2019 NFL Season General Discussion

'7'

Hall of Fame game was tonight. It always sort of sneaks up on you...but camps are open and the NFL season is underway

All general NFL discussion about games, injuries, controversy etc. can go here. We'll have lots to talk about as the NFL embarks on its 100th season

NFL-Logo.png

And the pre-season is always so god damn never-ending. Still five more weeks to go

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that figures, after getting suspended for two different seasons in Cleveland, the Patriots get a quick reinstatement of Josh Gordon.  Not that he won't get suspended again after another few weeks anyway but still you'd figure after getting suspended for multiple seasons that the next ban wouldn't be a few lousy weeks.

The whole Gordon situation is weird.  Was there any actual confirmation of substance use this last time?  Maybe that’s why he avoided losing another full season?

I wouldn’t have given him a second chance if I’m the Pats...guy basically disappeared when they needed him most...they obviously overcame that, but why give him the chance to do it again?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Damn...nice job by the Colts organization to complete destroy a guy who might've been a H-O-Famer in a different situation.  As it is, guy retires before his 30th birthday.  Wow indeed...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Damn...nice job by the Colts organization to complete destroy a guy who might've been a H-O-Famer in a different situation.  As it is, guy retires before his 30th birthday.  Wow indeed...

DID NOT see this one coming. Shocked.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

DID NOT see this one coming. Shocked.

Did anyone?  I didn't hear a peep about this being any kind of possibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Did anyone?  I didn't hear a peep about this being any kind of possibility. 

I didn't see it coming 'now' but his quotes about being mentally scarred over his injuries the last couple weeks did have me wondering if this was going to come to a head down the road.  It is just weird timing but shame on the Colts fans for booing him on the sideline tonight.  

As has been mentioned before, the Colts have themselves to blame with how he's been battered and abused since entering the NFL. That entire org has been spoiled rotten with great QB play since 1998 or so. 2012/2013/2014 the entire team was Luck...getting the crap kicked out of him and dragging that franchise to 11-5...with Vick Ballard and Trent Richardson as backs. With TY and whatever was left of Reggie Wayne + a bunch of castoffs at receiver.

Still not 100% certain he stays retired. But if he's not on the field somewhere by the 2020-2021 season I think he's done for good. I don't see him sitting out two full years and coming back

His phone will be ringing off the hook for the foreseeable future. I mean look how Favre was still being pestered after his retirement

Edited by '7'

On 8/24/2019 at 10:35 PM, Daniel said:

Irsay is a worse owner than the Wilpons.  Was gifted the best QB prospect since John Elway and never bothered to get him decent offensive linemen until it was too late. 

And Elway was smart enough to avoid the Irsays at all costs. Irsays dad was a nutjob and his son is a 60 year old man-child

They've been pretty lucky to have had Polian-Peyton-Tom Moore-Dungy as the braintrust there for a long time keeping Jim Irsay at arms length

Edited by '7'

55 minutes ago, '7' said:

As has been mentioned before, the Colts have themselves to blame with how he's been battered and abused since entering the NFL. That entire org has been spoiled rotten with great QB play since 1998 or so. 

Still not 100% certain he stays retired. But if he's not on the field somewhere by the 2020-2021 season I think he's done for good. I don't see him sitting out two full years and coming back

His phone will be ringing off the hook for the foreseeable future. I mean look how Favre was still being pestered after his retirerement

He sounds like a guy who's about as mentally and physically burned out as it gets...and very relieved to be finished.  I'd be stunned if he ever decided to come back...and the Colts decided not to go after him for any bonus money (can't help but wonder how quickly they'd change their tune on that if he suddenly decided to come back next season for another team). 

BUT, it's amazing what a year away from the game can do for someone...could reinvigorate him I suppose.  And chances are he'd only sign up for a team that was pretty much 100% ready to contend for a Super Bowl. 

One completely kooky situation that I could see happening is that Brady decides that he wants out of NE after this year (his contract is voidable) and BB & Co aren't convinced that Stidham is truly ready to take over...I could see them saying to Luck "How about one or two seasons here, in a far better situation than you've ever had in Indy?  Super Bowl or bust."  Of course, Brady would actually have to decide to leave NE, AND Luck would have to truly want to play again.  But if those two events coincided, then I could see a fair chance of that happening.

Don't really agree with Beuerlein's take here:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steve-beuerlein-blasts-andrew-luck-for-retiring/ar-AAGlIhf?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Big difference between starting 86 games in 6 seasons, as opposed to 104 in 14 Steve.  Maybe you can't relate to the workload that Luck had?  Or how much he was expected to carry a Colts team, despite the franchise showing a lack of concern for his well-being? 

And then there's Doug Gottlieb, who just got DESTROYED by Troy Aikman...keep in mind that Gottlieb is best known for having stolen credit cards while attending Notre Dame, as opposed to anything he ever did as an athlete..douche:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/troy-aikman-rips-into-doug-gottlieb-over-andrew-luck-tweet/ar-AAGlK61?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Yeah Gottlieb's just getting reduced to scorched Earth on his Twitter at this point (many of the responses and memes are hysterical)...hope the glass that makes up his house is mighty thick. 

