Gusev to the Devils CONFIRMED

Neb00rs

7 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

We really can't trade Palmieri. We need his goals. Gusev is primarily a passer and a really good one at that...not that he can't shoot, but that it's not his game. He's a very high skill player who tends to dish the puck. As much as I like Gusev, we also can't get ahead of ourselves with him. He projects to be a Top-6 forward - as to whether he can be a stand out top line player, well...that is yet to be seen and probably above his expected ceiling as of right now. He has work to do to improve his defensive play and I'll wait to see if his skating can keep up - Hughes, Hall, Bratt, Boqvist, and Hischier are all better/faster skaters from the looks of it.

Completely agree with this regarding Palmieri. We need shooters. Hischier, Hall, Gusev,  and Hughes lean more towards setting up plays than finishing them from what ive seen. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Makes me kind of wonder if Palmieri might be traded to address the lack of talent on the left side of our defense. Gusev is capable of playing the first line, and if the Devils get to camp and it's clear that Boqvist oughta get top-6 minutes, Palmieri is an attractive player that can net 30 goals, with a relatively cheap cap hit. 

Just thinking out loud. 

The defense overall is adequate and you don’t need a stacked group like Nashville to win.  On the other hand, you can’t have too many players who are capable of scoring goals.  

Just now, Daniel said:

The defense overall is adequate and you don’t need a stacked group like Nashville to win.  On the other hand, you can’t have too many players who are capable of scoring goals.  

Daniel - i`m asking you about shero job without trolling or anything that way.

Are you satisfied? 

52 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I didn’t mean literally today, just that Hall should have the info he needs now to make a decision. The roster for 2019-20 is pretty much set now.

i think it COULD be set, but it may not be. i suspect there's one more rabbit to be pulled out of the hat. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i think it COULD be set, but it may not be. i suspect there's one more rabbit to be pulled out of the hat. 

Possibly.... Ray is always working the phones. But I think I the majority of his work is done, outside of dotting I’s and crossing T’s.

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

hopefully his game translates into the nhl, we've seen how this has backfired before.. look at kovy when he came back he was space junk. If he is the real deal this team is going to impress

Or you could compare to Panarin who also came from the KHL 😉

Edited by Devs3cups

So, again, just in case you might not have faith in our ownership group:

This is what real teams do, and I fvcking love to see it.

Ray went to ownership and said "would you be willing to cut a $4.3M check tomorrow for a guy I'd like to bring in" and nobody objected.

They're the real deal, folks.  They're able and, most importantly, willing to invest in the team.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Or you could compare to Panarin who also came from the KHL 😉

There's obviously a bunch of player who came over and failed completely. Some did pretty well too. i think Radulov could be a good comparison since he's also more of a playmaker.

When Radulov was 26 he got 63 pts in 50 games in the KHL and 7 pts in 9 games in the NHL.

the next season when he was 27 he got 68 points in 48 pts in the KHL. 

At 26 Gusev just had his best season with 82 points in 62 games. So hopefully it will translate to the NHL. 

So maybe now some of the louder complainers will FINALLY realize that July 1 or 2 are not THE drop-dead dates to make moves to improve your team?

54 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yes, but want to see how things play out with Hall.

If Hall did decide not to sign at this point, I don’t put it on Shero at all.  Shero’s clearly worked to improve the team and done so intelligently.  

That being said, I haven’t wavered on this at all...I still think this gets done.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

There's obviously a bunch of player who came over and failed completely. Some did pretty well too. i think Radulov could be a good comparison since he's also more of a playmaker.

When Radulov was 26 he got 63 pts in 50 games in the KHL and 7 pts in 9 games in the NHL.

the next season when he was 27 he got 68 points in 48 pts in the KHL. 

At 26 Gusev just had his best season with 82 points in 62 games. So hopefully it will translate to the NHL. 

Oh I wasn’t saying that Gusev would translate to Panarin, I was just suggesting that there were also good cases where players came to the NHL and had success, not only bad ones.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Makes me kind of wonder if Palmieri might be traded to address the lack of talent on the left side of our defense. Gusev is capable of playing the first line, and if the Devils get to camp and it's clear that Boqvist oughta get top-6 minutes, Palmieri is an attractive player that can net 30 goals, with a relatively cheap cap hit. 

Just thinking out loud. 

Palms LOVES it here...I didn’t realize how prideful he is of playing for his home team (even though he grew up a Rangers fan) until I met him...and NJ is simply very much home to him.  I don’t think he wants to play anywhere else.  

I do think his next contract negotiation will be an interesting one...Palms at $7 million plus, for his age 30 and beyond years, is rather iffy.  If he’s looking for a real payday, Devils may not be able to oblige.  

And man, the 2019-20 season cannot start soon enough...goddamn...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Hall did decide not to sign at this point, I don’t put it on Shero at all.  Shero’s clearly worked to improve the team and done so intelligently.  

Yeah, I mean, I've been the first one to highlight how difficult a decision it is for Hall - for any player, especially one who hasn't won much, to decide where he's going to play the prime of his career. But Hall asked for talent and Shero said, "Here's the top NHL draft prospect, the best player in the world outside of the NHL, and a Norris Trophy-winning defenseman. If Hall decides to walk now, no one can lay any blame on Shero.

Agreed that it's most likely Hall re-ups.

• Like 1