2019 IIHF World Championship

Nicomo

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

Well there was the time that LucifersDog sent me a photo of my wife that he had apparently saved from a post a few years back with the caption "this is the slut who only sleeps with you for your money".

Joke's on him (or her?), I'm flat broooooooke. 

That’s not cool. I guess that goes without saying. 

It shows marked ignorance, everyone knows once you marry them, they no longer need to sleep with you to get your money. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So do I.  I had forgotten that guy's name until now.  Pretty sure that wasn't too long after I had joined here.  Needless to say it had me wondering whether or not I wanted to stick around lol.  I'm glad I did (well, on most days anyway). :D

So THAT’s who we blame...

;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wow that's disappointing.

Jack's been one of the better players in his limited ice time, or so I thought.

Blashill has to make sure Luke Glendening gets enough ice, no room for a little twerp like Hughes. 🙄

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is surprising yet not surprising, if that makes any sense.

Surprising in that in the biggest game thus far involving an opponent that consists of all NHL players (which would've been good for his development), Jack is sitting (albeit for Gaudreau but still...).

Unsurprising 'cause it's Blashill.      sigh....

Edited by glenwo2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm fine with it.  Playing in more games at the Worlds won't make Hughes a better player than he's going to be and at least we know he's not going to get seriously injured.  If it makes a difference as to Shero, then he probably shouldn't have anything to do with the draft and it probably shows he's not qualified to clean out the deep fryer in one of the concession stands.

At most it's fodder for arguments with Kakko fanboys, which is something you're better off staying away from if you want to keep your sanity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I'm fine with it.  Playing in more games at the Worlds won't make Hughes a better player than he's going to be and at least we know he's not going to get seriously injured.  If it makes a difference as to Shero, then he probably shouldn't have anything to do with the draft and it probably shows he's not qualified to clean out the deep fryer in one of the concession stands.

At most it's fodder for arguments with Kakko fanboys, which is something you're better off staying away from if you want to keep your sanity.

Yeah I mean it’s not a big deal, but I would’ve liked to see him play anyway.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It won't make him a better player but it wouldn't hurt to have him experience a Playoff-type atmosphere in facing off against players he will no doubt encounter in the NHL.   

I think that would be good for his development but I'm not the Coach.   

That said, your second point is valid since the game could turn nasty so I can see why it's better Jack sit this one out.     But I doubt protecting Jack from injury was what Blashill had in mind.   

He just seems like he doesn't know what he is doing as a Head Coach.

Maybe Hynes should take over.....or not.   "The blind leading the Blind" comes to mind when I think that.  :rofl:

Edited by glenwo2

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

It won't make him a better player but it wouldn't hurt to have him experience a Playoff-type atmosphere in facing off against players he will no doubt encounter in the NHL.   

I think that would be good for his development but I'm not the Coach.   

That said, your second point is valid since the game could turn nasty so I can see why it's better Jack sit this one out.     But I doubt protecting Jack from injury was what Blashill had in mind.   

He just seems like he doesn't know what he is doing as a Head Coach.

Maybe Hynes should take over.....or not.   "The blind leading the Blind" comes to mind when I think that.  :rofl:

It makes no difference to his development, period.  He will not score one more or less goal in his NHL career because of not playing in this game.  He will not play better or worse in a single NHL game because of not playing in this game.  There is nothing about this tournament that teaches someone how to play in a big game.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I mean it’s not a big deal, but I would’ve liked to see him play anyway.

When you come down to it, he was pretty lucky to have been there at all.  I see whatever time he got there as a bonus...and even better, he got through it healthy.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

It makes no difference to his development, period.  He will not score one more or less goal in his NHL career because of not playing in this game.  He will not play better or worse in a single NHL game because of not playing in this game.  There is nothing about this tournament that teaches someone how to play in a big game.  

You're right but I was referring to him facing off against actual NHL Players from Canada which he'll encounter all the time in the NHL.     Why not get some real-time action against a team that has all NHL'ers on it?

And yes, I know other teams have NHL'ers on them but not the whole team like Canada does...at least I don't think those other teams do.  :unsure:

(why do I get the feeling this was yet another "emotional post" from me?  I'll never really fit in around here, apparently. lol )

16 hours ago, moustic said:

My advice there... Will be to follow SD's advice. He is well known to be a pacifier on Njdevs : ) 
But seriously listen to him ! 

And here we love passion and all that... But we are old grumpy dudes that don't wanna be disturbed as well ; ) 

And let me be SAD about my fvckin'team being ridiculous in front of the whole world (ok .. Whole world doesn't care about hockey but still ! ) 

lol. I can be many things... but that i don't think i am haha 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

You're right but I was referring to him facing off against actual NHL Players from Canada which he'll encounter all the time in the NHL.     Why not get some real-time action against a team that has all NHL'ers on it?

And yes, I know other teams have NHL'ers on them but not the whole team like Canada does...at least I don't think those other teams do.  :unsure:

(why do I get the feeling this was yet another "emotional post" from me?  I'll never really fit in around here, apparently. lol )

well it's 100% because the coach's job is to win a tournament here, not to develop Jack Hughes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well it's 100% because the coach's job is to win a tournament here, not to develop Jack Hughes

Yup. Nobody is looking at this tournament as a Jack Hughes showcase. He barely belongs on the team as a 17 (now 18) year old, so he’s the last man on the bench. That’s how it works. It’s not about seeing what Jack can or cannot do.

Obviously it’s natural for us as Devils fans to want an extended look because we’re holding the #1 pick, but that’s about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. Nobody is looking at this tournament as a Jack Hughes showcase. He barely belongs on the team as a 17 (now 18) year old, so he’s the last man on the bench. That’s how it works. It’s not about seeing what Jack can or cannot do.

Obviously it’s natural for us as Devils fans to want an extended look because we’re holding the #1 pick, but that’s about it. 

Yeah I would have liked to have seen him with extended time but it is what it is.  Oh well.

I’m just glad he didn’t look completely outmatched, and that he made it through healthy. 

I’m fairly sure Ray knew who he was picking the moment that card got turned around anyway. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

On 5/17/2019 at 11:29 AM, devlman said:

I’m not trying to come at you specifically but I don’t even understand where this line of thought comes in. He’s better now based on what exactly? Are you basing that off the world championship games? Because you can’t be basing that off the last two years of scouting. Because before this tournament no one would have said Kakko is better now. Put Hughes on Finland’s first line and have him play Denmark and then see what happens.

I guess I should have said the “more ready” nhl player? 

Kaako will make a bigger impact next year than Hughes will. That’s what I was going for. Hughes will be much more impactful down the road. 

1 hour ago, mikemarc1 said:

I guess I should have said the “more ready” nhl player? 

Kaako will make a bigger impact next year than Hughes will. That’s what I was going for. Hughes will be much more impactful down the road. 

That's really the bottom line.

While everyone in the NHL starts their "knee-jerk 2nd-guessing" of the Devils for picking Hughes when they see Kakko dominate, Devils will simply continue the rebuild while Hughes continues to grow as a player.  

Edited by glenwo2

Good period for Jack Hughes. Finding a lot of open ice and creating some chances. Was one of USA best players. 

Neither goal Cory gave up were softies but Vasilevskiy has been better. He’s the difference so far. 

• Like 1