The New Jersey Devils select Jack Hughes at 1OA

MB3

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It was easy because the Devils were never in a position to draft a McDavid or Crosby in Lou's days where the policy would really be put to the test.

Lou drafts McDavid, McDavid refuses to sign because he can’t have #97, Devils trade his rights for a Lindros style haul. 

Would be hard to tell an 18 year old he could wear 97 while telling Bernie Nichols to go fvck off. 

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Except "coincidentally"....Boomer was not in today and it was Gio and a big Devils fan Jerry Recco who did the show.

I guess Boomer wants to wait to have Kakko on so he can slobber all over HIM instead of trying to "Fake it" in being happy for Jack going to NJ.  :haha2:

Boomer is the fvcking worst.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

He did. But PK has a high number, a huge personality, and a big social media presence. He's not a Lou guy at all. Was pretty funny that he wouldn't make an exception for Bernie, guy had better stats that Richer, but he got told no. Maybe 44 was more acceptable than 98, I don't know.

#13 was my number growing up, and the fact that I didn't immediately get a Cammalleri jersey when he switched was proof positive how I felt about him, I guess. 

With Lou, it was almost like a grandfather clause...you came to NJ already being known for your higher number, and you were a legit star, you got to keep it.  But in Nicholls' case, as he had never before worn 98, no go. 

Random Nicholls story:  he was not particularly thrilled about being dealt to Edmonton (with Steven Rice and Louie deBrusk, for Messier of course), and was kind of biding his time...when he was dealt to NJ, he couldn't wait to leave the Oilers, so off he sped to the airport...only to get pulled over by a local cop, who apparently knew who Nicholls was and wasn't especially fond of him.  So Nicholls gets a ticket, and gets back on the road...only to get pulled over AGAIN by the same cop, who gave him a second speeding ticket (Nicholls swore he was only slightly over the limit that time).  Suffice it to say that made Bernie despise his time in Edmonton only that much more...he was truly relieved to be getting out of there...until he found his style of play not well-suited to NJ. 

And yeah, I don't know how Lou would deal with a PK-type.  Probably not too well. 

And I hated the Cam signing the second I saw it announced on here.  I think I still do. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I hated the Cam signing the second I saw it announced on here.  I think I still do. 

I remember wanting to get his jersey, because finally someone had my number. But I just held back, and then he became a terrible joke and I was glad I did. 

I had a Nico jersey before he ever set foot on NHL ice, in contrast. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I remember wanting to get his jersey, because finally someone had my number. But I just held back, and then he became a terrible joke and I was glad I did. 

At least you have Nico rocking your number now. All I have is Blake Pietela and I'm not dropping the cash on that

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I really wanted Nico's 2017 red #33 Development Camp jersey (on the "old" template...I got both Wood's and Bratt's 2017 red DC jerseys for very reasonable coin, and they even have some very minor wear) when it was auctioned off on Meigray, but the bidding really spiked on that one...I actually went to over $2k for it, then finally said the hell with it...think it went for about $2.5k at the end.  Nico's white #33 DC jersey wound up going for over $800 IIRC...and he never even wore it. 

Glad you wound up with the "right" #13. 

And in reference to the above, I can only imagine what Hughes' DC jersey(s) will go for...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And in reference to the above, I can only imagine what Hughes' DC jersey(s) will go for...

I feel like MeiGray is still placing a slight premium on Adidas jerseys, and that plus Hughes being a bigger name than Nico did at that time (to the extent a guy who has never played can), it’s probably going higher. 

Of course, assuming it’s an auction again, I guess MeiGray’s pricing doesn’t impact it. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Re: the bolded, I think the lesson learned for me is to not to get too attached to the secondary top players you bring in if you are successful in doing so. It's not a negative for teams to lose these players if you look at it the right way. Sure Nashville lost Subban, but they got a return for him, a return they wouldn't have gotten if they didn't get him on their roster in the first place. The benefit is multiplied if you attract an FA - who comes for nothing but $$$. When you attract an FA, even if you lose that FA, it most likely means you are going to get something back for him. Nothing lasts forever.

Yeah this is fair...as long as the player involved hasn't dropped off too much or is still not that far removed from more productive seasons, you can usually move him and get something back (for the same reasons that PK just was dealt)...he's cost-controlled, and in some cases, his new team will only be tied to him for a few years, as opposed to signing a comparable on the UFA market for 5+ years, at current market value.  It's not like players on long-term deals are constantly finishing them up with the team that signed them...though you definitely got to watch it with doling out NTCs.  As we've seen, some players will indeed invoke them, or use them to make sure that they only get traded to a very small number of select teams (in which case then you really can get screwed with what you get back).

Sure, of course such deals don't mean you'll necessarily get an exciting return, but if you need to open up some cap room, or a slot for a younger and cheaper player, you do whatcha gotta do. 

