Sign in to follow this  
Devils01

Devils sign Butcher to 3-year, $11.19M contract

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He has the potential to be right there with Severson in terms of being our highest scoring defenseman. His stats dropped off a little last year compared to the previous season, which I attribute to the Taylor Hall Effect. 

But if playing with elite guys like Hall helped him bump up his numbers in his rookie season, then our recent roster improvements bode well for him.

i think this deal winds up being just about a perfect deal for both sides. 

That said, if the price is a little too high, what is your opinion on the “correct” price?

I was hoping to get him at 3M. He had a big rookie season and produced moderately on a terrible team last year, I suppose that gave him some leverage. I don't think he has Severson's potential all around, but hopefully, Severson ends up being vastly underpaid. 

Overall, we win the Kerfoot semi-swap. 

4 mil per  hmmm. A bit much for a specialty dman...  yet a good hedge and leverage for sami Valley negotiations.. I expect smith to make the team this year.. so I don't see butch being a top 2 pairing player .. it's nice to have cap space..

honestly i think its a bit of a misstep by Shero, 3 years brings him right to UFA right at a time that alot of our young guys will need raises. Butcher has proven himself to be nhl caliber, and if he improves his skating and positioning a bit he'll be a solid 2nd pairing D at that time asking for $6m

I know shero like the flexibility of shorter term deals but I would have preferred to try and get 4 or 5 years even if it meant more aav.

As much as I gripe about last summer, this summer has to be one of the best ever in terms of signings/trades and drafting.

I mean, just look at all the new talent we added.

This deal is great, I didn't really want him on a huge long term contract yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Feels like a bit high to me but he did finish in the top 5 points wise on the team.

Actually, he was 8th.  

Palms, Nico, Zajac, Severson, Hall (in 33GP lol), Coleman, and Bratt all had more. 

Unless you were talking about his rookie season...

58 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I was hoping to get him at 3M. He had a big rookie season and produced moderately on a terrible team last year, I suppose that gave him some leverage. I don't think he has Severson's potential all around, but hopefully, Severson ends up being vastly underpaid. 

Overall, we win the Kerfoot semi-swap. 

I’m ok overpaying a guy by $730,000. Which sounds crazy when you say it out loud. Nobody ever overpays me by $730,000. 

14 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Like it when guys sound happy. 

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m ok overpaying a guy by $730,000. Which sounds crazy when you say it out loud. Nobody ever overpays me by $730,000. 

Nobody ever overpays me at all... 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, moustic said:

Nobody ever overpays me at all... 

You're an A+ poster here Moustic!

There-- consider yourself overpaid....with a complement. That's worth more than 730K anyway.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You're an A+ poster here Moustic!

There-- consider yourself overpaid....with a complement. That's worth more than 730K anyway.

i mean... thanks... but if it's overpaid with a complement... mean... that ... it means that... you don't believe it... i'm just a A- poster for you right ? You bastard ! 
But thanks.. i will take it to the bank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was thinking the opposite. It's only a 3 year deal, so I feel like under 4 is reasonable.  And I actually can't believe he was top 5 in points on our team last year - that's a true stat?  Wow.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with this. I think Butcher still has quite a bit of potential.  

Yea, but isn't saying he finished in the top five in points on last year's team kind of damning with faint praise?  Like saying he's the smartest kid in remedial math or the tallest dwarf.

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

honestly i think its a bit of a misstep by Shero, 3 years brings him right to UFA right at a time that alot of our young guys will need raises. Butcher has proven himself to be nhl caliber, and if he improves his skating and positioning a bit he'll be a solid 2nd pairing D at that time asking for $6m

I know shero like the flexibility of shorter term deals but I would have preferred to try and get 4 or 5 years even if it meant more aav.

As @MB3 said earlier in this thread, we will have contracts coming off the books very soon, and not to mention the moderate cap increase

Posted (edited)

Of all the players on the team, save for Zajac and Greene, no player has really bought into Jersey more than Butcher. He's spoken about missing the lakes of the midwest, but he really seems to like living in Jersey and being a part of the Devils. He was also the first to congratulate Hughes on Twitter after he was drafted and welcome him to "Jersey." He was also there at Hughes' press conference and showed enthusiasm. Remember, Butcher is a player who chose to be here over anywhere else in the NHL when he left college. It's nice to see a player really want to be here and be excited about the future of the team. So yeah, I'm not upset he was rewarded with a generous payday. 

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It's funny Severson has been around awhile and so you tend to forget, him and Butcher are only half year apart in age. At the moment they're both 24. I'm not sure how much better Butcher gets from here. Severson I'm still expecting a lot out of.

Edited by Neb00rs

Saw he was married this past weekend.  Quite a good few days for him recently.  Came across this...

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/gift-registry/tayler-studinski-and-will-butcher/r5941114

Couldn’t he have just purchased everything they needed in one swoop?  I guess that is called being fiscally responsible and allow others to get for you since that’s what a registry is for any way.  Just thought it was funny to see.  Anyone want to chip in and buy one of the remaining items? Lol

6 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

Yea, but isn't saying he finished in the top five in points on last year's team kind of damning with faint praise?  Like saying he's the smartest kid in remedial math or the tallest dwarf.

Yep, didn't necessarily mean it as oraise for him - I was more shocked that he was top 5 because I didn't exactly think he had a great season points wise, so if he was, that's indeed sad. 

6 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Of all the players on the team, save for Zajac and Greene, no player has really bought into Jersey more than Butcher. He's spoken about missing the lakes of the midwest, but he really seems to like living in Jersey and being a part of the Devils. He was also the first to congratulate Hughes on Twitter after he was drafted and welcome him to "Jersey." He was also there at Hughes' press conference and showed enthusiasm. Remember, Butcher is a player who chose to be here over anywhere else in the NHL when he left college. It's nice to see a player really want to be here and be excited about the future of the team. So yeah, I'm not upset he was rewarded with a generous payday. 

To me 24 is still pretty young - I don't see why either guy doesn't have at least a year or two to continue to improve until they eventually hit their peaks and we'll know what we get with them.    Also agreed about how he chose to be here - def want guys like that around and it is smart to reward them for loyalty and dedication.  

8 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

As I already pointed out, he didn’t. It was 2 years ago. 

8 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

this is true and why i wouldnt want to trade him unless we really reaaaally have to. That's something the Rangers would do

• Like 1

Butcher didn't have as good of a year offensively but I think this year was more about becoming a more well rounded defenseman. He was being used in different situations this year. I do think they would like him to step into the Greene role (before his decline) of being useful in all kinds of situations

20 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Butcher didn't have as good of a year offensively but I think this year was more about becoming a more well rounded defenseman. He was being used in different situations this year. I do think they would like him to step into the Greene role (before his decline) of being useful in all kinds of situations

His forwards also mostly played for the Binghamton Devils

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 1:09 PM, Neb00rs said:

Well said 👌