Sign in to follow this  
MB3

The New Jersey Devils select Jack Hughes at 1OA

58 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think Shero is done either...think he will make at least one or two other solid moves to improve the 2019-20 team...not necessarily mega-splash moves, but with guys like Smith and Boqvist in the fold (think we almost forget about them sometimes), he may not have to make huge moves anyway.

I really believe that the only way Hall isn't re-signed is if he simply decides that he doesn't want to be here beyond this season.  2019-20 does not look likely to be a repeat of 2018-19...I don't see the Devils getting such poor goaltending for so much of the season with what looks to be a recovered Cory and a solid young kid in Mac, and I'm hoping for less stiffs being called up when guys inevitably miss some games (basically, less Qs and Lappins).  And of course hopefully there's a hell of a lot less injuries this season.  One thing Hall has to realize is that his missing 47 games didn't exactly help last season. 

Agreed. I can see another decent move being made, but having landed Subban, I don't think there's any chance we land Panarin now.  I'm not at all upset though, I never thought he was coming here before, and now, I'm not even sure he'd be a good fit.  Too many superstars/Type-A's on one team isn't always the best recipe for success.  

Hopefully everything else you said rings true - better goaltending this year, less injuries, and if they do happen, better guys called up compared to last season.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hughes was just on WFAN with Boomer and Gio.  Seemed very excited and had the right attitude.  Best thing about him appears to be his burning passion and desire to compete, be the best, and win.  I honestly think, if Hall is with us this season (which I think he will be), between him, Hughes, and now Subban, we are seriously going to have a team that is just flat out hungrier than anyone.  Gotta include guys like Hischier, Palms, and especially Greene and Zajac who are older vets without a Cup.  Not that they weren't hungry before, but I can just see this group rallying together and be more unified than in years past.  Sort of similar to two years ago when we made it back to the playoffs, they rallied together because they were seen as the underdogs.  This time around I don't think we'll be nearly the underdogs, in fact, I think we could be considered among the favorites.  

Except "coincidentally"....Boomer was not in today and it was Gio and a big Devils fan Jerry Recco who did the show.

I guess Boomer wants to wait to have Kakko on so he can slobber all over HIM instead of trying to "Fake it" in being happy for Jack going to NJ.  :haha2:

• Like 3

As an update on jersey number, Jack said he hasn't decided yet but is considering 86, still loves 43 (paraphrasing).

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed. I can see another decent move being made, but having landed Subban, I don't think there's any chance we land Panarin now.  I'm not at all upset though, I never thought he was coming here before, and now, I'm not even sure he'd be a good fit.  Too many superstars/Type-A's on one team isn't always the best recipe for success.  

Hopefully everything else you said rings true - better goaltending this year, less injuries, and if they do happen, better guys called up compared to last season.

Interesting. I feel better about Panarin after Subban than before. Granted I'm at 1% where I was at 0% but it is an improvement.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

As an update on jersey number, Jack said he hasn't decided yet but is considering 86, still loves 43 (paraphrasing).

Wish he'd go with something lower, like 11.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I never thought he was coming here anyway.  And even if he did, assuming Hall re-signs, you'd see this "Wow look at all of this cap room we have" team start to become a bit top-heavy in a hurry...of course, once you put together a top team with enough big names, it gets to be pretty difficult to avoid that.  But we know the names that will be due raises...some of them as soon as after next season ends.  But if there's a team in pretty good shape to add a chunk of money, it's definitely the Devils. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Interesting. I feel better about Panarin after Subban than before. Granted I'm at 1% where I was at 0% but it is an improvement.

I could see why you'd feel that way.  From his perspective I think the chances would increase, because this weekend's activity makes us a more attractive destination - I was talking more in terms of from our side though.  I think we made our splash move already.  I don't see us landing another big name like that.  It's just not our (Ray's) style. 

Let's talk way-too-early predictions.

