Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AEWHistory

Shattenkirk back on the market I guess

Recommended Posts

Rangers to buy out Kevin Shattenkirk

We really dodged a bullet on that one.  Still, if he came over to play for a minimal, trial contract I wouldn’t mind signing him.  I can’t blame him too much for failing with the Rangers.  After all, MSG is like a hockey career cemetery.  So if we could get him on the rebound for a good year or two, then okay.  However, I don’t see that happening.  My guess is that he will still command a sizeable contract and/or want longer than he should get.  After you’re done dancing’s a jig about another Rangers bust let me know what you think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devils really don’t have room for him.  PK, Severson, Butcher and Vatanen can already provide offense...and that’s not even factoring in Ty Smith.  

But if I’m a team that doesn’t figure to make the playoffs and has cap space, I’d sign him to a one-year $3.5 - 4 million deal.  Hopefully you’re able to flip him to a playoff contender for pieces later.  He’s pretty much a “show me” guy now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

under NO circumstance would I sign him.Shatty was offered more $$ AND term to come to Devils, but turned NJ down cause he always wanted to be a Ranger. Trotz said he sucked as Dman in Wash!  If he offered to play for $1, don't want him to soil our jersey. Feel same way about Vesey.

Devil fans have booed former payers for not signing here at a hometown discount.  How short their memory is. I hope he finds a lovely home in the outskirts of Edmonton. he is dead to me. we signed Butcher, and won

 

Edited by vadvlfan
additional stuff
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really seems like he's just going to end up somewhere on a cheap "show me" deal, which is hilarious for a guy who spurned other teams to go to the bright lights brah, serves ya right.

For teams that are actually good though, maybe Montreal gives him a shot? Could also see him back with the Blues, which would also be hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

It really seems like he's just going to end up somewhere on a cheap "show me" deal, which is hilarious for a guy who spurned other teams to go to the bright lights brah, serves ya right.

For teams that are actually good though, maybe Montreal gives him a shot? Could also see him back with the Blues, which would also be hilarious.

Maybe if a better team loses a guy to injury, with no one to bring up to fill in...then I guess Shattenkirk could find his way on to a good team.  He may even be one of those guys who doesn’t get a job until the season’s already begun.  I don’t know how low his stock is among GMs at the moment...but I’ll be shocked if he gets anything beyond one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bright lights brah, big city brah, hair club for men brah 

(but if signing him allows Ray to trade Vatanen for assets or pick replenishment Id be interested)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd sign him for 1m just to make him sit in the press box and watch a real team play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bright lights brah, big city brah, hair club for men brah 

(but if signing him allows Ray to trade Vatanen for assets or pick replenishment Id be interested)

The bitch would need Bosley more than Hair Club or Rogaine

If his game didn't nosedive in NY, I'd consider him on a Stafford-esq PTO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The bitch would need Bosley more than Hair Club or Rogaine

If his game didn't nosedive in NY, I'd consider him on a Stafford-esq PTO.

He spent a lot of that time injured. I don't know if his game disappeared that quick. I'm just saying at a low-cost one year, I could understand the move. I'm not a fan of him picking them over us, but I am a fan of improving the team whenever we can

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He spent a lot of that time injured. I don't know if his game disappeared that quick. I'm just saying at a low-cost one year, I could understand the move. I'm not a fan of him picking them over us, but I am a fan of improving the team whenever we can

100% real-talk--yea you don't hold it against him just because he picked the Rags. If you can improve your team you do it. The real question is, did his game fall off or was that just the injury or the pressure of the BrIgHt LiGhTs BrAh. I am not sure on the probability he has a bounce back year, but I'd have for him to sign a 1yr 1-2m deal and have him put up 35-40pts. Pure fomo, someone will take a chance. It'll be interesting if the Gardiner affects things at all. Shattenkirk at his peak put up better numbers than Gardiner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a puck moving defense man and a PP specialist playing right side, even if he did not stand us up in free agency for the Rags there is no room on the right for a puck moving D. Only type of defense man we need is physical minded stay at home D-man preferably playing the left side!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Shattenkirk signed with the Devils in 2017 we would still have Henrique. There would been no need at the time to trade for Vatanen. The Devils even offered him a better deal. Screw him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dillon said:

If Shattenkirk signed with the Devils in 2017 we would still have Henrique. There would been no need at the time to trade for Vatanen. The Devils even offered him a better deal. Screw him. 

Henrique was never anything special (just had a couple of very special moments), and now represents poor value with what he’s getting paid in Anaheim.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Henrique was never anything special (just had a couple of very special moments), and now represents poor value with what he’s getting paid in Anaheim.  

Yeah I like Henrique but I don't get the anger people still have about trading him. I remember we thought he and Hall would light it up together and it didn't really happen like that. Still a good trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah I like Henrique but I don't get the anger people still have about trading him. I remember we thought he and Hall would light it up together and it didn't really happen like that. Still a good trade

He was one of the first big personalities the Devils had coming out of the Lou era.  I think that has something to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine a situation like this would make other players in the league think twice before leaving money on the table to take a hometown discount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I would imagine a situation like this would make other players in the league think twice before leaving money on the table to take a hometown discount. 

I don't think so. Most players are confident enough to bet on themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think so. Most players are confident enough to bet on themselves. 

To a fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think so. Most players are confident enough to bet on themselves. 

You can have all the confidence in the world and still have a career changing injury. I think most players would be foolish to leave money on the table, at the very least in terms of years when something like this could easily happen to any of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

You can have all the confidence in the world and still have a career changing injury. I think most players would be foolish to leave money on the table, at the very least in terms of years when something like this could easily happen to any of them. 

And yet Lebanc says "hello" from San Jose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To see the name "Shattenkirk" on a Devils jersey would be a disgrace to the uniform.

Let him rot somewhere else on a PTO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

You can have all the confidence in the world and still have a career changing injury. I think most players would be foolish to leave money on the table, at the very least in terms of years when something like this could easily happen to any of them. 

Its just a part of hockey though. I know a few guys did it for us back in the day. I remember the NHLPA being really mad at McKay and Brodeur for signing below market value. McKays was after that 20 goal season I think. CR1976 probably remembers better than me though. 

Who knows who many guys have done it for Shero?

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.