Draft day

ajsgolf

17 days left...are you nervous or will your nerves be in check until the Devils start to announce...

”With the first pick in the 2019 NHL draft the New Jersey Devils select from the...”

Just don’t want to start to hear anything that resembles Fin...def prefer Hughes since the potential seems greater that Kaapo.

Your thoughts?

My thought remains:

If you don’t draft Hughes and he meets his potential and is the better player, you’re a laughing stock for not drafting the consensus #1 pick. 

If you draft Hughes and Kaapo winds up being the better player, it sucks, but sh!t happens. Draft position doesn’t guarantee success. But at least you didn’t pass on the #1 guy to get him. 

Pick Hughes. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

My thought remains:

If you don’t draft Hughes and he meets his potential and is the better player, you’re a laughing stock for not drafting the consensus #1 pick. 

If you draft Hughes and Kaapo winds up being the better player, it sucks, but sh!t happens. Draft position doesn’t guarantee success. But at least you didn’t pass on the #1 guy to get him. 

Pick Hughes. 

giphy.gif

I don't get the whole "Hughes is going to be better but Kakko is the better player right now" argument that Rags fans are using. Does the fact that Hughes is going to be better(has the higher ceiling) make him better by default? Right now, in the past, in the future? He is the better player, no? Kakko might score more goals next season but it doesn't mean he is better when you factor in the whole story.

33 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't get the whole "Hughes is going to be better but Kakko is the better player right now" argument that Rags fans are using. Does the fact that Hughes is going to be better(has the higher ceiling) make him better by default? Right now, in the past, in the future? He is the better player, no? Kakko might score more goals next season but it doesn't mean he is better when you factor in the whole story.

No, it means that Kakko is better now, but Hughes will be better later. That makes Hughes the “better player” while Kakko is the “better player now” or the “better player next year”. 

The fact that Hughes is considered better overall is why we’d pick him despite Kakko being the better player “now”. 

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

We need centers. Draft the potentially epic center.

I mean this isn’t Alexandre Daigle we’re talking about 

That fvcking guy. 

I remember when he was being fdrafted, I bought a pack of hockey cards and pulled out a hand signed Daigle insert card. That was the days before EVERY box of cards had multiple inserts, it was basically finding a needle in a haystack. 

I wasn't fond of hims or the Senators, but I was ready to make a killing selling it. As soon as he hits it big, it should be worth a ton.

I believe I eventually sold it for $8. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That fvcking guy. 

I remember when he was being fdrafted, I bought a pack of hockey cards and pulled out a hand signed Daigle insert card. That was the days before EVERY box of cards had multiple inserts, it was basically finding a needle in a haystack. 

I wasn't fond of hims or the Senators, but I was ready to make a killing selling it. As soon as he hits it big, it should be worth a ton.

I believe I eventually sold it for $8. 

If I remember correctly, it was Score that had the huge marketing campaign including one where it was “what uniform will he wear next?” And he was in all sorts of get ups: nurse, doctor, fire fighter, etc. Purple and blue wrapping too, IRCC. 

I had damn close to the complete set.

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If I remember correctly, it was Score that had the huge marketing campaign including one where it was “what uniform will he wear next?” And he was in all sorts of get ups: nurse, doctor, fire fighter, etc. Purple and blue wrapping too, IRCC. 

I had damn close to the complete set.

Mine was from Score's higher quality, fancier "Pinnacle" set. 

Here's the unsigned version, available for $0.15

Unfortunately in the late 80's and throughout the 90's those card companies went overboard with production.  Now almost all cards from that era are largely worthless because of it.

That Marty rookie card should be worth a lot, but it isn't because it was produced in gigantic quantities.  You can get a good ungraded one on eBay for $3-5.  The most expensive one I have ever seen was I think about $40 and it was a PSA graded 10 lol.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Unfortunately in the late 80's and throughout the 90's those card companies went overboard with production.  Now almost all cards from that era are largely worthless because of it.

That Marty rookie card should be worth a lot, but it isn't because it was produced in gigantic quantities.  You can get a good ungraded one on eBay for $3-5.  The most expensive one I have ever seen was I think about $40 and it was a PSA graded 10 lol.

I collected cards extensively that year. I had a stack of about 70 of those at one point. I sold them around the time of the first Stanley Cup, getting about $8-10 a piece individually, and less on bulk sales. 

I still have THOUSANDS of worthless cards. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I collected cards extensively that year. I had a stack of about 70 of those at one point. I sold them around the time of the first Stanley Cup, getting about $8-10 a piece individually, and less on bulk sales. 