I'm going 20G-40A-60P, assuming he spends significant time with Hall and/or on the powerplay, and that everyone stays healthy.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I never thought he was coming here anyway.  And even if he did, assuming Hall re-signs, you'd see this "Wow look at all of this cap room we have" team start to become a bit top-heavy in a hurry...of course, once you put together a top team with enough big names, it gets to be pretty difficult to avoid that.  But we know the names that will be due raises...some of them as soon as after next season ends.  But if there's a team in pretty good shape to add a chunk of money, it's definitely the Devils. 

Yep, precisely this.  Ray's proven, among other things, that he's patient and methodic.  I don't see him jumping the guy and adding a guy like Panarin right now just because he's available.  It might not be the best use of the money we have at our disposal, at least not for the long term.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Same here. I didn't think Panarin would be a possibility until today. No team has the $11 million in cap it's going to cost to take him; not that I think Shero will offer that much, maybe caps it at $10m. And now he sees a cast of characters like P.K., Hall, Hughes, Nico, Vatanen, and *maybe* we look like an attractive destination? 

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wish he'd go with something lower, like 11.

Why do you care?? Just curious. 

26 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Sorry to the vegans on here, but Jack has no respect for you.

That's unfair. You can still respect someone who makes awful, stupid, undelicious food choices.

;)

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Why do you care?? Just curious. 

I don't really.  Just years of our team never having guys higher than 30 in the Lou days.  Plus in the old days of the game in general hardly anyone wore high numbers, so it's, uh, the traditionalist in me?  I dunno.  It doesn't really matter :)

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I could see why you'd feel that way.  From his perspective I think the chances would increase, because this weekend's activity makes us a more attractive destination - I was talking more in terms of from our side though.  I think we made our splash move already.  I don't see us landing another big name like that.  It's just not our (Ray's) style. 

Spending a fortune in UFA isn't Ray's style (I commend him plenty on that), but I don't think he's at all opposed to adding a big name.  But I think he'd prefer to do it in a trade, for someone who's cost controlled for a while...just like he did for Hall and later Subban.  But yeah, not sure if he's got one more of those up his sleeve for this offseason.  I think he's going to try to shore up the D now, with lesser moves.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Let's talk way-too-early predictions.

I'm going 20G-40A-60P, assuming he spends significant time with Hall and/or on the powerplay, and that everyone stays healthy.

60-65 points in 80+ games feels about right.  It's funny, for all of his obvious talent, I still see that 14-year-old face and hope he doesn't get destroyed in his first NHL season.  He just seems so damned childlike. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't really.  Just years of our team never having guys higher than 30 in the Lou days.  Plus in the old days of the game in general hardly anyone wore high numbers, so it's, uh, the traditionalist in me?  I dunno.  It doesn't really matter :)

I go the other way just because i hated when every guy getting called up in the Lou days had to get an under 30 number. We'd have like 4 guys wearing 18 in a season and I would lose track haha

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Spending a fortune in UFA isn't Ray's style (I commend him plenty on that), but I don't think he's at all opposed to adding a big name.  But I think he'd prefer to do it in a trade, for someone who's cost controlled for a while...just like he did for Hall and later Subban.  But yeah, not sure if he's got one more of those up his sleeve for this offseason.  I think he's going to try to shore up the D now, with lesser moves.

60-65 points in 80+ games feels about right.  It's funny, for all of his obvious talent, I still see that 14-year-old face and hope he doesn't get destroyed in his first NHL season.  He just seems so damned childlike. 

So did Nico and he held his own, for the most part, last 2 years. We watch Nico back-check, outmuscle, and strip the puck from much larger opponents 2-3 times a night!

It gets said a lot lately, but we truly are in the middle of an era where smaller players can thrive; hope Hughes is the next evidence of that.

