2019 Development Camp thread

MadDog2020

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Who did he play with and how many of them, if any, were NHL caliber players?

He played with Anderson and I can't remember who else.  So the answer is a little bit.

image.thumb.png.4c36f75c7336e082be3a0fc8584f90b9.png

Cangy sniped me in the bottom of his photo.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

“why don’t we use Boquest to get a PMD?!?” 

-this place, probably

One thing we're not lacking is PMD between Butcher, Sammy, PK, Smitty. 

Really liked what I saw from Gignac a few times, hard on the forecheck and crafty with the puck in the attacking zone. Pop was fun to watch. He looks like a traditional stay at home defenseman with his body type and the way he moves, funny seeing him playing forward for some reason. 

Didn't catch much of the white team. I was down in the corner right against the glass on the side red was shooting.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 2:52 PM, Crisis said:

He played with Anderson and I can't remember who else.  So the answer is a little bit.

image.thumb.png.4c36f75c7336e082be3a0fc8584f90b9.png

Cangy sniped me in the bottom of his photo.

Cangy sniped me as well, I'm in the Hughes jersey above you ;) Was awesome getting to get my hockey fix in the middle of July, thanks again to @Satans Hockey for the hookup on the tickets, you're a beauty :cheers:

This year's scrimmage felt like the most talent we've ever had at one camp, really fun group to watch, including some guys that really stood out that wasn't really expecting. My Top 5 outside of Hughes:

Jesper Boqvist – Everyone's kinda already talked about this kid already, but holy sh!t was he good. There's a reason why I've been all over this kid since we've drafted, he's so quick and skilled and he's noticeably worked on becoming a more interior player instead of being stuck on the perimeter. He was flying all day and had a nice shootout goal as well, I'll eat my hat if he's not in the lineup on opening night. Boqvist is gonna be a player in this league, fellas.

Mikhail Maltsev – I thought Maltsev was arguably the best player on the ice on Saturday, every shift he had he had he made a positive impact for the Red team and clearly such a smart player. Skates well, has some size, was a really responsible two-way guy as well that could win some faceoffs. Had a really nice set up Popugaev's goal, I wouldn't sleep on this kid pushing for that 4th line spot alongside guys like Anderson and Bastian, the organization seems really high on him.

Nikita Popugaev – Beyond the goal, I thought this was the best I'd seen Popugaev in awhile. He was playing a lot smarter than I've seen him the past, willing to slow the play down a bit and set up breakouts with his defensemen but when he had the puck on his stick he was like a freight train going down the side board. I thought his hands looked smoother on a few occasions than when I saw him in Binghamton, and there was one great moment when he just gave Pakkila the cold shoulder Jagr style when he had the puck. He was awesome, he's one of those guys that could blow up if he develops the right way, hopefully he takes a big step in Bing this year, he's fighting for his career at this point.

Michael Vukojevic – I thought Vukojevic was the best defenseman on Saturday, thought he was really solid defensively but then on the offensive side of the puck I really liked what I saw. Feel like I underrated how good of a skater he is when I saw him play in Kitchener last year, but he seems like he can really skate which is awesome for a guy with his size. Had a few good moments where he used his skating to jump into the play both on the rush and during extended looks in the offensive zone, and his shootout goal was a thing of beauty. Seems like he has a ton of personality, too.

Ty Smith – Smitty was great as well and was his usual self. Really smart on the puck and I honestly can't recall any mistakes he made, but I remember quite a few brilliant breakout passes that he made. He's such a good passer and skater and he's going to do wonders for our transition game next season, he obviously doesn't have elite level hands like a Quinn Hughes or Cale Makar but I think he's right up there with those two in terms of hockey sense.

