2019 IIHF World Championship

Nicomo

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Well scouting service can only predict so much. We simply don't know yet how it's going to play out over the next decade. Not as if it's impossible that Kakko ends up being the best player. Or hell some random player from the draft.

In 2011 all the scouts had RNH first overall way ahead of the rest.

"Excellent vision and hockey IQ. Gretzky-esque playmaking abilities. The most complete player in the draft. Has the ability to make his linemates and teammates around him better. Can be in the NHL as soon as the 2011-12 NHL season. Only knock on him is his size (6'0") and weight (170). Needs to add atleast 20 pounds to reach his full potential. A future #1 Center in the NHL."

And Landeskog was projected somewhere between 2-4. Then you have guys like Kucherov and Gaudreau who were picked in the 2nd and 4th round and they are true superstars in the league now.

So let's not pretend like anything is set in stone, wtv gap there is between players when they are 18 years old can drastically change in the next few years. Some are blooming later than others and some are already close to their ceiling.

My god....it would be a massive level of disappointment if Hughes ends up being another RNH....hopefully he won't.

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well scouting service can only predict so much. We simply don't know yet how it's going to play out over the next decade. Not as if it's impossible that Kakko ends up being the best player. Or hell some random player from the draft.

In 2011 all the scouts had RNH first overall way ahead of the rest.

"Excellent vision and hockey IQ. Gretzky-esque playmaking abilities. The most complete player in the draft. Has the ability to make his linemates and teammates around him better. Can be in the NHL as soon as the 2011-12 NHL season. Only knock on him is his size (6'0") and weight (170). Needs to add atleast 20 pounds to reach his full potential. A future #1 Center in the NHL."

And Landeskog was projected somewhere between 2-4. Then you have guys like Kucherov and Gaudreau who were picked in the 2nd and 4th round and they are true superstars in the league now.

So let's not pretend like anything is set in stone, wtv gap there is between players when they are 18 years old can drastically change in the next few years. Some are blooming later than others and some are already close to their ceiling.

Well then you can theoretically say that about the Rangers sixth round pick over Hughes, too. To which my reply then is why are you worrying about what ranger fans say or think? Odds are very favorable that Hughes turns out elite. Who cares about the rest?

9 hours ago, devlman said:

Well then you can theoretically say that about the Rangers sixth round pick over Hughes, too. To which my reply then is why are you worrying about what ranger fans say or think? Odds are very favorable that Hughes turns out elite. Who cares about the rest?

I never said i was worried i said it would happen, thats it lol

Congrats to the Finns! This is pretty neat - congrats to Kaapo too (ETA: anyone's welcome to add some snark about this being the end of winning): 

@JokkeNevalainen   Unconfirmed but I believe Kaapo Kakko is the first person in the history of hockey to win U18 World Championship, U20 World Championship and men's World Championship before being eligible for the NHL Draft.

And now he gets to party:

@JulieRobenhymer   Kaapo Kakko was scheduled to leave tomorrow for the NHL Scouting Combine in Buffalo, but...he’s got a party to go to in Helsinki after Finland won #IIHFWorlds gold. He will head over later in the week.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1

I feel bad for Severson and Blackwood.  

Yeah they got Silver at least but would rather they got Gold instead.

Now we're going to have to deal with both Rags and Finnish fans (maybe not here but in other boards and on Social Media) bragging to Devils fans about their "GOLD MEDALIST SUPERSTAR" Kaapo Kakko.    🙄

Why couldn't Canada come out on Top to spare us this crap?   :rant:

Bah.  Whatever.    

Edited by glenwo2

6 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I feel bad for Severson and Blackwood.  

Yeah they got Silver at least but would rather they got Gold instead.

Now we're going to have to deal with both Rags and Finnish fans (maybe not here but in other boards and on Social Media) bragging to Devils fans about their "GOLD MEDALIST SUPERSTAR" Kaapo Kakko.    🙄

Why couldn't Canada come out on Top to spare us this crap?   :rant:

Bah.  Whatever.    

