Devils acquire PK Subban for Santini, Davies and 2 2nds

Triumph

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Saw a bit of the press conference. Matt Loughlin, god bless him, great guy, is slowly becoming the new Stan Fischler where I cringe every time he opens his mouth.

Matt seems like a genuinely good hearted guy and a he's real ambassador for the Devils....But his voice and mannerisms absolutely make me cringe as well. I was totally fine with the radio gig but since he's started to M.C. these events I've really felt he's what's making some of these things feel somewhat second tier. 

Also when Marty was mentioning that we're coming out of the "lean" years and Matt interjected with something like, "Well it was no coincidence that's when you retired" was kind of uncomfortable. I'm sure his next interview with Cory will be pleasant. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, newarkcupparade said:

Matt seems like a genuinely good hearted guy and a he's real ambassador for the Devils....But his voice and mannerisms absolutely make me cringe as well. I was totally fine with the radio gig but since he's started to M.C. these events I've really felt he's what's making some of these things feel somewhat second tier. 

Also when Marty was mentioning that we're coming out of the "lean" years and Matt interjected with something like, "Well it was no coincidence that's when you retired" was kind of uncomfortable. I'm sure his next interview with Cory will be pleasant. 

Yeah I like Matt a lot, he’s been part of the Devils family for a long time.... but he’s getting long in the tooth, and play-by-play- particularly RADIO play-by-play for a sport like hockey that is in constant motion at high speed- is not and has never been his strength. It’s too bad they can’t throw a bunch of money at Don LaGreca to come home, but I don’t know how that would even work, given his role with 98.7 on the Kay Show.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I like Matt a lot, he’s been part of the Devils family for a long time.... but he’s getting long in the tooth, and play-by-play- particularly RADIO play-by-play for a sport like hockey that is in constant motion at high speed- is not and has never been his strength. It’s too bad they can’t throw a bunch of money at Don LaGreca to come home, but I don’t know how that would even work, given his role with 98.7 on the Kay Show.

Matt is boring as sh!t as a PBP guy, and he sucks as an emcee. I really wish we'd replace him, regardless of how long he's been with the organization....

8 hours ago, newarkcupparade said:

I will say of PK on the other hand, he's super kind in the way he responded to certain cringe questions, doing the best he could to answer and help the interviewer. Matt asked one unnecessary question a la (paraphrasing): "PK how do you feel about Newark being a majority minority city because your black wink wink..." and PK gave one hell of a phenomenal answer. I don't think it's possible he could have answered better.

This is a really decent human being.

Edited by Neb00rs

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Re bolded: I've been thinking the same thing for a while too, Don is a great PBP guy and he's a local from Hawthorne

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Devils were never not cool. The media around here blows.

Ehhh, until a few years ago, the extent of our player content and marketing were long awkward videos of exciting figures like Andy Greene and Bryce Salvador answering questions in a monotone voice about their favorite food and movies and stuff lol Jagr was the only person who made us relevant, and we clung to that. Even Parise was kind of a nerd, and Kovalchuk was just a quiet Russian, we haven't really had a personality in a long time.

15 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Ehhh, until a few years ago, the extent of our player content and marketing were long awkward videos of exciting figures like Andy Greene and Bryce Salvador answering questions in a monotone voice about their favorite food and movies and stuff lol Jagr was the only person who made us relevant, and we clung to that. Even Parise was kind of a nerd, and Kovalchuk was just a quiet Russian, we haven't really had a personality in a long time.

Agreed. The Devils were cool in a way we thought they were cool, now they are actual cool to other people as well. 

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

Thanks captain literal man.

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it all starts with being allowed to be cool... which was not permitted under the previous management. It's really. really. really not a secret

Yup, Lou didn’t permit coolness. Other than on his bald scalp.