Should Shero try and Trade up for Caufield?

CMONPETEYD

It's an interesting debate and one worth talking about.  Caufield and Hughes have played together forever and obviously have great chemistry.  Does Shero think about trading up if Cole is available from say 7 to 10.

I was thinking Vancouver could be interested in something like

D Ty Smith  

# 34

2nd in 2020

Does this get it done?  Should he even do it?  Is this price too much??  

An interesting debate/thought to have as we move forward.  I think Ty is gonna be great, but think about the potential of having Caufield and Hughes light up the NHL for years

Bratt - Hischier - Hall

Palmieri - Hughes - Caufield

This would be a great top 6 in a few years....

Interested in hearing everyones opinion!

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Your trade proposal is one of the more realistic ones I have seen, but with our defense being even more bare than our offense it would sting really bad to trade away Smith.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trading Smith is a non-starter. 

Yup. Nope. We need D like a Kardashian. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. Nope. We need D like a Kardashian. 

As far as D goes, pretty sure that the Kardashians would only be interested in PK Subban or Seth Jones...

And yeah, I think Devils gotta hang onto Ty Smith and see what he can do with the big club.  Seems like he's a good shot to make the team next year.

• Like 2

I'd be okay with him BUT while the new NHL is fast and smaller players can still do really well... i still think size is important as we're seeing in the playoffs right now...

Being small is okay you can get around like Kane and other guys are... but being a full line of small players is not as great and our top 6 is already pretty small, especially with nico and hughes in the middle. If we had a huge center to balance i'd be up for him but i still think we need to add some size at some point.

The other thing to think about, is we also thought we had the next All Star D Group with the likes of 

Jon Merrill

Damon Severson

Eric Gelinas

Steve Santini

Adam Larsson (Supposed to be great, settled in as a steady SAH D)

We got one nice Dman out of that group, and he still needs to improve his DEFENSE.

I'm not saying that Smith won't be great, but it may be worth it in this case given the chemistry and history of those 2!  Also the kids are 17 and 18 years old, some are still growing!

No.  Price would be too high, and we don't need him that badly.  Wingers that Hughes can play with include Hall, Palmieri, Bratt and maybe you include Zacha.  All of them can score goals and there's no guarantee that Caufield turns into a better NHLer than any of them.  In fact, it would likely less to trade for Phil Kessel than to trade into the top 10.

The assets needed to trade for Caufield would be much better spent trading for an impact defenseman like Trouba or Subban. 

While I agree with you ... maybe....  Caufield is scoring at a rate never seen before for the USNDP.  You can ask yourself if he is a product of Hughes, or if Caufield really is gonna be the next and maybe better than Alex DeBrincat.

The closest thing we have to a sniper is Kyle Palmieri and he is a 30 goal scorer...  35 maybe at most.

In Be a GM in NHL 19, sure.

But in reality, I think the cost would be too high and, like others have said, we'd be better off spending assets to buff up the defense.  Hughes fixed for the forward corps, but we need an upgrade on D desperately.

Also, yeah Caufield's a little small.. kinda worries me a bit.

I think Ray definitely has to consider it, but the team desperately needs their defense prospects. It would have to involve a forward. Bratt is the only one of value that makes sense but I'd be very very hesitant to trade him considering what he's already doing at 20

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

While I agree with you ... maybe....  Caufield is scoring at a rate never seen before for the USNDP.  You can ask yourself if he is a product of Hughes, or if Caufield really is gonna be the next and maybe better than Alex DeBrincat.

The closest thing we have to a sniper is Kyle Palmieri and he is a 30 goal scorer...  35 maybe at most.

Could Palms score more if Hughes was his centre instead of Zacha or Zajac (and I do like both of those players btw)?

58 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Could Palms score more if Hughes was his centre instead of Zacha or Zajac (and I do like both of those players btw)?

Palms is just too streaky to ever really put up 40+ goals imo. 

As far as the OP question? Man it would be tempting. Those two have crazy chemistry together. I wouldn’t trade Ty Smith though. Smith, Nico, and Hall (if he re-signs) are pretty much untouchable unless the offer is ridiculous. Don’t really want to lose Bratt either. 

I’d say add Hughes, sign another top 6 UFA if possible, and then concentrate on fixing the defense. 

Playmakers make goal scorers.  The Devils could certainly use shoot-first wingers, but with Hughes and Hischier as centers for at least the next 7 years, they shouldn't be paying a premium for them - Hughes and Hischier will make decent players into big goal scorers.    Shero knows this better than anyone, so I'm not concerned.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Ty Smith can not and should not be traded for anything other than a premier defenseman or defensive prospect.

If I’m allowed to play GM mode, I see how warm Vancouver is to the idea of trading Ty Smith and a lottery protected 1st round pick for Quinn Hughes. 

I actually don’t hate that. I certainly don’t want another Niedermayer situation down the road...

3 hours ago, CMONPETEYD said:

I mean you can watch some highlights and he's just snipping the puck in from everywhere. So someone could make a case that Hughes production is also a product of Caufield and that most of his passes wouldnt end up in the back of the net if it was someone else.

I just don't always buy those "product of" arguments most of the time. Players compliment themselves it's more about the chemistry than anything else.

We reunited henrique and hall from their glory junior days too and they didn't really set the nhl on fire too

I like Caufield but i wouldn't think of trading a D prospect to get him. Yes I've seen our highly rated D prospects turn out to be not really highly rated after all.  I've also seen the Russian coach cut down the cross ice passes between Hughes and Caufield on the big ice surface.  Imagine what an NHL coaching staff could do on a smaller NHL ice,  Yes Shero should look into it.  However  I think he'll find the price too steep. And as i stated above, right now I would hesitate to trade a D prospect to get him.

• Like 2

After Hughes, I think we should replenish D. Hoping Ray uses pick or two to get an additional decent D-man. Ty Smith will be  be a studmeister D man. 

I think trying too hard to pair up players that played together before being drafted is overrated.  Remember how Adam Henrique and Taylor Hall were going to tear the world a new a$$hole because of their playing days in Windsor?    Sure, it would be worth a shot if Caufield were available later in the draft but with him looking like a top 10 pick, we would have to give up way too many assets to get in a position to land him. 

IMO, the move is to draft Hughes, offer sheet a guy like Kasperi Kapanen to fill the void at RW, switch Zacha to a wing and let him and Bratt battle it out for the 2LW spot and then move on to fixing the defense.      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I think trying too hard to pair up players that played together before being drafted is overrated.  Remember how Adam Henrique and Taylor Hall were going to tear the world a new a$$hole because of their playing days in Windsor?    Sure, it would be worth a shot if Caufield were available later in the draft but with him looking like a top 10 pick, we would have to give up way too many assets to get in a position to land him. 

IMO, the move is to draft Hughes, offer sheet a guy like Kasperi Kapanen to fill the void at RW, switch Zacha to a wing and let him and Bratt battle it out for the 2LW spot and then move on to fixing the defense.      

Rather just try and sign Eberle. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Rather just try and sign Eberle. 

I know we have to give up assets in an offer sheet but I think going after the 22 year old makes more sense long term especially if we can do it where we're only giving up a 2nd round pick.  Not sure what Kapanen is looking for but I saw the Leafs offered A Johnsson  a few options in the 2.5 range and you can go up to 4 and change without giving up a first.