Evan Roberts pretty much said what I was thinking that if you’re a Colts fan you get 48 hours or so to be irrationally upset about it.  Like if Taylor Hall abruptly announced his retirement, I’d be upset about and would probably say some stupid things.  Not on the level of Gottlieb though, where you could have also told him that Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Megatron were all whiney millennials.

23 hours ago, Daniel said:

Evan Roberts pretty much said what I was thinking that if you’re a Colts fan you get 48 hours or so to be irrationally upset about it.  Like if Taylor Hall abruptly announced his retirement, I’d be upset about and would probably say some stupid things.  Not on the level of Gottlieb though, where you could have also told him that Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Megatron were all whiney millennials.

I think you used up your quota on the "stupid things" after your epic UFA meltdown, heh heh.

Fans could've handled the whole Luck situation better at the game, but not like fans haven't had cringeworthy reactions before.  I remember Saints fans cheering when Wade Wilson suffered an injury, and Jets fans did the same when Chad Pennington got hurt during a game.  Fans sometimes throw sh!t on the field (some of which could definitely cause injury) and on rare occasions even run onto the field.  So yeah, expecting purely rational behavior from fans 24/7 is pretty pointless, and from that standpoint, I understand what Evan's saying.

And yeah, no one really wants to hear from a wormy lil' dweeb like Gottlieb anyway, who has a plenty embarrassing skeleton in his closet to boot. 

Really good movie for you to check out:  Borg vs. McEnroe.  It's relevant to this topic because it shows that for certain individuals, they simply decide that they're done and that they're burned out and that even though many will question why or how, that some guys simply need to get away...Borg quit very abruptly and suddenly at the age of 26.  The movie did a great job of showing how the pressure and attention simply wore him down to the point where he just didn't want or need it anymore.  And that's where Gottlieb came off as such as ass in judging Luck...Gottlieb can't possibly relate to what any of Luck's been through, on any level, and I'm sorry, you'd think someone who was such a douche in his youth wouldn't be so quick to pass judgment. 

All this being said, it could be that Gottlieb, like so many other "short on real talent" media schmucks, threw out a viewpoint that may not reflect his true feelings at all, but both he and some of his colleagues know that they'll get attention no matter what, and it doesn't matter whether it's good or bad, all that matters is that people are talking about them.  Good ol' Neverson would do that, with the constant negativity and finding ways to throw Ranger references into his Devils articles.  His articles often sucked and we'd all rant about it, and that was likely exactly what he was going for.  He had already won because we were talking about him.

It’s slightly different retiring to smoke pot or run to your home country to cash rubles and coast in a second rate league than what Luck did. Hell nobody even really knew for sure why Luck retired at that point, for all anyone knew he could have had a debilitating illness.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 8:21 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

It’s slightly different retiring to smoke pot or run to your home country to cash rubles and coast in a second rate league than what Luck did. Hell nobody even really knew for sure why Luck retired at that point, for all anyone knew he could have had a debilitating illness.

Wouldn't shock me if doctors already told Luck he's showing signs of some irreversible cognitive issues down the road. The Ricky Williams thing also had to do with some terrible social anxiety issues. And I think that's part of why he self medicated. I remember he used to be too afraid to even take his helmet off in the locker room when talking to reporters. Definitely something deeper going on there with Williams. Almost like a stage fright issue. Initially it was thought he was being aloof or just eccentric 

Just looking at his old numbers though, Williams ran for 1000 yards even in only 10 games in 2000 while also catching 44 passes for 409. Those are insane numbers. 

Over 16 games that projects to 1,600 yards rushing, 70 receptions for 650 yards. Monstrous production

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, '7' said:

Wouldn't shock me if doctors already told Luck he's showing signs of some irreversible cognitive issues down the road. The Ricky Williams thing also had to do with some terrible social anxiety issues. And I think that's part of why he self medicated. I remember he used to be too afraid to even take his helmet off in the locker room when talking to reporters. Definitely something deeper going on there with Williams. Almost like a stage fright issue. Initially it was thought he was being aloof or just eccentric 

Just looking at his old numbers though, Williams ran for 1000 yards even in only 10 games in 2000 while also catching 44 passes for 409. Those are insane numbers. 

Over 16 games that projects to 1,600 yards rushing, 70 receptions for 650 yards. Monstrous production

Ricky was such a beast.... he had HOF talent. Dave Wannstedt was the reason he ‘retired’, because that idiot thought making Ricky into a human battering ram was the only way to score points. Ricky had had enough of getting 40 damn carries a game and getting the sh!t beat out of him. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, '7' said:

From everything you read, it doesn't seem like doctors have any ability to say that a 30 year old person who doesn't appear to have any cognitive issues will or will not have them down the road, even if he is a football player.  So I think it was probably that he was generally in lots of pain all over the rest of his body from the repeated beatings he took, and all it took was one more injury that seemed like it was going to be a chronic thing for him to retire, which is much easier when you're that young and have had at least $150 million in earnings from your contract and various endorsements.

That reminds me to tell Chris Grier if he's reading this, do not under any circumstances trade Tunsil.

Edit:  If you want a comparison of who Luck might have been afraid of ending up like, look no further than Joe Namath.  The drinking is what made his mind a little slower after football, but that was probably a result of the whole barely being able to walk sort of thing.

Edited by Daniel