Some other honorable mentions were McLeod, Bastian, Reilly Walsh, Xavier Bernard, and Gilles Senn. McLeod I thought looked quick out there and had a few shifts where he was excellent on the cycle game, same with Bastian on the cycle and he was physically dominant when protecting the puck. Walsh made a few good jump ups into the offensive zone and I liked how active he was, picked up an assist as well. Bernard seems a lot quicker and smoother than the last time I saw him, and he seems like he's developing more two-way game instead of being just another stay-at-home guy. Gilles Senn I thought was the best goalie, it's hard to get a read on goaltenders in things like this but I thought he looked rock solid and his body language looked good in terms of poise and positioning, wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter in Binghamton this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Cangy sniped me as well, I'm in the Hughes jersey above you ;) 

Look at that, ships passing in the night and you didn’t even know it. 

I wonder how many times I’ve been in the vicinity of an NJDevs member and not known it...

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

(player impressions)

Thanks for the write up. It's good to hear that Maltsev impressed. He is my dark horse vote for a player that really impresses this season, even if that means in Binghamton. He seems like a physical, high energy kind of guy who can bring a lot of what Coleman does.

Did you (or anyone else who was able to watch) have any thoughts on Okhotyuk? I get the feeling that the organization must have been super high on him given that they traded down and still arguably drafted him early.

53 minutes ago, nessus said:

Thanks for the write up. It's good to hear that Maltsev impressed. He is my dark horse vote for a player that really impresses this season, even if that means in Binghamton. He seems like a physical, high energy kind of guy who can bring a lot of what Coleman does.

Did you (or anyone else who was able to watch) have any thoughts on Okhotyuk? I get the feeling that the organization must have been super high on him given that they traded down and still arguably drafted him early.

I'm really intrigued to see more of him in the OHL next year, he can really skate and he seems like a real physical player too, blanking on who it was he hit but he laid a real solid check on someone at the blue line during the scrimmage. Russia might be an interesting team for us to watch at the World Juniors this year, could see us having up to three players on the team in Misyul (lock, IMO), Gritsyuk, and Okhotyuk.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

i don't find it weird at all...i love when alumni stay involved, whether its as an actual coach, or "special assignment" or whatever. 

I was going to say the same thing - not weird, it makes sense.  You, we, I - all of us - we respect, admire, and love guys like Elias and Brylin who were staples of our organization for so long and helped us achieve what we achieved and become the franchise we were/are known for.  Having them there and present is sort of like a comfort and reassurance that we're being watched over by a higher power.  If this corp of players at development camp gets the approval of Brylin and Elias, then I think that leaves most of us feeling pretty optimistic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was going to say the same thing - not weird, it makes sense.  You, we, I - all of us - we respect, admire, and love guys like Elias and Brylin who were staples of our organization for so long and helped us achieve what we achieved and become the franchise we were/are known for.  Having them there and present is sort of like a comfort and reassurance that we're being watched over by a higher power.  If this corp of players at development camp gets the approval of Brylin and Elias, then I think that leaves most of us feeling pretty optimistic. 

It’s why I don’t mind Dano being the color guy despite his obvious limitations. Having one of the most recognizable guys in the history of your franchise hanging around is good for building a team tradition. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

i don't find it weird at all...i love when alumni stay involved, whether its as an actual coach, or "special assignment" or whatever. 

Same. I think what we're seeing is that we're now able to be a team that can celebrate a legacy; and a very proud legacy at that. Current and future Hall of Fame players, Stanley Cup winners, record-breakers: we have a stable of these high end talents and careers, all retired now and part of our legacy.

It's good to have them around and keep them involved with the team to remind the fans, the prospects, and the media that we are a proud and winning franchise full of history and elite players who loved playing here, and enjoy coming back. Tradition is important to hold onto during transitional times like this, and hopefully gets guys like Jack Hughes, P.K. Subban, Taylor Hall, etc. all itching to write new chapters in our story.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm glad the new regime - from the owners down - have really embraced the heritage/history of the Devils.

It'd be easy to sort of 'close the door' on some of these guys (not Elias so much, but your Brylin's, Grant Marshall's, etc.) but as far as I can tell management has really decided to embrace them.  

Really happy to see it.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I'm just happy they're embracing the history of the Newark Bulldogs, I thought they were lost in the annals of time until we thankfully added the black stripe on the bottom of the jerseys.

Yeah, they should have Bulldogs Night and wear throwbacks and all dogs get in for free. 

• Haha 2