Edited by DJ Eco

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re: the bolded, I think the lesson learned for me is to not to get too attached to the secondary top players you bring in if you are successful in doing so. It's not a negative for teams to lose these players if you look at it the right way. Sure Nashville lost Subban, but they got a return for him, a return they wouldn't have gotten if they didn't get him on their roster in the first place. The benefit is multiplied if you attract an FA - who comes for nothing but $$$. When you attract an FA, even if you lose that FA, it most likely means you are going to get something back for him. Nothing lasts forever.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I can see this one both ways.  I do think there's something kinda cool about "traditional". 

OTOH, I like more and more that this team is moving away from the Lou days...and this coming from someone who has defended Lou PLENTY through the years.  For all of the success, things just had a way of feeling stifling and humorless with the Devils.  I like seeing all of this being built up with a completely different philosophy where it feels like the players have just a little more room to be themselves.  That "breath of fresh air" feeling that came after Lou's departure feels more and more refreshing.  So I say "Sure, high numbers it is."

• Like 2

Man I miss TG. Miss having articles on each draft pick, info on when prospect camp starts. He always had something. Now we just have clickbait Chris Ryan with his listicles. I don’t even go on North jersey.com anymore. I’m glad the Devils themselves are upping their news content/features because our fan base has to live off scraps.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's how I feel, just pick a number so I can get my jersey done already lol. 

The only one who should care is Brett Seney, who may need a new number lol. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I can see this one both ways.  I do think there's something kinda cool about "traditional". 

OTOH, I like more and more that this team is moving away from the Lou days...and this coming from someone who has defended Lou PLENTY through the years.  For all of the success, things just had a way of feeling stifling and humorless with the Devils.  I like seeing all of this being built up with a completely different philosophy where it feels like the players have just a little more room to be themselves.  That "breath of fresh air" feeling that came after Lou's departure feels more and more refreshing.  So I say "Sure, high numbers it is."

I think having PK Subban on the roster wearing #76 is about the most "opposite of Lou" thing we could have done. 

The tradition is over, it has been for a few seasons now. 

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I hope he selects #11 in honor of Messier.

That's just not right dude. 

I think another great thing about Hughes is that it makes Nico a veteran in a way. Even though it's his 3rd year, he's got guys like Hughes and Smith following his lead a bit. I think that's great experience for Nico since i see him as a long term Elias type guy who contributes in so many ways

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I think having PK Subban on the roster wearing #76 is about the most "opposite of Lou" thing we could have done. 

The tradition is over, it has been for a few seasons now. 

To be fair, Lou did make exceptions:  Richer's 44, Gilmour's 93, Mogilny's 89, and Jagr's 68.  Apparently when Nicholls was traded here, he wanted 98, but Lou told him no way.

Yeah, all Lou number traditions went bye-bye immediately after he was gone...starting with Cam switching from 23 to 13.  Lots of high numbers in that first non-Lou season. 

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be fair, Lou did make exceptions:  Richer's 44, Gilmour's 93, Mogilny's 89, and Jagr's 68.  Apparently when Nicholls was traded here, he wanted 98, but Lou told him no way.

He did. But PK has a high number, a huge personality, and a big social media presence. He's not a Lou guy at all. Was pretty funny that he wouldn't make an exception for Bernie, guy had better stats that Richer, but he got told no. Maybe 44 was more acceptable than 98, I don't know.

#13 was my number growing up, and the fact that I didn't immediately get a Cammalleri jersey when he switched was proof positive how I felt about him, I guess. 

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, all Lou number traditions went bye-bye immediately after he was gone...starting with Cam switching from 23 to 13.  Lots of high numbers in that first non-Lou season. 

It was just another one of those out-of-touch things that was fine when you were winning but became really annoying when the team was a mess. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It was just another one of those out-of-touch things that was fine when you were winning but became really annoying when the team was a mess. 

At times it could be excessive, especially with Bernie Nichols, who was a really good player, but I did have an affinity for not giving someone an unusual number unless they earned it.  It was easy because the Devils were never in a position to draft a McDavid or Crosby in Lou's days where the policy would really be put to the test.

In the end though, I'd rather have more Devils fans.

• Like 1