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah this is fair...as long as the player involved hasn't dropped off too much or is still not that far removed from more productive seasons, you can usually move him and get something back (for the same reasons that PK just was dealt)...he's cost-controlled, and in some cases, his new team will only be tied to him for a few years, as opposed to signing a comparable on the UFA market for 5+ years, at current market value.  It's not like players on long-term deals are constantly finishing them up with the team that signed them...though you definitely got to watch it with doling out NTCs.  As we've seen, some players will indeed invoke them, or use them to make sure that they only get traded to a very small number of select teams (in which case then you really can get screwed with what you get back).

Sure, of course such deals don't mean you'll necessarily get an exciting return, but if you need to open up some cap room, or a slot for a younger and cheaper player, you do whatcha gotta do. 

It's never fun losing certain players. When they come you hope they stay forever. But I've attuned myself to the fact that if the cap wasn't as hard as it is, then teams like the Devils would have a lot harder of time competing with the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings. Additionally, not every player needs to play 10+ years on your team in order for him to be regarded as a great Devil and have a great Devils legacy. Claude Lemieux played six years here, Jagr played two, Arnott played about 5.5, Friesen played two, and Mogilny played one full season. I'd argue all of the above are memorable Devils, whose time here is unlikely to be forgotten anytime soon and all, save for Jagr, were able to serve their purpose and win Cup(s) with the team.

Edited by Neb00rs

I checked out the Laughlin and Amanda Devils podcast with Hughes. It was very interesting to hear his connection to other guys we drafted. Clarke was a wing for him when he was younger, Vukojevic played baseball with him as a kid, and McCarthy and Moynihan were also teammates when he was older. Really cool that he has a chance to play with these guys in the future depending who works out here

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

It's never fun losing certain players. When they come you hope they stay forever. But I've attuned myself to the fact that if the cap wasn't as hard as it is, then teams like the Devils would have a lot harder of time competing with the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings. Additionally, not every player needs to play 10+ years on your team in order for him to be regarded as a great Devil and have a great Devils legacy. Claude Lemieux played six years here, Jagr played two, Arnott played about 5.5, Friesen played two, and Mogilny played one full season. I'd argue all of the above are memorable Devils, whose time here is unlikely to be forgotten anytime soon and all, save for Jagr, were able to serve their purpose and win Cup(s) with the team.

I never understood the love of Jagr in NJ, he had one good (not even a very good imo) year here and one meh at best.  The guy was a shell of himself here. Must of been the mullet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I checked out the Laughlin and Amanda Devils podcast with Hughes. It was very interesting to hear his connection to other guys we drafted. Clarke was a wing for him when he was younger, Vukojevic played baseball with him as a kid, and McCarthy and Moynihan were also teammates when he was older. Really cool that he has a chance to play with these guys in the future depending who works out here

Regardless, he'll get a chance to skate with them in a Devils jersey at dev camp.

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I never understood the love of Jagr in NJ, he had one good (not even a very good imo) year here and one meh at best.  The guy was a shell of himself here. Must of been the mullet.

Jagr was popular just because he’s Jagr, not because of what he did here. Good guy, but a “good Devil”? No, not even in the conversation with those other guys.

To some extent, neither is Mogilny, though Mogilny was here for a Cup which lends a little more credibility. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Jagr was popular just because he’s Jagr, not because of what he did here. Good guy, but a “good Devil”? No, not even in the conversation with those other guys.

To some extent, neither is Mogilny, though Mogilny was here for a Cup which lends a little more credibility. 

Mogs did have that insane 36 goals in 47 GP surge as a Devil to close out 2001...before going relatively dormant in the playoffs.  But he was almost looking done as a real scorer before that run...he just kind of exploded out of nowhere.  Has to be up there with the most prolific scoring bursts in Devils history.  

What was interesting about Jagr is that we saw both versions of him...the one who could quite productive (even as he aged), and the one who could be sulky and moody.  We got that version during his second season here.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mogs did have that insane 36 goals in 47 GP surge as a Devil to close out 2001...before going relatively dormant in the playoffs.  But he was almost looking done as a real scorer before that run...he just kind of exploded out of nowhere.  Has to be up there with the most prolific scoring bursts in Devils history.  

What was interesting about Jagr is that we saw both versions of him...the one who could quite productive (even as he aged), and the one who could be sulky and moody.  We got that version during his second season here.  

No doubt Mogilny has some great numbers...but was he a “great Devil” or just a great player who happened to stop here for a bit. 

I argue the latter, and i’d Include Jagr in that as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

No doubt Mogilny has some great numbers...but was he a “great Devil” or just a great player who happened to stop here for a bit. 

I argue the latter, and i’d Include Jagr in that as well. 

He wasn't a great Devil. But like I said, he was a memorable Devil whose time here was significant and largely well served.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

He wasn't a great Devil. But like I said, he was a memorable Devil whose time here was significant and largely well served.

Yeah we can go with that. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah we can go with that. 

As long as we forget post-lockout Mogilny...

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.