Gusev to the Devils CONFIRMED

Neb00rs

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

could you imagine if he somehow was? lolol man. 

That would be amazing. The only thing that would be better is if the Rangers wind up buying him out a few years down the road. 

• Like 2

The McDavid/Hughes number stuff is hilarious. Basically it's a dog days of summer hockey argument. Oilers fans are starting to get a bit of a simmering hatred now for the Devils because of the one for one thing

• Like 3

Just now, '7' said:

The McDavid/Hughes number stuff is hilarious. Basically it's a dog days of summer hockey argument. Oilers fans are starting to get a bit of a simmering hatred now for the Devils because of the one for one thing

I kind of like that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

Of course there’s a chance he busts, but he was dominating the KHL. Put up better numbers than Panarin in Panarin’s KHL seasons, much better than dadanov (who came over and immediately contributed). 

He’s got elite vision and skating and a pretty good shot. Most people thought it would take a 1st and a prospect to get him from Vegas.

Re: the bolded, NO.

I think we have to remember what we paid for. This guy isn't Panarin, at least not at this time. He's getting $4.5 million, that doesn't buy you the best player in the world in most instances. There's a chance he greatly exceeds that, but if he's performing to the level of that contract, what is he, a 40-50 point guy?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Poor Oilers fans... will they ever feel joy again?

Just imagine.

they have best or may be second best player in the world and after that oilers still can’t get in playoff. And the Ghost of Tavares story is flying in the air.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Re: the bolded, NO.

Oh, interesting. Care to explain? My response was based on watching highlight videos and reading fans comments, so it's certainly not any expert analysis. 

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Oh, interesting. Care to explain? My response was based on watching highlight videos and reading fans comments, so it's certainly not any expert analysis. 

I mean when just about any NHL caliber player, or close to it, is headed up ice with the puck in highlight videos it seems fast. Watch Bobby Brink highlights and you'll be impressed as well, and left wondering why everyone criticizes his skating. The skill assessment is all relative, to other really good hockey players. They can all skate at a high level. But no, Gusev is not an elite skater. He's not very explosive and doesn't have elite speed. He's not the worst skater though - don't get me wrong. 

Gusev is definitely going to feature on the power play for the Devils. Like you say, he's got excellent vision, and he can certainly dish the puck with the best of them. And also as you say, he's got a better shot than you'd expect of a pass first player.

He's somewhat weak defensively and there's little physicality to his game - he's not a big player either - so there's some risk. He's 27, not 18 - so these traits aren't just going to disappear with a bit of development. I imagine this scared a lot of teams away with the $4.5M ask. 

It's not much of a risk for the Devils though - a team with cap space. I mean, the way I see it, if he plays in the top six consistently the worst Gusev could do over 82 games is 40 points. For 4.5M would you call that a disaster? I wouldn't. It's not impossible he could score 70-80 either. This is not just some random Russian, he's been the KHLs best player for a few years now. 

There's a lot of reasons that KHL players either boom or bust in the NHL, but the fact stands that the KHL is not an easy league to score in. If you light it up there, you most likely have the ability to produce in the NHL. The whole "will the points translate to the NHL?" talk is overblown. It's the other parts of these players' games that prevents them from getting the opportunities necessary to produce. 

Edited by Neb00rs

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

There's some people who dismiss his skating because he doesn't burn down the wing the way someone like Hall can, speed isn't his greatest asset, but that's not really who he is. Where he excels is with his agility, he's a very agile skater and can make quick cuts to find more open space rather than flying into open pockets on the ice. He creates his offense from holding on to the puck and buying time with his vision, puck skills, and agility, which is why he's such a beast on zone entries and on the powerplay. You can fly down the wing like Miles Wood as much as you want, but it doesn't mean much if you don't have the smarts to match it. Gusev's smarts alongside his elusiveness are what make him a dangerous player, rather than some players who create their opportunities with speed and power.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I have read reports that say he's not the quickest player and that he has holes in his defensive play but he boy has he got some skills. Can't wait to see him play. I found this short clip on youtube that's fairly entertaining.

Holy sh!t!

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I have read reports that say he's not the quickest player and that he has holes in his defensive play but he boy has he got some skills. Can't wait to see him play. I found this short clip on youtube that's fairly entertaining.

Well Andy Greene can probably do that too. Not sure what's so impressive about it.......

42 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

There's some people who dismiss his skating because he doesn't burn down the wing the way someone like Hall can, speed isn't his greatest asset, but that's not really who he is. Where he excels is with his agility, he's a very agile skater and can make quick cuts to find more open space rather than flying into open pockets on the ice. He creates his offense from holding on to the puck and buying time with his vision, puck skills, and agility, which is why he's such a beast on zone entries and on the powerplay. You can fly down the wing like Miles Wood as much as you want, but it doesn't mean much if you don't have the smarts to match it. Gusev's smarts alongside his elusiveness are what make him a dangerous player, rather than some players who create their opportunities with speed and power.

I'm not sure I'm with you. People don't dismiss his skating because he doesn't burn down the wing like Hall. They dismiss it because just about everything he does on skates is average (and a little ugly). Yes, his straight line skating is the biggest weak point but he doesn't have elite edge work either - I suppose it can be called, just good. That was true when he was drafted and is still true today. 

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I'm not sure I'm with you. People don't dismiss his skating because he doesn't burn down the wing like Hall. They dismiss it because just about everything he does on skates is average (and a little ugly). Yes, his straight line skating is the biggest weak point but he doesn't have elite edge work either - I suppose it can be called, just good. That was true when he was drafted and is still true today. 

his skating will "appear" even worst if he's skating next to Hughes too lol

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't necessarily agree with that, he's not elite on his edges like Hughes is, but at least I find he can cut and change direction well and it's part of what makes him slippery when you combine it with his puck skills. I find it disingenuous when people say he's a weak skater, he gets around the ice fine, and his agility is better than his top speed is.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't necessarily agree with that, he's not elite on his edges like Hughes is, but at least I find he can cut and change direction well and it's part of what makes him slippery when you combine it with his puck skills. I find it disingenuous when people say he's a weak skater, he gets around the ice fine, and his agility is better than his top speed is.

I mean sure, he's not the worst skater - I don't remember if I said he's a "weak skater" or not but if I did or anyone else did that's a mistatement. I did say his skating is his biggest weak point and that it certainly isn't elite. Moreover, I don't think anyone should get their hopes up that he's going to use his feet to make things happen. I just hope that it doesn't take away from everything that he does REALLY well. And that's the big question. That and price is why Vegas didn't pull out the stops to keep a player who produced ridiculously well in Russia. What I like is that Gusev likes to control the puck, so in any case, his line is going to have to pace with him. 

Edited by Neb00rs