2019 Development Camp thread

MadDog2020

Man I'll echo what others have said already.. Hughes really does look small out there.  He's got some filling out to do.

I think there's zero chance he's not in the NHL next year, but Hynes definitely needs to protect him with his matchups.

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

People were lining outside the rink today at 7:30.  Do people work?

It’s summer. Teachers and administrators are on vacation. Also, people take time off. Also also- that’s pretty awesome. Shows there’s a buzz and people are excited.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

People were lining outside the rink today at 7:30.  Do people work?

Increasingly I find the answer to be “nope”. So many people I know either work from home or have jobs that are so flexible they never seem to actually go to them. 

That said, one could take a day off to go to an event like today’s if they have the vacation time. Even a half day would suffice. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Increasingly I find the answer to be “nope”. So many people I know either work from home or have jobs that are so flexible they never seem to actually go to them. 

That said, one could take a day off to go to an event like today’s if they have the vacation time. Even a half day would suffice. 

I know I have taken time off to attend events people would find to be dumb, but to me taking even a half day to watch kids play a 3-on-3 mini tournament at half speed for an hour is insane.

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled if I said "lol is that guy taking time off to go to a store that sells sweaty shirts old grown men have worn?"

He might have you there lol. 

in other news, I just got an email stating that the Devils have acquired me, with a picture of my jersey between those of Hughes and Subban. 

Am I supposed to be over at the rink right now? Because I am very, very late...

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know I have taken time off to attend events people would find to be dumb, but to me taking even a half day to watch kids play a 3-on-3 mini tournament at half speed for an hour is insane.

That's because you don't have kids and you don't know what kind of dumb sh!t you have to take a half day off for. A Devils related event is nowhere near the top of that list!!

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It appears as though whoever is filming this has never held a camera in their entire life. Even as eager as I was to watch, I had to close it down.

I thought the same thing, they switched to an overhead view though so hopefully they stick with that. Hughes just scored a one-time goal, so got to see that from the overhead angle, Reilly Walsh with the set up

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I thought the same thing, they switched to an overhead view though so hopefully they stick with that. Hughes just scored a one-time goal, so got to see that from the overhead angle.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You could phrase it as "kids play 3-on-3 mini tournament" or you could say "the first opportunity to see the best prospect in the history of our rich franchise play his first game in a Devils sweater." Pretty sure the first 150 or 200 people there get to meet him, too.

I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled if I said "lol is that guy taking time off to go to a store that sells sweaty shirts old grown men have worn?"

Expo is on a Saturday and I have not taken time off to go to a store to buy them.  Sorry.

And to say he is playing his first game is a HHHUUUGGGEEE stretch.

Edited by DevsMan84

Also, the team should not be tweeting with emojis now that Kinkaid is gone. Just say he scored a goal, we don't need pictures of goal lights anymore. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

And to say he is playing his first game is a HHHUUUGGGEEE stretch.

I don't even consider 3 on 3 in overtime in an NHL game to be "playing hockey"...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's because you don't have kids and you don't know what kind of dumb sh!t you have to take a half day off for. A Devils related event is nowhere near the top of that list!!

It's your kids and that's important.  You take days off for your kids, not to see a kid who is not related to you and will be making far more money than you this year alone than most of us will in the next few years combined.

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not to interrupt the theme of this thread, which is to crap on people wanting to see a little hockey, but Hughes looks incredible from what I'm seeing on the stream. Amazing puck protection on one of those plays and then no look passing to an open team mate

He did well against kids who will never even make it to the AHL in their careers.

You know, against What's His Name and Who's That?

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's your kids and that's important.  You take days off for your kids, not to see a kid who is not related to you and will be making far more money than you this year alone than most of us will in the next few years combined.

Speak for yourself!!

No, actually, you can speak for me too. 

I would have considered going if my daughter was available, I think she would've enjoyed it. But I don't think I would have gone, while I have managed to go 7 months taking only one day off, I still have all of my vacation time planned out between now and the end of the year.