I still have THOUSANDS of worthless cards. 

Ouch.

I really don't collect cards outside of ones I buy to match to my game worn jerseys.  Typically when I buy cards from the 90's the shipping on the card costs the same or more than the card itself.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ouch.

I really don't collect cards outside of ones I buy to match to my game worn jerseys.  Typically when I buy cards from the 90's the shipping on the card costs the same or more than the card itself.

That's why I still have them lol.

Truthfully, most of the "good" stuff was sold off years ago, and the rest probably should (and eventually will) just go in a dumpster. 

They still reside in my parents' house, the last thing I have there. I told them I will come pick them up if my sister comes to pick up HALF of the collection of crap she has in their attic. And there's a TON of it. 

I'm pretty sure I am safe for a LOOONG time. 

• Like 1

The only reason people give you for claiming that Kakko will definitely be better in his first year is his size and “against men.”  It’s a total nonsense narrative.  

The last time you had something similar was going into the 2013 season where the then smallish but fast MacKinnon was drafted before the bigger Sasha Barkov who played “against men” and was probably better at it than Kakko.  It took three years for Barkov to come into his own and MacKinnon was better right off the bat.     So the whole thing is stupid, which is par for the course for Ranger fans.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

The only reason people give you for claiming that Kakko will definitely be better in his first year is his size and “against men.”  It’s a total nonsense narrative.  

The last time you had something similar was going into the 2013 season where the then smallish but fast MacKinnon was drafted before the bigger Sasha Barkov who played “against men” and was probably better at it than Kakko.  It took three years for Barkov to come into his own and MacKinnon was better right off the bat.     So the whole thing is stupid, which is par for the course for Ranger fans.

few things...

i don't remember anyone talking about MacKinnon being small then and he was playing around where i live so i heard about him and Drouin quite a bit then. 

Also it was mostly Jones vs MacKinnon, not Barkov. Barkov was actually a surprised to be picked 2nd, most had him going 4th

Also the reason to claim that thing about kakko and Hughes is that Jack DOES have a bigger adjustment to make going from playing against kids than Kakko playing against men. That's just a reality. Players adjust differently and some doesn't adjust as good as others so it's really not an unfair claim. It certainly doesn't confirm anything but it's really not unfair.

Also Drouin is a good example, he had sooooo much skills in juniors and he was actually outproducing MacKinnon in their draft year, playing on the same team and by quite a margin. Nathan finished with 75 pts and Drouin 105 pts. And it was said then that even if Drouin was producing a lot more, some were worried that he wouldnt get away with his skills in the NHL like he did playing juniors. While MacKinnon's game would translate a lot better and even if they were the same height, MacKinnon was always build a lot stronger.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

few things...

i don't remember anyone talking about MacKinnon being small then and he was playing around where i live so i heard about him and Drouin quite a bit then. 

Also it was mostly Jones vs MacKinnon, not Barkov. Barkov was actually a surprised to be picked 2nd, most had him going 4th

Also the reason to claim that thing about kakko and Hughes is that Jack DOES have a bigger adjustment to make going from playing against kids than Kakko playing against men. That's just a reality. Players adjust differently and some doesn't adjust as good as others so it's really not an unfair claim. It certainly doesn't confirm anything but it's really not unfair.

Also Drouin is a good example, he had sooooo much skills in juniors and he was actually outproducing MacKinnon in their draft year, playing on the same team and by quite a margin. Nathan finished with 75 pts and Drouin 105 pts. And it was said then that even if Drouin was producing a lot more, some were worried that he wouldnt get away with his skills in the NHL like he did playing juniors. While MacKinnon's game would translate a lot better and even if they were the same height, MacKinnon was always build a lot stronger.

Hughes and MacKinnon have a lot more in common than Drouin and Hughes.

Otherwise, sometimes high draft picks who played "against men" take longer (significantly longer) to establish themselves than North American prospects and sometimes it's the opposite.  What I'm getting at is there is nothing other worldly about Kakko that justifies people assuming that he'll have a much bigger impact in his first year.  And there's nothing about Hughes' frame that guarantees that he'll almost be red shirting his first year.

I remain undecided. Rooney and Blackwood are scheduled to be there, I thought my daughter might get a kick out of it. And it's free. We'll see what happens. 

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Same, not worth the time and money to me to go watch one pick because I'm shutting it off right after our pick anyway. 

You aren't gonna watch the Rangers make the 2nd pick? 

Me either. Fvck them.