2019 Development Camp thread

MadDog2020

Seeing so many names I don't recognize really makes me miss thefiestygoat's seemingly daily Devils' prospect updates :( 

Obviously Hughes, Smith and Boqvist are the big names, but who else are people most interested in looking at?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Seeing so many names I don't recognize really makes me miss thefiestygoat's seemingly daily Devils' prospect updates :( 

Obviously Hughes, Smith and Boqvist are the big names, but who else are people most interested in looking at?

Looking forward to seeing the silky mitts of Graeme Clarke that I've been hearing so much about

They are charging $5 for each of these events now, the 3v3 tournament on Wednesday and the red vs white scrimmage on Saturday. I know it's not a lot of money and they say they are donating it to the Devils charity but after the team sucked again last year, they took some perks away and raised ticket prices it really is more of just an annoyance/principal that they are charging for these now. 

Anyway, I had held off on buying tickets for Wednesday because I wanted to see if US women were gonna win the world cup and have another parade, which happens to be Wednesday as well so I'm going to that instead.

I'm going to the scrimmage on Saturday though which is fine by me because it's the better of the two events anyway.

Edited by Satans Hockey

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They are charging $5 for each of these events now, the 3v3 tournament on Wednesday and the red vs white scrimmage on Saturday. I know it's not a lot of money and they say they are donating it to the Devils charity but after the team sucked again last year, they took some perks away and raised ticket prices it really is more of just an annoyance/principal that they are charging for these now. 

Anyway, I had held off on buying tickets for Wednesday because I wanted to see if US women were gonna win the world cup and have another parade, which happens to be Wednesday as well so I'm going to that instead.

I'm going to the scrimmage on Saturday though which is fine by me because it's the better of the two events anyway.

Do you know where I can find tickets to the Saturday scrimmage?  I saw the Wednesday sale on twitter but couldn't find Saturday.

29 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Walsh: nearly a point per game defenseman in his sophomore year at Harvard

Maltsev: mostly because we haven't seen much of him but I have a feeling he will impress

Studenic

Any of the 2019 draft picks, but particularly Okhotyuk, Moynihan, and McCarthy. Also interested to see Pasic.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'll be watching McLeod closely. Speed plays in today's game and I'm not ready to give up on him yet. 

Same for me, on all points.  All you have to do is watch some of his highlights in the minors to remember how he used to cut through the zone and could go end to end quickly - not sure why that hasn't translated well to the NHL just yet, but I believe he's still got potential, and I think it would be worth our while to try to see what we can get out of him before deeming him a bust.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Same for me, on all points.  All you have to do is watch some of his highlights in the minors to remember how he used to cut through the zone and could go end to end quickly - not sure why that hasn't translated well to the NHL just yet, but I believe he's still got potential, and I think it would be worth our while to try to see what we can get out of him before deeming him a bust.

I feel the same about him. He was used to being the fastest guy on the ice, he might just be having an issue adjusting to the speed. The skills are there 

I've given up on McLeod for the most part.  I just don't see him being any better than a AAAA level player.

As for the 3 on 3 and tournament, I am speaking 100% for myself when I say I really don't get how people find those interesting.  I am not going to take a half or full day on Wednesday to see a bunch of prospects, most of whom will be bagging groceries in a few years, play a mini-tournament at half-speed.  Same with the scrimmage.  I feel the exact same way as those open practices they have had over the past 2-3 seasons as I find them to be beyond boring.  The whole appeal to the practices of the old days at SMU was the opportunity to get impromptu autographs from these players before and after.  Now everything is well planned out and the players are largely kept away from the fans.

I digress but outside of Hughes, Smith and maybe 3-4 others, the rest I couldn't care less about.

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

You're not missing anything and the parade will probably be 100x more fun anyways.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

He’s played what, 15 NHL games? Can’t say that just yet.

I guess.  I just won't hold my breath after seeing players like JJ given more than enough time to make an impact only to come up short.

Maybe McLeod will luck himself into a hot wife like JJ did and even things out in his life.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I guess.  I just won't hold my breath after seeing players like JJ given more than enough time to make an impact only to come up short.

Maybe McLeod will luck himself into a hot wife like JJ did and even things out in his life.

what`s a problem to give another chance and  some time with better partners for prospect when we have some roster spots and better partners? He played only 15 games.

Just now, Guadana said:

what`s a problem to give another chance and  some time with better partners for prospect when we have some roster spots and better partners? He played only 15 games.

Given how our lineup is starting to likely look like in October, McLeod maybe has a chance of being on the 3rd line.  However, likely if he makes it he will be on the fourth line.  I do not see him doing better in those spots than what he has already showed.

He is also in his fourth development camp.  That doesn't bode well for a guy who was chosen #12 overall and is 1 year away from Q territory.

I am not saying he will certainly fail again this year, but I will not hold my breath on him finally figuring things out this season and making the team full-time.

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

I'll be watching McLeod closely. Speed plays in today's game and I'm not ready to give up on him yet. 

I mean, I guess he's fast. He hasn't impressed me in the slightest yet. Even Zacha has had explosions of adequacy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Got my #86 Hughes jersey in the mail on Monday from Cool Hockey, so I'll be rocking that at the scrimmage on Saturday. 

In other news, EPS probably hasn't even opened the box I shipped mine in.