Hobby’s Deli Fire

mikemarc1

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Saw an update that Hobby's will be ready for take out orders in a few days.  However, they are still a few weeks out from opening the dining room back up.

Sounds like they will be open in time for the hockey season, so that’s good at least.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, mikemarc1 said:

Reading about a pretty bad fire at Hobbys 

They always seemed Iike huge Devil supporters. Hope they get back on their feet!! 

PS: Wasn’t there a forum for arena/Newark talk once..where did that go? 

The place is packed with Devils memorabilia. They're super involved with the Devils.

The first time I went in there, I was wearing a Scott Gomez jersey that I had taped the day he signed with the Rangers. It fell off in the car on the way to the arena, but the tape had left some residue behind. Someone I presume to be an owner came out and chatted with me, asking me why I had decided to take the tape off (it was probably 2011 or 2012 at this point). I told him I had no idea the tape was gone, and it must've just fallen off. He went behind the counter, came out with a roll of duct tape, and re-taped it himself. The same piece of tape is still on that jersey. 

• Like 5

Just to add to Hobby's Deli stories: On the Patty Jersey Retirement game day me and thecoffecake hit up Hobby's wearing green hats and one of the owners came out and chatted with us. He told us that the hat Patty wore on the ice after the St Patrick's day game years ago came from Hobby's (they were giving out on St Patrick's day that year) and he even had one they had kept up on the wall. Cool people.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, WaffleFries said:

Just to add to Hobby's Deli stories: On the Patty Jersey Retirement game day me and thecoffecake hit up Hobby's wearing green hats and one of the owners came out and chatted with us. He told us that the hat Patty wore on the ice after the St Patrick's day game years ago came from Hobby's (they were giving out on St Patrick's day that year) and he even had one they had kept up on the wall. Cool people.

Sounds like we'll have to get hubby's before the prospects game.

Edit: I wonder what autocorrect is telling me, here.

Edited by thecoffeecake
  • Haha 1

A friend of mine texted me a pic of himself getting lunch at Hobby's today, so they're open for takeout now. Told him best case scenario for opening the dining room is sometime next week. Again, that's best case....

On the topic of what great guys Mark and Michael are:
A couple seasons ago I was to meet my wife there for dinner before a game. She drove from home, and I took the train from NY to Newark and walked from the station. It was POURING rain so hard that my umbrella was completely useless. When I got there I was soaked. Mark asked me what size shirt I wear, and gave me a free Hobby's shirt and a plastic bag to put my wet shirt in. Totally above and beyond the call of duty. Great guys, & a great deli.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

A friend of mine texted me a pic of himself getting lunch at Hobby's today, so they're open for takeout now. Told him best case scenario for opening the dining room is sometime next week. Again, that's best case....

On the topic of what great guys Mark and Michael are:
A couple seasons ago I was to meet my wife there for dinner before a game. She drove from home, and I took the train from NY to Newark and walked from the station. It was POURING rain so hard that my umbrella was completely useless. When I got there I was soaked. Mark asked me what size shirt I wear, and gave me a free Hobby's shirt and a plastic bag to put my wet shirt in. Totally above and beyond the call of duty. Great guys, & a great deli.

I have to make it a priority to get there this season. Those guys sound like amazing people.

Edited by MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have to make it a priority to get there this season. Those guys sound like amazing people.

I've been thinking the same ever since the commercial and the King Henrik soup, way before the fire. It's just that as it happens, I am usually not by the arena until just before game time most of the times that I go. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

I read that donations were pouring in the first couple days, but I have not seen anything in their social media about any specific fundraising effort. 

I’m sure insurance is picking up most of the tab. That’s what it’s for.

Edited by MadDog2020

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

His contract was already up and he signed a new one out there. Great guy, good player, but he’s made his choice. 

He would have been foolish to say no to a 5yr contract in SoCal at 29 years old.