Sign in to follow this  
MB3

The New Jersey Devils select Jack Hughes at 1OA

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I originally thought 96 would be a possibility, then saw that he'd worn 86 previously (thanks to Neb00rs)...thought Hughes might go for more of a blend-in number with 16 now available (maybe he still does), but 86 works.  It's a number that he can clearly make his own too...I took a quick gander, and only two players ever wore it previously...Wojtek Wolski was the last to wear it, in 2012, with the Rangers (he didn't wear it at every stop, but 1986 was his birth year...he played 451 games in the NHL and his last game came on 4/11/2013).  The other player to don 86 was the Canadiens' Jonathan Ferland, in a brief 7-game stint in 2005-06 (his only games played in the NHL). 

So yeah, like the fact that 86 is pretty much a blank slate. 

Hopefully he makes it one of those numbers that is forever identified with him, like 66 for Mario or 68 for Jagr where other guys might wear it but it's always linked to one guy. (I'm allowed to dream) and hopefully not 85 for Peter Klima

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Hopefully he makes it one of those numbers that is forever identified with him, like 66 for Mario or 68 for Jagr where other guys might wear it but it's always linked to one guy. (I'm allowed to dream) and hopefully not 85 for Peter Klima

That's why I like the idea of 86...would be awesome to say that number out loud in 15 years or so, and for everyone to know exactly who you're talking about.  Just like when people say "99" and everyone immediately thinks of...Wilf Paiement with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

And on another note, I just realized that in 15 years, I'll have just about reached retirement age.  Aw sh!t...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's why I like the idea of 86...would be awesome to say that number out loud in 15 years or so, and for everyone to know exactly who you're talking about.  Just like when people say "99" and everyone immediately thinks of...Wilf Paiement with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

And on another note, I just realized that in 15 years, I'll have just about reached retirement age.  Aw sh!t...

That would be awesome because there’s already an 86 in the show that just won a Hart trophy.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That would be awesome because there’s already an 86 in the show that just won a Hart trophy.

Oh sh!t totally forgot that Kucherov wears that number!  I'm a fvcking idiot, it's just been made official.  Guess I'm so tired of him curbstomping the Devils that I just try to act like he doesn't exist.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh sh!t totally forgot that Kucherov wears that number!  I'm a fvcking idiot, it's just been made official.  Guess I'm so tired of him curbstomping the Devils that I just try to act like he doesn't exist.

Yep. I totally forgot him too. I'm not sure why I'm allowed outside in public without a chaperone. 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yep. I totally forgot him too. I'm not sure why I'm allowed outside in public without a chaperone. 

Could be worse boys, at least you aren’t Rangers fans. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Could be worse boys, at least you aren’t Rangers fans. 

This has me in the slow lane to feeling better about myself.

The fast lane would be Erika putting an arm around me and saying "That's OK schnookums, everybody makes mistakes, I still think you're the awesomest".  Just before she asks me to rip another fart, because even though she found the last one to be plenty loud and awfully funny, it wasn't quite long enough in duration to be truly memorable.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Had to re-watch it. Check out the sportsmanship from P.K. afterwards. Class guy. 

I was sitting behind the Habs net, 208(I think), for that hit.

I jokingly said "oh PK might have just killed him...."

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He looks so little here but in reality this is probably like less than 10 years ago. We probably have active threads on this board older than Jack Hughes

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

He looks so little here but in reality this is probably like less than 10 years ago. We probably have active threads on this board older than Jack Hughes

He looks like he’s about 9 or 10, so yeah this was probably like 2010 or 2011 lol.

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

I knew I was getting old when I started seeing the sons of players that I clearly remembered watching.  Guys like Alexander Steen (Thomas' kid), and of course, Miles Wood...I remember Randy Wood (especially as an Islander) very well.  

But yeah, the video looks so oldern...but it ain't!  It's funny...even if you were to see a video of, say, a 10-year old Hall, it would've been shot in 2002...not like that was SUCH a long time ago (or feel that way)...but I guess it kinda was.  But videos of youngins from the 70s and even 80s look so much more ancient by comparison. 

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I knew I was getting old when I started seeing the sons of players that I clearly remembered watching.  Guys like Alexander Steen (Thomas' kid), and of course, Miles Wood...I remember Randy Wood (especially as an Islander) very well.  

But yeah, the video looks so oldern...but it ain't!  It's funny...even if you were to see a video of, say, a 10-year old Hall, it would've been shot in 2002...not like that was SUCH a long time ago (or feel that way)...but I guess it kinda was.  But videos of youngins from the 70s and even 80s look so much more ancient by comparison. 

