2019 NFL Season General Discussion

'7'

Giants had one to forget last night too. Black cat, and of course they totally fall apart after the cat ran onto the field. 

Jones taking his lumps, he has a very serious fumbling issue. He is a pretty decent accurate thrower with good mechanics but poor pocket awareness. Not a ton of zip on the ball either. His arm strength isn't great but it's good enough to play in the league. Still you don't want him throwing it up all that often

He's got a better line than Darnold(and below average counts for much better than the Jets), but when he gets hit that ball comes out

Edited by '7'

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=myles+garrett+mason+rudolph&&view=detail&mid=87749FB5C0CDC71AFA9187749FB5C0CDC71AFA91&&FORM=VRDGAR

Obviously this is pretty fvcked, and I'm sure Garrett will pay severely...but I can't help but wonder what additional reaction/commentary would've been out there had a white player done this to a black QB...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The officials are such little c*unts, they really are.  Refs miss an obvious PI call in the Texans - Ravens game, Texans rightly challenge, and the refs (like they almost always do) insult everyone’s intelligence by upholding the wrong no-call.  Sucks to have this crap slowing down games and disrupting the flow if these a$$holes won’t dare admit that they fvcked up a (non)call.

On 11/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, Daniel said:

Rumors that Tua suffered the same hip injury as Bo Jackson.  Woo boy.  

Wow. And that pretty much led to a degenerative condition. Even for a physical specimen like Bo there was no coming back from that

Teams are going to have to see/hear a lot more than "successful surgery...prognosis excellent" They're going to have to see it to believe it regarding his recovery

Edited by '7'

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Supposedly the big difference is Bo's injury was undiganosed and made worse before it gave out while with Tua they were able to fix it right away.  

Yes. Good point regarding that. Hopefully he can make a full recovery but...I'd still be hesitant with him going forward regarding handing the keys of my franchise to him

8 hours ago, '7' said:

Yes. Good point regarding that. Hopefully he can make a full recovery but...I'd still be hesitant with him going forward regarding handing the keys of my franchise to him

If I were the Phins, I’d take him with whatever their top pick is so long as he’s cleared medically and the scouts believe in his ability.  Having two other first round picks, two seconds, Josh Rosen, a bunch of potential good free agent QBs allows them to take a chance.

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Yeah it's not even just this injury that would have me worried with Tua, it's the growing Nolan Patrick-like medical chart of injuries in general before even playing a pro schedule.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Safe to say that the Pats don’t look nearly as impressive against non-JV teams.  They’ll make the playoffs, but doesn’t look like they go deep without some serious smoke and mirrors.  

And still the Pats almost came back lol, I swear these teams find ways to cower at the sight of the Pat helmets.

They probably will be on the road for the AFC Championship at this point, but they'll still get their bye and only have to win one home game to advance as usual, they'll probably relish being the underdog at Baltimore assuming they don't get tripped up.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It’s not even a guarantee that they win their division (though it will obviously help a ton if they beat the Chiefs).  Not sure what would happen at this point if the Bills beat the Pats, and they finish tied for the AFC East.  But I can see the Pats going 2-2 in their next four very easily.  

Brady really fattened up his numbers in garbage time...somehow wound up with 3 TDs tonight.  Now only four in back of Manning for the all-time lead.  Pretty sure Brees will own that one by next season though.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL auditioning for his next team

Oh man that's kinda awkward.  But of course this was always a possibility...as long as Jones was healthy and not off-the-charts bad, the job was going to be his no matter what (as it should be). 

Not sure that anyone will bite no matter what he does though. 

I still don't know what direction the Giants are going in

Full overhaul? GM and Coach? If they do that a new regime may not be on-board with Jones as the clear cut future. To me he's done enough to prove that he should be but who knows. There's been more good than bad but the bad has sometimes looked very bad. He's turned the ball over 21 times. 11 picks and 10 lost fumbles. You have to hope that that's correctable. 

Maybe Gettleman stays, Shurmur goes? I could see Mara doing that even though it's not really the advisable course of action in this situation. But it maintains some stability and continuity.

The Giants are a very image conscious team and always want to project order, tradition, stability etc. They don't have that right now. I still think they're desirable for a top coaching candidate, just not quite what they used to be. 3-13 or 2-14, there's no way Shurmur stays. That's already Kotite level

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I still don't know what direction the Giants are going in

Full overhaul? GM and Coach? If they do that a new regime may not be on-board with Jones as the clear cut future. To me he's done enough to prove that he should be but who knows. There's been more good than bad but the bad has sometimes looked very bad. He's turned the ball over 21 times. 11 picks and 10 lost fumbles. You have to hope that that's correctable. 

Maybe Gettleman stays, Shurmur goes? I could see Mara doing that even though it's not really the advisable course of action in this situation. But it maintains some stability and continuity.

The Giants are a very image conscious team and always want to project order, tradition, stability etc. They don't have that right now. I still think they're desirable for a top coaching candidate, just not quite what they used to be. 3-13 or 2-14, there's no way Shurmur stays. That's already Kotite level

Didn't Gettleman hire Ron Rivera in Carolina?

And I absolutely can't see them cutting bait on Jones now.  The fans and the media seem to like him for the time being.  Plus, if they stink again they will be in line to draft Trevor Lawrence.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:48 PM, Daniel said:

Didn't Gettleman hire Ron Rivera in Carolina?

And I absolutely can't see them cutting bait on Jones now.  The fans and the media seem to like him for the time being.  Plus, if they stink again they will be in line to draft Trevor Lawrence.

It was Marty Hurney who hired Rivera. And yea it's definitely going to be Jones for at least the near future. Whatever new coach steps in will prob sign off on that and say that publicly whether they believe it or not. If they don't..then they won't have much patience with him if Jones starts to go south.

I've heard here and there the Giants really like Josh McDaniels, but somebody may beat them to the punch for him. If he leaves N.E. at all

The clock has finally struck midnight on the Pats’ dynasty.  No complaints...most fans would kill to have half of their run.  Maybe they squeeze out one last playoff win with smoke and mirrors, but the B&B run as we know it is done.  

Curious to see if Brady pulls a Marty and gives it one last try with someone else next season...or if he realizes that he simply has nothing more to prove and retires.  

• 2 weeks later...

Coughlin out as Jaguars director of football operations. Apparently he was going to "retire" at the end of the season anyway. This had more to do with skirting NFLPA guidelines regarding getting treatment at team facilities over the offseason (he forced Fowler to and fined him almost a million dollars when he refused) 

Doubt Coughlin is through with football. He'll resurface somewhere. Maybe the Giants though not in a GM role. Or maybe a GM role if they fire Gettleman (which they should). I could see them bringing Coughlin in to look over Gettlemans shoulder and then move Coughlin into the role in 2021 if things get worse next year. Coughlin just seems like the type of guy who will only retire once he's in a box

Coughlin can be effective if you don't let him be too much of a draconian micro manager. That's what he defaults to. But with the Giants when they had him tone things down a bit, they won Super Bowls

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/the-sad-chaotic-ending-of-tom-coughlins-jaguars-chapter/

Tom Coughlin’s time in Jacksonville was ending, but did it have to end like this?

Pro Football Talk reported on Wednesday that Coughlin was planning to step down as the Jaguars’ executive vice president next week. Owner Shad Khan told the website that they did not give Coughlin a chance to resign before axing him unceremoniously on Wednesday.

Coughlin’s first season back in Jacksonville saw the team stunningly reach the AFC Championship game, losing a heartbreaker to the eventual champion Patriots. But the past two seasons they have gone 10-20 since and now have Nick Foles’ $88 million contract hanging over them.