Devils Sign Simmonds, 1 year @ $5m

jagknife

It's hard to get excited about this, Simmonds didn't have a great year last year - underlying numbers or not.

But the term and value doesn't really have any effect on us at all. 5M on the cap for 2018-19 is not going to hinder us in anything we do from this moment forward. And Simmonds is a player who, if healthy, can add 20 goals to the lineup.

I mean worst case...  it's a lockerroom move and a needed signing cap wise that gives us a pick at the deadline.

If we were strapped for cash cap-wise or if it had term, I'd be bummed...   but a season?     

Cool.  /JohnOliver

This is not bad. One year means there's almost no risk, and if he bounces back somewhat but the Devils aren't contending for a playoff spot we can retain and trade him for picks/prospects. Worst case he stinks/is injured and we are free of the cap space for next year. It's not my 5 mil.

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

as i think about it more, it's basically maroon 2.0 and since it's one year, the over pay doesn't really matter.

at worst, it's a 3rd or a 4th round pick at the deadline if the devils are out of it again this year.

Yeah, don't love Simmonds at this point in his career, but I think it's reasonable to expect 17-20 goals, one of the best net front PP guys, and some #grit. Devils need goals, #grit, and #leadership.

Solid pick up. Maybe a little higher than it should be but one year deal so low risk.

him and Subban have had a past playing together and they know eachother. He’ll give us a spark in terms of size and grit. I like it

Always liked him even though a Flyer.  As noted above, Have him ride shot gun on Hughes wing, and he's got the hands to covert Hughes passes.  I also agree with comments from above he's a good front of net presence on the power play.

• Like 1

i kind of see the whole thing going down like Winston Zeddemore getting the Ghostbusters gig. 

"Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?"

"Ah, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

All I can say I'm not disappointed. Despite the bad year he'll definitely bring toughness and grit. I'm annoyed with our players constantly getting their butts kicked in scraps. With him and PK in the lineup other teams will think twice before going after us. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

According to Dani Mohr in the NY Post, the Simmons’s signing is a continuance of our domination of the offseason. 

Hmmmm. Simmonds was invisible on a good Nashville team I believe putting up something  a goal and two assists in 17 games and no points in the playoffs. 5M for that? There's no downside I guess but there's something odd about the numbers they don't quite line up.  Onto the next one I guess. 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Hmmmm. Simmonds was invisible on a good Nashville team I believe putting up something  a goal and two assists in 17 games and no points in the playoffs. 5M for that? There's no downside I guess but there's something odd about the numbers they don't quite line up.  Onto the next one I guess. 

No no no...it’s DOMINATION. 

Not entirely crazy about this deal but this made me feel slightly better - from MM / nhl.com :

Simmonds had surgery May 1, 2018 to repair a pelvis tear on his right side and a torn abdominal muscle on his left side. He also missed the Predators final three playoff games after being hit in the knee with a shot during Game 2 of the Western Conference First Round against the Dallas Stars.

"When you have (pelvis and groin) surgery like that they tell you to take 9-12 months to recover," Simmonds said. "It's safe to say it kind of hurt me a little bit last year but at the same time I'm going to continue to play hockey to help my team. Last year, from those surgeries I didn't get a lot of time to train in the summer and the summer was spent primarily rehabbing so there were a lot of ups and downs last year. I've already been in the gym for six weeks this year so it's going to be a big change and I'm just looking forward to proving everybody wrong to be honest with you."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I am fine with Simmonds.

The Devils need his grit and leadership.

Unless his skills have completely left him at the grand old age of 31, then this was a good deal.

Agreed. And I’m not debating whether $5m/1yr is too much money, as it’s irrelevant this year. 

Over the past 4 seasons I believe he averaged 3 fights per season.  Not saying his game is know soft, but I don't think his game is feared by anyone at this point.  At that rate we may need to reacquire Gabriel, Farnham and/or LeBlond