Gusev to the Devils CONFIRMED

Neb00rs

Sorry I'm late to the game. I just got back from vacation.
If this guy is half as good as this thread make it seems he is, why is Vegas willing to get rid of him for a few picks? Why didn't they use him in the playoffs last year?
It seems like there is a lot of wishful thinking involved.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

If this guy is half as good as this thread make it seems he is, why is Vegas willing to get rid of him for a few picks? Why didn't they use him in the playoffs last year?

Vegas's big obstacle to keeping him was their cap situation.  My guess is that he didn't play in the playoffs last year because he joined the team right when they started, and unlike guys like Kreider and Makar didn't participate in the team's development camp and was not ready to jump right in to a playoff series and deal with the smaller ice.

I agree though that people should be a bit skeptical that he'll be an immediate 60 point player, or something like that. 

54 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Vegas was capped out. He didn’t play in the playoffs because he wasn’t under contract. He was playing in the KHL last year. 

Vegas was capped out. He didn’t play in the playoffs because he wasn’t under contract. He was playing in the KHL last year. 
Per TSN: "Gusev came over to North America to join the Golden Knights during the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs but did not play in any games"

18 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Per TSN: "Gusev came over to North America to join the Golden Knights during the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs but did not play in any games"

I have no idea then. Ask Gerard Gallant.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i mean... if Makar was able to go from playing for an university to play in the playoffs right away with the Avs and do well.. you'd think the best player of the 2nd league in the league could figure it out

You're right that it's something that gives you pause that he's a sure thing, and what the Devils gave up to get him and the contract they signed him to indicate they understand he's not a sure thing.  However. the difference is that the Gusev and Vegas were much less familiar with one another than Colorado was with Makar. 

The way I see it, Gusev could be found money, but I would still be looking to improve the team if there's a move out there to be made.

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You're right that it's something that gives you pause that he's a sure thing, and what the Devils gave up to get him and the contract they signed him to indicate they understand he's not a sure thing.  However. the difference is that the Gusev and Vegas were much less familiar with one another than Colorado was with Makar. 

The way I see it, Gusev could be found money, but I would still be looking to improve the team if there's a move out there to be made.

also maybe Gusev doesn't understand english too well.. that would obviously make it difficult to jump on a new team, new system and all. 

Makar can easily get things explained to him if he needed anything

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You're right that it's something that gives you pause that he's a sure thing

Not really. Coaches fvck up all the time.

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

also maybe Gusev doesn't understand english too well.. that would obviously make it difficult to jump on a new team, new system and all. 

Makar can easily get things explained to him if he needed anything

This is also a relevant point.

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

VGK has one of those most solidified top sixes in the league. Gusev really has no place lower down in the lineup either. He's a skill player who is flawed defensively.

Obviously also because of the question marks with his skating and defensive play, Vegas saw him as not worth the price this year and not worth a shot in the playoffs last year.

Edited by Neb00rs

14 minutes ago, aylbert said:

This...  and also; I don't put McDavid with Gretzky...  I group him with Crosby and Ovie.   Amazing, generational talent... but not Gretzky. 

Agreed, and also, only so far. Never know what will happen, couple of concussions and he could still never realize his full potential. Play 10 years and we’ll talk about nobody else being allowed to have your number. 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Of course there’s a chance he busts, but he was dominating the KHL. Put up better numbers than Panarin in Panarin’s KHL seasons, much better than dadanov (who came over and immediately contributed). 

He’s got elite vision and skating and a pretty good shot. Most people thought it would take a 1st and a prospect to get him from Vegas.

So he’s clearly better than Panarin for half the price. We rule, fvck the Rangers!

The McDavid/Hughes number stuff is hilarious. Basically it's a dog days of summer hockey argument. Oilers fans are starting to get a bit of a simmering hatred now for the Devils because of the one for one thing

• Like 3

Just now, '7' said:

The McDavid/Hughes number stuff is hilarious. Basically it's a dog days of summer hockey argument. Oilers fans are starting to get a bit of a simmering hatred now for the Devils because of the one for one thing

I kind of like that.

• Like 2