Sign in to follow this  
ajsgolf

Expectation

Someone help me out here and talk this through.

Let’s say (and I for sure as hell hope) Shero drafts Hughes.  That could provide a pretty solid 1st and 2nd lines.  My concern is on D.  Why are the Devils holding onto Greene.  I get the whole contract thing but send him down or something. Saw him to be too much of a liability.

That being said, even outside of Greene, Devils def struggle with reliable D-men.  Are they focused on improving their 6 D-men?  Trades, drafts...someone help out here.  Anyone have any insider information (wishful thinking) how they’re going to drastically improve on D?

Cant just rely on their d-men from last year.  Sure, some are young such as Carrick and can improve but what are the expectations here?  Greene will only drop (if that’s even possible) in performance.  I’m really trying to foresee how their season will look this upcoming year.

Sorry, I feel 16 years (almost to the day, I was there lol) is a long time for this team to wait in between cups and I know it’s been much longer for other teams (hopefully the Blues can end their drought, fvck Marchand) but I hate waiting. Yes, I know 2012 but I would sure as hell like more consistency of making the playoffs.

Come on, please give me something here so I can be quite optimistic for this season.  I’m sick of the word rebuilding, ugh.  Enjoy the weekend all.  Sorry if this sounded more like a rant.

Posted (edited)

Well first of all since the name of the topic is expectation... so i'd say don't go expecting that the team WILL win a cup lol so that you get annoyed cause it's not happening fast enough. I know it's very easy to get entitled in this day and age but it's something that's good to challenge a little haha

It's incredibly hard, there's more teams and more parity than ever, so you need just about everything to go right to make that happen.

Now expecting that the team is competitive and challenging for a cup that's more what we should be hoping for haha

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Greene isn't going to be sent down to Bing.  For one he would likely not clear waivers if he was, two if he cleared waivers he would be paid the same and three, he is better than any other defenseman we have in Bing and in the pipeline not named Smith.  Outside of Smith our D prospects are just OK IMO.

I am 50/50 sure that Greene gets bought out this summer.  If he doesn't, I can imagine he gets dealt at the trade deadline for a mid-round pick if we are out of the playoff running.

so you're saying move andy Greene our team captain down to Bing.. right, he would lose his captaincy prior to that happening.. I can imagine the message that would send to the rest of the club. Jesus Christ, think before you post nonsense. We all get it and see it, Greene is in the last year of his contract (I believe) he still has a valuable role to play for us, unfortunately he is victim of playing in too much of a role than what he should be playing which we have been seeing with numerous players for the past several years. take it easy. You should hope that we make a decent trade to improve the back end this summer, Greene is not going anywhere thats a guarantee ..unless he is traded, which I also don't see happening

Greene is still a capable NHL defenseman, and he’s in the last year of his deal.  He’s also very respected among the rest of the team, which counts.  If you told me Roman Josi were there to be had, by all means, send Greene on his way.  Otherwise, he’s not going to be the difference between the Devils being one thing or being another thing. 

• Like 1

These two topics should be merged, its already being discussed in offseason. As mentioned, in terms of D, Shero could do none, one or both of:

1. Buy out Greene: then he may need to sign a UFA to a bridge contract, might as well duke it out with Greene

2. Sign a High Profile UFA (slim chance): Karlsson, Myers or Gardiner

These things are already being discussed in other threads, do we need more threads? Off Season thread for this. Kakko vs Hughes for the Crosby comparison would have sufficed.

• Like 1

We've beat this dead horse many times. Greene, currently is our #1 or #2 Dman (Severson) Yes we need 1-4 help this year and thinking beyond. Hopefully Ray can land Gardiner? or trade for Colin Miller or Mcnabb (for prospect/2nd & maybe B's 2nd round pick?  

Greener will never be sent down. If we did he's stays as cap hit. I thought if we were to trade Green, it would be home to Detroit.

I'm hoping also Ray's thinking about Nic Ehler's or Roslovic

Yeah, the idea of sending Greene down is ridiculous. So is asking him to give up his number. The C otoh...