Even the late 80's and early 90's is getting that highly dated look. One thing you definitely see especially looking at films from the 70's (of anything, concerts, home videos etc) is how everybody was skinny

9 hours ago, '7' said:

From the looks of him presently, that video could be from 6 months ago. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This tweet is so cheesy, reminds me of that Barney track.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

From the looks of him presently, that video could be from 6 months ago. 

Exactly!

Can we start getting this kid some sandwiches asap please!

• Like 1

Hughes was just on WFAN with Boomer and Gio.  Seemed very excited and had the right attitude.  Best thing about him appears to be his burning passion and desire to compete, be the best, and win.  I honestly think, if Hall is with us this season (which I think he will be), between him, Hughes, and now Subban, we are seriously going to have a team that is just flat out hungrier than anyone.  Gotta include guys like Hischier, Palms, and especially Greene and Zajac who are older vets without a Cup.  Not that they weren't hungry before, but I can just see this group rallying together and be more unified than in years past.  Sort of similar to two years ago when we made it back to the playoffs, they rallied together because they were seen as the underdogs.  This time around I don't think we'll be nearly the underdogs, in fact, I think we could be considered among the favorites.  

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 10:27 PM, mfitz804 said:

Great, now he’s definitely going to leave in 3 years and go to Edmonton. 

I’m saving this for memeing purposes. It hasn’t come to me yet, but it will be important for me to have this sometime in the future. 

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but the Hughes walk by Kakko and Kakko's facial expression is also potential gold.

9 hours ago, titans04 said:

Exactly!

Ray's first stop better be Hobby's, and then another Hobby's stop tonight for the road. Bulk up, kid!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hughes was just on WFAN with Boomer and Gio.  Seemed very excited and had the right attitude.  Best thing about him appears to be his burning passion and desire to compete, be the best, and win.  I honestly think, if Hall is with us this season (which I think he will be), between him, Hughes, and now Subban, we are seriously going to have a team that is just flat out hungrier than anyone.  Gotta include guys like Hischier, Palms, and especially Greene and Zajac who are older vets without a Cup.  Not that they weren't hungry before, but I can just see this group rallying together and be more unified than in years past.  Sort of similar to two years ago when we made it back to the playoffs, they rallied together because they were seen as the underdogs.  This time around I don't think we'll be nearly the underdogs, in fact, I think we could be considered among the favorites.  

I don't think Shero is done either...think he will make at least one or two other solid moves to improve the 2019-20 team...not necessarily mega-splash moves, but with guys like Smith and Boqvist in the fold (think we almost forget about them sometimes), he may not have to make huge moves anyway.

I really believe that the only way Hall isn't re-signed is if he simply decides that he doesn't want to be here beyond this season.  2019-20 does not look likely to be a repeat of 2018-19...I don't see the Devils getting such poor goaltending for so much of the season with what looks to be a recovered Cory and a solid young kid in Mac, and I'm hoping for less stiffs being called up when guys inevitably miss some games (basically, less Qs and Lappins).  And of course hopefully there's a hell of a lot less injuries this season.  One thing Hall has to realize is that his missing 45 games didn't exactly help last season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 hours ago, titans04 said:

Exactly!

If sandwiches were all it took I'd be in the Hall of Fame. Just sayin'. 

Get him on the Nico plan, whatever he did between seasons 1 and 2 was exactly what Hughes requires. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just call me Gretzky. 

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think Shero is done either...think he will make at least one or two other solid moves to improve the 2019-20 team...not necessarily mega-splash moves, but with guys like Smith and Boqvist in the fold (think we almost forget about them sometimes), he may not have to make huge moves anyway.

I really believe that the only way Hall isn't re-signed is if he simply decides that he doesn't want to be here beyond this season.  2019-20 does not look likely to be a repeat of 2018-19...I don't see the Devils getting such poor goaltending for so much of the season with what looks to be a recovered Cory and a solid young kid in Mac, and I'm hoping for less stiffs being called up when guys inevitably miss some games (basically, less Qs and Lappins).  And of course hopefully there's a hell of a lot less injuries this season.  One thing Hall has to realize is that his missing 47 games didn't exactly help last season. 

I'm in agreement here... At this point, if Hall doesn't sign, it's on Hall. Assuming money and term aren't the issues, Ray has done a phenomenal job showing that he's about building a winner. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Get him on the Nico plan, whatever he did between seasons 1 and 2 was exactly what Hughes requires. 

Not sure sandwiches will do it. He said this morning that he's eaten deli sandwiches for lunch for the past 13 years.

The topic was broached when Matt Loughlin mentioned he doesn't eat meat. Jack's response was "ugh." 

Sorry to the vegans on here, but Jack has no respect for you.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1