Trivia

ajsgolf

Just now, Jimmy Leeds said:

Friggin' impressive!     I was listening to it on radio with Mike Miller and watching on the TV

I didn't actually HEAR the call until many years later...I kinda wished I'd watched it somewhere else, just so I could've heard it in the moment.  It was still fun though...especially with a fair number of Devils fans in Bar A.  Ranger fans in attendance were just kinda shaking their heads and looking down. 

• Like 1

And the irony is I think the one team that will always have the most mystique will be the 2000-01 Devils...because despite being so damned good, somehow they DIDN'T get it done.  It's been discussed and re-discussed so many times, but for me it will always come down to Marty having one of his most inconsistent seasons during his prime years (this carried over to the playoffs, and some of his worst goaltending came against the Avs), and they just peaked too early.  I've been over that 22-2-0 incredibly dominant run that they went on that ended after the Devils took that 3-0 series lead against the 'Canes.  After that, they were just not the same...they went 12-10 over the rest of those playoffs...if anything, thank God for the oddly disinterested and heavily flawed Penguins...they were the perfect tonic, as far as getting to the 2000-01 SCF went, without having to worry about much in the way of any resistance.  Still can't imagine how the Pens fans felt to see their team shut out TWICE at home (back-to-back of course) in the ECF...with guys like Lemieux, Jagr, Lang, etc.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I was 10 years old for that Cup. Arnott was my favorite player. I owned 2 jerseys; an Arnott red and an Arnott white. When the Devils scored in double-OT I'd already fallen asleep. My dad says he woke me up cheering and I said "I'm going to sleep, please be quiet." I then woke up around 4am, FREAKED OUT, didn't know who won the game, woke my dad up to ask, and started bawling (happy) when he said Arnie got it. 

He let me skip school the next day and watch the game (he taped it for me). I rewatched the game start-to-finish 3 times in a row. He came home with a Kinkos-printed poster of the goal. It's still hanging in my childhood bedroom. 

I had taken my last final the morning of the game, I was 15. I missed hearing Game 5's Hull OT winner cause I got out of bed to take a leak as I was already sneaking to stay up for that one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And the irony is I think the one team that will always have the most mystique will be the 2000-01 Devils...because despite being so damned good, somehow they DIDN'T get it done.  It's been discussed and re-discussed so many times, but for me it will always come down to Marty having one of his most inconsistent seasons during his prime years (this carried over to the playoffs, and some of his worst goaltending came against the Avs), and they just peaked too early.  I've been over that 22-2-0 incredibly dominant run that they went on that ended after the Devils took that 3-0 series lead against the 'Canes.  After that, they were just not the same...they went 12-10 over the rest of those playoffs...if anything, thank God for the oddly disinterested and heavily flawed Penguins...they were the perfect tonic, as far as getting to the 2000-01 SCF went, without having to worry about much in the way of any resistance.  Still can't imagine how the Pens fans felt to see their team shut out TWICE at home (back-to-back of course) in the ECF...with guys like Lemieux, Jagr, Lang, etc.

I always say it- 2001 is the one I take to my grave, more than any other sports loss I’ve had with either of my teams (the ending of the Dolphins 2002 season is right up there as well for me as far as soul crushers that will stay with me until the day I die).... blowing the chance to repeat is something that’ll always stick in my craw, but it’s more the way it happened.... losing game 6- and being shut out to boot- at home with the Cup in the house, was the biggest nut punch game I’ve ever been through as a fan.

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

I had taken my last final the morning of the game, I was 15. I missed hearing Game 5's Hull OT winner cause I got out of bed to take a leak as I was already sneaking to stay up for that one.

I turned 21 that season.... what a year. I was a junior in college at Willy P. Great times. I was at game 5, and we were literally INCHES away from winning the Cup in the first OT on a Holik shot that trickled right through the crease- the whole place literally leapt up and then let out a collective OOOOOOOHHHHH as the puck dribbled just wide. I went home tired and pissed off that night, (the game ended at like 1:00 AM), as I had class early the next morning. A class I FULLY intended on skipping had we won the Cup that night. 😆 

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

I was 10 years old for that Cup. Arnott was my favorite player. I owned 2 jerseys; an Arnott red and an Arnott white. When the Devils scored in double-OT I'd already fallen asleep. My dad says he woke me up cheering and I said "I'm going to sleep, please be quiet." I then woke up around 4am, FREAKED OUT, didn't know who won the game, woke my dad up to ask, and started bawling (happy) when he said Arnie got it. 

He let me skip school the next day and watch the game (he taped it for me). I rewatched the game start-to-finish 3 times in a row. He came home with a Kinkos-printed poster of the goal. It's still hanging in my childhood bedroom. 

