Devils sign Butcher to 3-year, $11.19M contract

Devils01

7 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Feels like a bit high to me but he did finish in the top 5 points wise on the team.

I was thinking the same thing. He should of been signed at about 2.5-2.75 mil.

whats our cap space salary at now? Around 10 mil?

Edited by Devils01

15 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

I was thinking the same thing. He should of been signed at about 2.5-2.75 mil.

whats our cap space salary at now? Around 10 mil?

I was thinking the opposite. It's only a 3 year deal, so I feel like under 4 is reasonable.  And I actually can't believe he was top 5 in points on our team last year - that's a true stat?  Wow.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with this. I think Butcher still has quite a bit of potential.  

I thought the term was going to wind up being 4+ seasons, but this deal feels right...no complaints.  Funny how quickly “all that cap space” starts getting eaten up though.  At least some money will be coming off in the next few seasons (like Greene).

I think this is pretty fair, I wouldn't have even blinked if we gave him $4M+ over a long term deal so somewhere in the $3M range sounds good to me. Thought Butcher was quite good last year even if the production wasn't there as much as it was in his rookie year, ain't nothing wrong with this deal for me other than it being 3 years. Would have preferred a 2 year bridge to maintain his RFA status or a long-term deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I thought the term was going to wind up being 4+ seasons, but this deal feels right...no complaints.  Funny how quickly “all that cap space” starts getting eaten up though.  At least some money will be coming off in the next few seasons (like Greene).

Yeah I would have liked 4+ too. It is kind of crazy we only have 1 player signed through 2022-23 (Severson)..I know that will change fast (hopefully Hall), but just shows how core-less the team was. No one was earning long term contracts. 

Greene (5), Zajac (5.75), Schneider (6) in consecutive years coming off the books or at least greatly reduced if re-signed.

Just now, Steadevils said:

Yeah I would have liked 4+ too. It is kind of crazy we only have 1 player signed through 2022-23 (Severson)..I know that will change fast (hopefully Hall), but just shows how core-less the team was. No one was earning long term contracts. 

Greene (5), Zajac (5.75), Schneider (6) in consecutive years coming off the books or at least greatly reduced if re-signed.

You will say thanks to ray that he didn’t sign butcher for more because after this three years Hughes and smith will be without a contract.

I think this deal is perfect for both sides. 3 years gives us flexibility down the road, the AAV is under $4m which is where I would think it should be. 

I approve of this deal. 

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

How many pages will the thread about Zachas contract get to I wonder?

Well I’m still here so I guess the answer is probably “twice as long as it needs to be because of memes”. 

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I mean the Devils have added close to $20 million over 3 players that were not on last years' roster. That's exactly what we should be doing with "all that cap space".

After the Butcher signing we're at roughly 8.7m in cap space. We've gotta sign Zacha (guess 2m at a high-ish end), and if Taylor Hall's extension comes in at 10m that's only really an additional 4m on the cap. When it's time to sign Nico, Jesper, and Blackwood next summer we'll have 15m coming off the books from Vatanen, Greene, and Simmonds alone. 

TL;DR: we fine dog

I don’t have any issues with the space being used.  More just a general comment on how quickly it starts disappearing.  But yeah, still in fine shape long term at the moment.  

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I think this deal is perfect for both sides. 3 years gives us flexibility down the road, the AAV is under $4m which is where I would think it should be. 

I approve of this deal. 

Well I’m still here so I guess the answer is probably “twice as long as it needs to be because of memes”. 

I'd expect nothing less 😀

12 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

I wasn’t really saying that I was hoping for 4+...more that I thought that’s what was coming.  I’m good with 3.  

What’s nice is that Shero didn’t sign any JVR-types to bad deals “just to do something”.  So yeah, no rotten long-term deals on the books right now.

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Price is a little high but Butcher did produce more than was expected of him over his first two years. Can't complain. 

He has the potential to be right there with Severson in terms of being our highest scoring defenseman. His stats dropped off a little last year compared to the previous season, which I attribute to the Taylor Hall Effect. 

But if playing with elite guys like Hall helped him bump up his numbers in his rookie season, then our recent roster improvements bode well for him.

i think this deal winds up being just about a perfect deal for both sides. 

That said, if the price is a little too high, what is your opinion on the “correct” price?

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He has the potential to be right there with Severson in terms of being our highest scoring defenseman. His stats dropped off a little last year compared to the previous season, which I attribute to the Taylor Hall Effect. 

But if playing with elite guys like Hall helped him bump up his numbers in his rookie season, then our recent roster improvements bode well for him.

i think this deal winds up being just about a perfect deal for both sides. 

That said, if the price is a little too high, what is your opinion on the “correct” price?

I was hoping to get him at 3M. He had a big rookie season and produced moderately on a terrible team last year, I suppose that gave him some leverage. I don't think he has Severson's potential all around, but hopefully, Severson ends up being vastly underpaid. 

Overall, we win the Kerfoot semi-swap.