’s not like Darnold won’t be back next  month.  

Jets sign David Fales (ouch on that last name) as additional QB depth.  Guy obviously won’t sniff the field unless Falk goes down.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jets sign David Fales (ouch on that last name) as additional QB depth.  Guy obviously won’t sniff the field unless Falk goes down.  

Yea this is just somebody who Gase is familiar with and may have been a pet project for him (kind of what I think Falk is). I think Gase is going to try and keep Falk and develop him into a legitimate backup

Jets are thinking Darnold back by the Philly game. That seems kind of ambitious, but it would be like them to rush him back.

Also a bit of a funny though, Darnold may actually be on the Jets sideline this Sunday. Knowing how Belichick obsesses over every detail, I wonder if he instructs his players to not go near him in postgame handshakes 😉 honestly though if I was coach it would cross my mind. It absolutely would

Edited by '7'

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea this is just somebody who Gase is familiar with and may have been a pet project for him (kind of what I think Falk is). I think Gase is going to try and keep Falk and develop him into a legitimate backup

Jets are thinking Darnold back by the Philly game. That seems kind of ambitious, but it would be like them to rush him back.

Also a bit of a funny though, Darnold may actually be on the Jets sideline this Sunday. Knowing how Belichick obsesses over every detail, I wonder if he instructs his players to not go near him in postgame handshakes 😉 honestly though if I was coach it would cross my mind. It absolutely would

Based on what we're hearing, it does sound like Darnold has one of the more milder cases (like mine was)...maybe he can return by the Philly game.  Hopefully the Jets won't use this week as any barometer for Falk, as far as the Philly game goes...he's coming into a brutal situation.  And yeah, I get the feeling Falk will be the homegrown backup for a while...though all it takes is one or two big games by him, and you can bet some QB-starved team will be knocking on the door asking about him.   

3rd and 15...Gase calls a draw

3rd and 9...Gase calls a WR screen a yard behind the line of scrimmage

Why even bother to show up for the games if you're just gonna give away possessions against the Pats?  Might as well forefit and have two straight bye weeks to get healthy and maybe teach this line how to ****ing pass protect.

Get the feeling Gase is going to be a serious short-timer with the Jets.  Just too much of a big dumb wanna-be alpha male.  Players like Bell are already calling out the coaching staff.  The Jets do have talent on their roster, but Gase doesn't seem like the right guy to lead them at all. 

18 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

3rd and 15...Gase calls a draw

3rd and 9...Gase calls a WR screen a yard behind the line of scrimmage

Why even bother to show up for the games if you're just gonna give away possessions against the Pats?  Might as well forefit and have two straight bye weeks to get healthy and maybe teach this line how to ****ing pass protect.

Yeah, what exactly were the Jets going for?  Trying not to lose too badly/minimize mistakes to a fault?  The Jets' D actually did play fairly well after it looked like the Pats might score 50+ early on.  Why not take some real chances? 

Gunner Olszewski and Jarrett Stidham likely worked their way up BB's sh!t list after their gaffes that led to the Jets' only scores, though in Olszewski's case, he was still out on the field after his fumble, which definitely doesn't always happen with BB...usually, that's an instant benching, and with a guy like Olszewski, a Monday morning cut.  So sounds like he's been given one pardon.  I'd be surprised if Stidham sees the field again this season, unless Brady is hurt...even in games with big leads, BB hates unforced errors like what Stidham did. 

The game felt like a forfeit really. Jets didn't try. Didn't push the issue anywhere. It's almost like the whole team is shellshocked and afraid of getting hurt. They were really just out there going through the motions. Anyone see Leonard Williams? Total disappearing act all season

The line has been a lot worse than expected. They should be at worst average...I really don't get this. They shouldn't be this bad.

With Enunwa out, D Thomas out, still no Herndon...just hard to find anybody to throw to.

Gase absolutely seems in over his head. If this season goes off the rails at 2-14 or something I think he's gone

Edited by '7'

• 2 weeks later...

Darnold still not starting, and it was pretty crazy to even think he would be ready this early. Falk once again thrown to the wolves to get brutalized by the Eagles. Hopefully we can get more than 100 yards of total offense. Figure Darnold will play vs Dallas when we're 0-4.

What a waste of a season. Absolute cursed franchise.