Simple answer, nobody should ever listen to Rangers fans, ever. 

• Haha 1

Kakko didn’t have a point in his last 7 games. Yes I know points aren’t everything but his fanboys were certainly getting down on Hughes when he wasn’t getting them. But whatever let them enjoy their players winning medals on the international stage. Hank won gold but still has zero Cups. I love my country and root them on in these tournaments but Cups are what matters most. Shero can help us get a lot closer to another one by solidifying a one-two punch down the middle when he takes Hughes. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Kakko didn’t have a point in his last 7 games. Yes I know points aren’t everything but his fanboys were certainly getting down on Hughes when he wasn’t getting them. But whatever let them enjoy their players winning medals on the international stage. Hank won gold but still has zero Cups. I love my country and root them on in these tournaments but Cups are what matters most. Shero can help us get a lot closer to another one by solidifying a one-two punch down the middle when he takes Hughes. 

I believe there's a Meme for that :

spacer.png

• Like 2

it`s beautiful and most deserved win for Finland. How awesome was looked on theirs plays and tactics desicions.

btw i hope we draft Jack. please, shero, don`t sit on gold medal hype train.  this medals exclusively for rangers superstars.

Edited by Guadana

On 5/25/2019 at 12:15 AM, SterioDesign said:

oh my man.

This will literally never end. Unless one of those 2 players sh!t the bed it's going to be debated for decades. And everyone will be biased depending on who they decided to pick from the get go. Nobody will change their minds about it lol Whoever was team Crosby or team Ovechkin year and years ago are still having that debate to this day and nothing will change their mind lol

That's not true. I was on the Nolan Patrick bandwagon and couldn't have given a sh!t about him from the moment we picked Nico. I couldn't care less about what he does or doesn't do, and I won't care what Kakko does either (although I was never on the Kakko side).

5 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's not true. I was on the Nolan Patrick bandwagon and couldn't have given a sh!t about him from the moment we picked Nico. I couldn't care less about what he does or doesn't do, and I won't care what Kakko does either (although I was never on the Kakko side).

Sounds like you took it as if i meant like "within our fanbase" but it's not what i was saying.

I mean in general, i feel when there's a "choice" like this to make. A lot of people will make up their mind from the get-go and stick with it no matter what if it's somehow close... I mean... who debated Roy vs Brodeur in the last 10 years and actually changed their mind after some stat or something was brought up? haha more often than not you'll see and accept what you want to and you make excuses for what doesnt fit what you want to believe.

A very big chunk of every fanbases or sports fan are all living in a sort of echo chamber feeding on confirmation bias so it's understandable

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Well GB has been drawn in a group where one of the teams can't get relegated for 2020. So we look doomed. But you never know. 

Good luck ; ) 

On the bright side.. you avoid Russia/Finland/USA/Swiss
on the not so bright side.. you have Canada/FInland/Czech/Germany/Slovakia and one spot taken for suviving the relegation...

Oh wait...

Yes you are doomed ! 
But just because I really like you... I will root for GB ! ; ) 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:29 AM, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, whether Kaako is better or not, there’s no way anyone won’t be focused on what he’s doing. 

Unless he sort of somehow fizzles.  Most of us aren't really in tune with what Patrick's been doing just south of us.

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Well GB has been drawn in a group where one of the teams can't get relegated for 2020. So we look doomed. But you never know. 

What do you mean with "one of the teams can't get relegated"?

You have Belarus and Denmark in your group, which aren't international powerhouses. Germany is also very inconsistent.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Unless he sort of somehow fizzles.  Most of us aren't really in tune with what Patrick's been doing just south of us.

I’m not sure that’s true. We’re all aware he has not been great and it’s been said dozens of times that Nico was the better pick. 