I was also 10, and me and my then 6-year-old brother stayed up the entire game making a cardboard and tin foil Stanley Cup (me now being superstitious would have slapped me from then). Needless to say we lost our absolute sh!t with my late father. 

The cardboard Stanley Cup became a tradition in 01 and 03. The 2001 one didn't survive my 11 year old tearful rage shred after I got to see Ray Borque steal a cup

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

I was almost 30.  Ouch.

I was dating a Slovakian girl at the time and we watched all of Game 5 at a bar...It was an exhausting game to watch...felt like it would never end.  Goals in general were pretty hard to come by after the Devils and Stars combined for 10 of them in Game 1...I’m sure fans of other teams were really hating that series towards the end.

I was in law school and still living in my parents house, in the bedroom I had from age 0-25. Mere feet from where my parents were sleeping. 

Arnott scores and I leap up, fist pumps, jumping up and down, all in complete silence so as to not wake anyone up. 

My “silent celebration” would be repeated 3 years later, this time in an apartment with my wife sleeping mere feet away.

Now, I have a house (since 2004) and I have enough space that I wouldn’t have to celebrate silently. But honestly, the silent celebration might happen once again. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, DevsMan84 said:

With a massive inferiority complex.  I counted at a game in 17-18 once where the crowd did 5 Rangers suck chants before we got 1 semi-loud LGD chant.

We weren't playing the Rangers that night.

I only heard about this a few years ago and I was truly shocked. I have to admit it's so damn embarrassing for our fanbase and it's a shame

I was 16 in 2000.  I went to games 1 and 5 of the 2000 SCF.  Game 1 was a blast because we destroyed the Stars.  Game 5 was just weird.  Everyone in the entire place was just waiting to celebrate the win (my parents gave me permission that if we won that night I could skip school the next day).  The things I remember most was the arena running out of everything except coffee and water after the first overtime and when Modano scored that goal in 3OT.  It was just a quick play where I believe he deflected it in and everyone in the arena just gasped.  Completely stunned.

Like others have said, we have talked 2001 to death about how that team just blew it.  We lost because of three main reasons 1) Team got too cocky after game 5 2) Mogilny decided to again disappear off the face of the Earth after round 2 and 3) Marty was bad.

17 hours ago, MB3 said:

Re:  Arnott...people forget what a low he was on when he came here...he was having a brutal year in Edmonton, and it didn't get any better for him when he first came to NJ...he somehow managed just 10 goals in 73 GP that season, split between the Oilers and Devils.  And it wasn't looking much better when he scored 11 goals through 49 GP in his first full season in NJ (1998-99)...but then just like that, he started finding the net...16 goals in his final 25 GP (and for the next 10 seasons would remain a consistent offensive force, averaging 65 points per 82 GP before inevitable decline set in), and though maybe to some he never quite lived up to his earlier hype, he had a much more productive career than I think many people realize...1238 GP, 417 G and 521 A over an 18-year career player. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Speaking of trivia, my buddy and I were talking yesterday and he said "i wonder if we can name in reverse order all of the Devils playoff overtime goals." So I'm gonna try from memory, and it's not going to be pretty I don't think. 

1. Henrique, SCF Game-4
  2. Henrique, ECF Game-6
  3. Ponikarovski (I think?), ECSF Game...4?
  4. Henrique, ECQF, Game-7 (I was there, waddup)
  5. Zajac, ECQF, Game-6
  6. (don't think we had any OT wins against Philly or Carolina)
  7. Madden, ECQF, Game...3? 4?
  8. Langenbrunner, ECSF Game 2
  9. Gomez, ECSF Game 4? 
  10. (older than this I know I'll miss some)
  11. Marshall, ECSF Game 5

that kinda taps me out. I'm sure I missed a few. don't look it up!

We won that one in regulation

23 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Speaking of trivia, my buddy and I were talking yesterday and he said "i wonder if we can name in reverse order all of the Devils playoff overtime goals." So I'm gonna try from memory, and it's not going to be pretty I don't think. 

1. Henrique, SCF Game-4
  2. Henrique, ECF Game-6
  3. Ponikarovski (I think?), ECSF Game...4?
  4. Henrique, ECQF, Game-7 (I was there, waddup)
  5. Zajac, ECQF, Game-6
  6. (don't think we had any OT wins against Philly or Carolina)
  7. Madden, ECQF, Game...3? 4?
  8. Langenbrunner, ECSF Game 2
  9. Gomez, ECSF Game 4? 
  10. (older than this I know I'll miss some)
  11. Marshall, ECSF Game 5

that kinda taps me out. I'm sure I missed a few. don't look it up!

Randy McKay had one in 1995 against Boston in the first round...Game 4.  Game them a 3-1 series lead.  Think that was the only goal of the game. 

• Like 2