Should Kakko fizzle, it’ll be the same but more, because he would be a Ranger. The rivalry is way stronger. I don’t even think about the Flyers until we’re playing them, while I hate the Rangers full time. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

What do you mean with "one of the teams can't get relegated"?

You have Belarus and Denmark in your group, which aren't international powerhouses. Germany is also very inconsistent.

Belarus organise the next one... So they will be automatically qualified

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure that’s true. We’re all aware he has not been great and it’s been said dozens of times that Nico was the better pick. 

Should Kakko fizzle, it’ll be the same but more, because he would be a Ranger. The rivalry is way stronger. I don’t even think about the Flyers until we’re playing them, while I hate the Rangers full time. 

I suppose.  I never really thought I was a rarity in this aspect, but I've always hated the Flyers and Rangers equally.  Well, maybe like 51/49 Rangers, or even 60/40, but definitely no more than that.  I mean, both their fanbases are trash, we're in the same division, and we're so close in proximity to both of them.  Not to mention that for a long time, essentially after both us and the Rags won Cups back to back, that the Flyers were the way more competitive team from that point forward, pretty much until the last 5 years or so, and even then it's not like the Rags were really much better than them.  

With that said, I personally was not really aware of what Patrick was doing - he hasn't really wowed in any particular area, so I essentially forgot about him.  

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I suppose.  I never really thought I was a rarity in this aspect, but I've always hated the Flyers and Rangers equally.  Well, maybe like 51/49 Rangers, or even 60/40, but definitely no more than that.  I mean, both their fanbases are trash, we're in the same division, and we're so close in proximity to both of them.  Not to mention that for a long time, essentially after both us and the Rags won Cups back to back, that the Flyers were the way more competitive team from that point forward, pretty much until the last 5 years or so, and even then it's not like the Rags were really much better than them.  

With that said, I personally was not really aware of what Patrick was doing - he hasn't really wowed in any particular area, so I essentially forgot about him.  

Patrick has basically been their Zacha so far (especially offensively)...occasional bursts of production, but very long stretches of not much at all.  The Flyer faithful are definitely becoming very impatient with him.  I think you can give him a relative pass for what he's done in the NHL so far (his age 19 and 20 seasons), and it's not like he was necessarily expected to step right in and put up big numbers immediately.  But they're going to lose their minds over there if it's more of the same in Year 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean, both their fanbases are trash, we're in the same division, and we're so close in proximity to both of them

I am not that close to Philadelphia. There are thousands of Rangers fans here, and zero Flyers fans. So its really easy to hate the Rangers more. I never think about the Flyers or their fans. 

Maybe South Jersey is a different experience, I don't know. I would assume so. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I am not that close to Philadelphia. There are thousands of Rangers fans here, and zero Flyers fans. So its really easy to hate the Rangers more. I never think about the Flyers or their fans. 

Maybe South Jersey is a different experience, I don't know. I would assume so. 

True, I suppose I was talking more in terms of compared to other teams and how heated some of those rivalries are.  I mean, Philly and Pittsburgh is as heated as it gets as well, and they're a good 3 hours from each other from what I remember.  Us and Philly, we're about an hour and a half.  I'm not sure about any of the teams in California, but aside from the Isles and Rags I think we might be the closest to Philly compared to any two other teams, no?  I mean, the Canadian teams all have strong rivalries, but they're all so far from each other. 

29 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True, I suppose I was talking more in terms of compared to other teams and how heated some of those rivalries are.  I mean, Philly and Pittsburgh is as heated as it gets as well, and they're a good 3 hours from each other from what I remember.  Us and Philly, we're about an hour and a half.  I'm not sure about any of the teams in California, but aside from the Isles and Rags I think we might be the closest to Philly compared to any two other teams, no?  I mean, the Canadian teams all have strong rivalries, but they're all so far from each other. 

I guess. My point was, its enough distance that I am not exposed to their idiot fans on a daily basis, and let's be honest, conflict between the fan bases is at least 50% of why there are sports rivalries.